Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 6 or CentOS 7?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 6 or CentOS 7?

Greetings,

I'm using Debian on all of my servers and I thought that I should give CentOS a spin. You know, get to know the environment. I already hate it. First problem encountered: is CentOS 7 stable enough to run it as a server?

I ran Debian 7 immediatly after it was released without any issues - I knew it was throughly tested prior to official release. Cannot say the same for CentOS or at least I cannot find the appropiate info.

Cheers!

Comments

• I prefer 6 a lot of repos are available compared to 7, 6's expiry is 2020 where 7 is 2024..

Thanked by 2Blanoz TheKiller
  • Centos 7 is stable enough. There're a few new things you will have to take time get used to them. I've been using centos >=6.5 for a while now, so 6.5 or 7 are ok.

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • I haven't run anything mission critical on CentOS 7 yet, but haven't had any problems so far. CentOS in general have been very stable for me over the years.

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • CentOS 6 because CentOS 7 has systemd.

• @rds100 said:
    CentOS 6 because CentOS 7 has systemd.

All distributions will eventually end up using systemd. It's a world conspiracy :-P

I believe that there are aliases for systemd so you can continue using "service foo restart". I'm not advanced enough to throw with shite into this matter more than that.

• Blanoz said: All distributions will eventually end up using systemd. It's a world conspiracy :-P

I believe that there are aliases for systemd so you can continue using "service foo restart". I'm not advanced enough to throw with shite into this matter more than that.

It would be easy to switch between boot systems in Debian 8.

• I have been testing Centos7 for sometime now, Though we haven't migrated any of our Critical nodes to Centos7 yet. I would suggest you to stick to Centos 6/6.5 for a while to begin with.

• Unfortunately I have got a critical system running on a Linode CentOS 7 machine and its been a royal pain in my behind.

1. (Not CentOS fault) R1Soft haven't got their kernel module compiler working natively with it, so you have to use pre-compiled kernel modules, which can take some time to be released, which means not updating your kernel till R1Soft release the module.

2. For some really annoying reason it randomly forgets its default route, so I have to re-add it via the 'ip' command. I have written a cron script to add it when it gets removed to avoid any major downtime, however I really need to either find the issue or move the critical system to a server running CentOS 6.

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • emreemre Member, LIR

still using centos 6.x on all my directadmin boxes.

directadmin for centos 7 is still beta...

• use centos 6 if you use any of the control panels and such software.. cpanel/ directadmin doesnt support it yet, mainly due to systemd and the changes it brings in.. I am just running a test environment on centos7, no production servers on it yet

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2014

I've been running CentOS 7 on my desktop and I quite enjoy it for that use. For servers, it's fine but there are definitely some things to get used to in the repos. For example, I noticed I can't use mod_php with Apache straight from the repos when using anything but the Prefork MPM, due to the way that PHP was compiled. Nothing I can't fix myself, it just surprised me and really changed my workflow for basic LAMP configuration. For that reason, sticking with 6 for production at the moment until I nail down my new workflows.

Thanked by 2Blanoz vRozenSch00n
  • Oh dear, it consumes 117MB RAM from a fresh minimal start -vs- 48MB Debian with just fail2ban. Need to poach and tune some apps.

• +1 for CentOS 6

• Both not the best choice. Debian is doing better in my opinion.

• @Jono20201 said:
    Unfortunately I have got a critical system running on a Linode CentOS 7 machine ...
    2. For some really annoying reason it randomly forgets its default route, so I have to re-add it via the 'ip' command.

This post may be related: http://serverfault.com/a/638655

• @rds100 said:
    CentOS 6 because CentOS 7 has systemd.

Ugh, I can't stand systemd . . . what an abomination.

• Sadly havent had a lot of time to play with CentOS7, but it does look good. The plus to going 7 over 6 is that newer software will end up being available on 7 that might not on 6, or feature 7 has over 6 will be enabled in software. Saying that 6 does have a lot already perfectly fine with it, and its often best to stick with what you know ;)

• I've seen a few stability issues with CentOS 7, not to mention some packages not working correctly.

• @Microlinux said:
    Ugh, I can't stand systemd . . . what an abomination.

systemd monitors processes, so if they die it restarts them, but it won't tell you about it, and the logs aren't in text format.

Solution: install syslog-ng. Then logcheck works again.

• I love centos 6.5 than 7.0 because upgrade to 7.0 they changed all commands. Very hard to remember them again.

6.5 is very easy to use. 6.6. has been released some days ago.

• socialssocials Member
    edited November 2014

@ggsmarket said:
    I love centos 6.5 than 7.0 because upgrade to 7.0 they changed all commands. Very hard to remember them again.

Changed all the commands? They just changed the init system to systemd. So, talking of commands, it's pretty much just

systemctl start sshd

instead of

service sshd start

That sure is hard to remember!

Edit: Okay, and chkconfig is deprecated now, it's just systemctl enable/disable now. Which is much cleaner.

• i preffer 6 too

• im playing w centos 7, i hate long systemctl commands

• Anyone tested Centos 6.6 ???

• turnkeyintenetturnkeyintenet Member, Host Rep

Centos 7 has some issues as noted above. Our most recent issue is mysql being installed prevents dependencies for snmp for instance. Overall i'd future proof and go with Centos 7, but with things like R1soft modules, and things we bump into it's a tough sell to suggest that for anyone going for production.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2014

Better to wait till around v7.3ish for anything server related imho. Maybe another year. Really annoying that they left out support for some of the most common network interfaces. That's the biggest PiTA when you have to add in network support manually since you can't do it over the non-working network interface.

The desktop GUI is pretty nice. I was ready to switch from Mint Cinnamon but hit a show stopper with Wine where they don't include the ability to run 32bit windows programs. It doesn't look like they plan to add that in either and the current work arounds I have seen look too ugly.

• Still using 6, 7 hasn't that much repos atm and is sometimes not supported by some software.

Centos4Life

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited November 2014

Use 6 and compile a new kernel! 7 is too new for me. What's with Centos 6 using a 2.6 kernel.

• CentOS 6. Newer is not always better.

• CentOS 6 is stable and compatible.