Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Internetbs is bullshit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Internetbs is bullshit

7 days ago I an email from their abuse department saying:

We have put your following domain(s) on hold:
domain.com
Details: Malware

The problem here is that my domain does NOT have any A records, its NOT hosting any website at all so it could not host any malware. I used it for private email hosting. I sent 1-2 per week and mostly received stuff (4-5 emails per week).

10 minutes after getting this email I responded from a different email asking for more information. No response.

After 2 hours I hit them up on live chat. They said they got the email and will review it shortly. No response.

Every day for 7 days I talked to them in live chat asking to respond to my email, they said they will shortly. No response.

During this time my domain was completely suspended. My email stopped working and I have no idea what important stuff I missed. No way to move it either. I had to guess when I would get my invoices to pay for servers.

Today after 7 days they finally did (after harassing the live chat again). Now they want me to prove that my whois information is correct by sending my ID to them and describe how I was using the domain...

No idea what I am going to do now. If they dont get me my domain back I will need to get a new one and hit the support of all the services I used to change my email which wont be easy.

Move away your domains if you dont want to become a hostage.

Comments

• jhjh Member

Had a similar experience with Namecheap - Hover are much better

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • I answered to their email, 2 hours are past and no response. This is too familiar... I really hope it wont take them 7 days to respond again

• Hover is part of Tucows aka OpenSRS. They've been pretty solid over the years.

Thanked by 2geekalot george
  • MarkTurner said: They've been pretty solid over the years.

Didn't they use to save passwords in plaintext? Because that just screams no for me for years after it has been found out.

• A lot of registrars are getting more stringent on having valid contact details for your domain, due to new rules brought in by ICANN et al.

said: Today after 7 days they finally did (after harassing the live chat again). Now they want me to prove that my whois information is correct by sending my ID to them and describe how I was using the domain...

No idea what I am going to do now.

So providing ID is not an option?

• I really dont want to. I could if it comes down to it but the point of the domain was the retain my privacy. I never needed an ID to register a domain in the past and I dont see the point doing it now.

But my biggest complain here is that they suspend a domain and stop responding for 7 days. This is supposed to be a high priority issue.

What if I had a website there that made me money? I dont even want to think that emails that I lost because of this.

• alessioalessio Member
    edited November 2014

alexis3333 said: But my biggest complain here is that they suspend a domain and stop responding for 7 days. This is supposed to be a high priority issue.

Agreed, this is not acceptable. I can understand that they might suspend a domain in case of is a violation (even though in your case you were accused of something which is obviously not the case/made up). But if they chose such drastic measures, at least they'd have to react quickly once you contact them to resolve it.

Unfortunately here you'll be most likely forced to provide your ID to get it unsuspended. Once this is done I'd recommend moving it out as quickly as possible however.

• Personally, I wouldn't worry about the privacy element, and you can hide it from public WHOIS if need be.

Understandable RE: poor support, perhaps if they don't at least provide some satisfactory explanation then you can be more sure they're unusable.

• You can transfer your domain to our service. http://domain.centriohost.com

• internetbs = internet bullshit

Thanked by 1rokok
  • alessioalessio Member
    edited November 2014

@CentrioHost said:
    You can transfer your domain to our service.

I doubt that the OP can do this as long as the domain is locked.

And no offence, but it doesnt seem that you are a registrar nor is the lowest price guarantee entirely true. I just dont find it fully appropriate to use the OP's unfortunate experience to advertise one's services.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • @CentrioHost said:
    You can transfer your domain to our service. http://domain.centriohost.com

LOL, not after you screwed everyone with the SSL issue.

• Do you have valid WHOIS info on the domain?

• @Dylan It has a valid sounding name but its not my name. Its not even a .com/net/org domain so I didnt think twice when I entered the info.

• alexis3333 said: Its not even a .com/net/org domain

What tld is it?

