Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtuaClub: A Diaster - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtuaClub: A Diaster

2»

Comments

• @mpkossen said:
    If this server has IMPI, why would you need VirtuaClub to reinstall the server? Remote attach an iso and you're good to install it yourself. Easy enough.

Their network isn't too nice to OpenVZ. Couldn't get the IP config right.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

said: I saw the LowEndTalk offer for 2x Xeon quadcore, 16gb of ram, 2 1tb drives, and 16 IP addresses. Pretty quickly I jumped on it. At $46 a month that's amazing.

Honestly this is as far as I got, quoted this bit, shook my head and pressed post.

• mpkossen said: If this server has IMPI, why would you need VirtuaClub to reinstall the server? Remote attach an iso and you're good to install it yourself. Easy enough.

Have you ever used the 2007 version of Supermicro's IPMI software? It doesn't work with Java 1.7 and later Java 1.6 versions to begin with. Even IPMITool doesn't work; It took me trying about 10 versions to find one that did when I had to deal with this more recently. In addition, it probably doesn't have virtual media support, which means you can't mount a remote ISO. You have to setup a local share and put images there. All in all, it's complete garbage and almost impossible to re-install an OS with.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

alexh said: almost impossible to re-install an OS with

You said it. "Almost".

@Brandonthegod to be completely honest. If they have never offered free reinstalls to begin with, I wouldn't be pushing my luck to get a different OS every other day. I mean, personally, I would install the different distros and try them locally at home. Once I am all comfortable, I would order the server and request the distro I want.

Personally, I just use CentOS, that has been the de-facto for me :-)

Good luck, and I hope you get what you find.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Does this mean there will be another one of these servers in stock?

Thanked by 4Lee Pwner Mark_R MannDude
  • @Brandonthegod said:
    Initially that was my first request. However I put 2 options in my OS selection (Proxmox and CentOS) they just installed centos.

AFAIK it isn't possible to install Proxmox on CentOS, only on Debian. If you want an alternative, you might want to check OpenNode:

http://opennodecloud.com/opennode-os/2013/01/01/howto-convert-centos-to-on.html

• @OP you can't spell worth shit... Look at the topic title please.

• They've just gave me a KVM for now so that I can do my own reinstall.

• @Brandonthegod said:
    They've just gave me a KVM for now so that I can do my own reinstall.

What did they give you before? I would make sure that the OS is installed right to avoid another possible "diaster".

• @Brandonthegod said:
    They've just gave me a KVM for now so that I can do my own reinstall.

Not a bad turnaround from a budget provider, is it?
    However if you are waiting for this since October 13th I wonder if it is worth it.