• @alexis3333 said:
    Dylan It has a valid sounding name but its not my name. Its not even a .com/net/org domain so I didnt think twice when I entered the info.

So you entered fake whois info and is complaining right now that InternetBS needs to check your ID because they realized your whois info is fake?

Good call InternetBS :)

Thanked by 1marrco
  • zhuanyi said: So you entered fake whois info and is complaining right now that InternetBS needs to check your ID because they realized your whois info is fake?

No, the issue is not the ID verification but that they take 7+ days to respond. And thats unacceptable.

• @alessio said:
    No, the issue is not the ID verification but that they take 7+ days to respond. And thats unacceptable.

Exactly. I would understand if the issue was the fake name. But they said that its "Malware", took down the domain completely and for 7 days did not respond.
    If I fucked up with the fake name I will take the blame. Thats not why im angry about them.

• alexis3333 said: If I fucked up with the fake name I will take the blame. Thats not why im angry about them.

What I wrote at http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/780515/#Comment_780515

• @alessio said:

But if OP is unwilling to provide real whois he has already lost his credibility. How do we know he was not sending emails/receiving emails with malware attachment? Or may be he didn't do that but someone managed to fake the sender's email with his domain and send out virus?

And how do we know OP didn't bump the ticket a million times which caused the delay?

And how do we know OP was telling the truth in general?

Unfortunately InternetBS is not here to provide the other side of the story I guess...

Thanked by 1marrco
  • Any OP anywhere could be lying. The point is that I dont benefit from lying I am just angry at the 7 days of lost emails.

And I am pretty sure there are lots of people out there that dont provide their real whois. I never did, never saw the point in that. This does not mean that I am automatically a bad person.

I bumbed the ticket twice during the 7 days and I did not send any malware. It was personal private email using neomailbox.com.

• alessioalessio Member
    edited November 2014

zhuanyi said: But if OP is unwilling to provide real whois he has already lost his credibility.

Not really. Not using accurate information might lead to a suspension and thats what his registrar did (based on false presumptions though!) but thats all and thats what the OP would take responsibility for.

And making up any further "how do we know he isnt X or Y" allegations doesnt help at all.

Facts (based on the OP's statements) are the registrar suspended the domain on false grounds and didnt respond for more than a week.

• @alessio said:
    Facts (based on the OP's statements) are the registrar suspended the domain on false grounds and didnt respond for more than a week.
    And making up any further "how do we know he isnt X or Y" allegations doesnt help at all.

Agreed that my allegations don't help, but isn't OPs comments also "allegations" which we can't prove?

And also I do agree 7 days is too long, on the ground that OP's statement is true. I used InternetBS purely because they are cheap, never had to contact support so I really don't know how it is, but I've read online that their support ain't one of the fastest ones.

alexis3333 said: And I am pretty sure there are lots of people out there that dont provide their real whois. I never did, never saw the point in that. This does not mean that I am automatically a bad person.

Not saying you are a bad person, just a customer/domain user who refused to follow the rules.

• And this is why you invest in an Enom reseller account and avoid all the BS (pun intended).

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited November 2014

Well TBH they basically told you they'd give you BS.

Internet.BS

"It's in the name"

• The fact that you have given them fake info to register the domain, providing scans of proper ID will only prove that point and they will probably deny you this domain. ICANN requires that you give real info when registering domains. My advice would be to move on and register a new domain with proper information as required. Given the response time of IBS, I would obviously suggest another registrar.

• RockIslander said: ICANN requires that you give real info when registering domains.

It not a domain under ICANN control but a cctld.

RockIslander said: Given the response time of IBS, I would obviously suggest another registrar.

Definitely.

• @alexis3333 said:
    And I am pretty sure there are lots of people out there that dont provide their real whois. I never did, never saw the point in that. This does not mean that I am automatically a bad person.

No, but this means that you should be ready to lose your domain anytime (as registrar or registry may ask you for verification).

Though based on your story, I agree internetbs suspended the domain on false ground.