Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtuaClub: A Diaster
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtuaClub: A Diaster

BrandonthegodBrandonthegod Member
edited October 2014 in Reviews

On 10/13/14 I saw the LowEndTalk offer for 2x Xeon quadcore, 16gb of ram, 2 1tb drives, and 16 IP addresses. Pretty quickly I jumped on it. At $46 a month that's amazing. However I was unaware of what awaited me. Along with this server being hosted at Quadrants Los Angels data center.

I within 16 hours received the keys to my new box. So far I thought I had hit the jackpot with an amazing new server. However then I really screw up my box and tell them I'd just like a re install (normally much easier to just re install then to fix boot issues (system wasn't booting at all due to configuration issues.) I went a head and had to wait 3 days for a re install. I didn't even get a single reply for 2 days. While they gave me a free month in order to try and make things right. On Sunday after waiting the weekend I receive my keys and begin to work on my server for the second time.

I kept working on my server and on Thursday I decided I'll switch distros again (along with sort of destroying my grub config because I thought I'd be clever and try and do a PXE install. I've been waiting since Thursday and haven't received a single reply. That's absolutely ridiculous. I'd at least appreciate some form of reply in which they inform that they're working on it. Nope. I don't even care about the money and time. I just want information, please don't keep me in the dark.

If VirtuaClub is reading this take a look at my ticket (Ticket #826812) If you simply inform me of what's going on and give me a rough estimate of when you'll get around to it. I'll definitely edit this post for you.

EDIT: Have received a response. Look's like I'll be waiting for another 3 weeks whoopppppie.

"Hello Brandon,

We do not offer free reinstalls nor do we offer any specific time periods where reinstalls will be completed. If you want a reinstall done today there will be a $35 fee.

If you want cancel your service and get a pro-rated refund for your un-used time we can also proceed with that.

Please let me know what you wish to do."

Additional information: they also seem to have not configured the IPMI's SOL correctly and still won't load a console with all of the settings (since I read that it has to be the same bit rate or it goes crazy.) I added to my ticket and I'll be seeing how long it takes.

Sincerely,
A customer.

Thanked by 1Chronic

Comments

• I can understand the frustration, but at $46/mo, reinstalling that many times just from service start probably does not make them big fans of yours.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Brandonthegod

If you are going to make a mess of things on a regular basis then you should get a server that allows you to do the reinstall yourself.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Brandonthegod

If you are going to make a mess of things on a regular basis then you should get a server that allows you to do the reinstall yourself.

Nah not on a regular basis, just wanted to try out a couple of discos (CentOS 5.0, Ubuntu 12.04, CentOS 6.0) figure out which one would do what I want the best.

• @ihatetonyy said:
    I can understand the frustration, but at $46/mo, reinstalling that many times just from service start probably does not make them big fans of yours.

It's not even them doing it. It's that they just don't reply, if they told me "Sorry we have a limit of 2 installs a month. Not a problem with me I'd either pay them the 20-40$ they'd want to do another or just wait until next month. It's the lack of information.

• ihatetonyy said: I can understand the frustration, but at $46/mo, reinstalling that many times just from service start probably does not make them big fans of yours.

You have a point. However, if they offer free OS installs, then they know what they signed up for. IMHO, $46/mo does not even cover the cost for support, setup, OS installs etc... And it seems that many low-end providers (generally speaking, I am not referring to any specific company) will compromise on support quality and offer a cheap service.

Often times, when you see a provider offering a server for $199 and another offering the exact same server for $35.00, you should know you're paying mostly for the support.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Brandonthegod

Seems my brain lost a couple of packets on the way to to consciousness. The first 1 was their fault (appear they screwed up on the switch configuration along with the servers BIOS causing it not to boot on the reboot. The second install I take full responsibility for screwing up.

• BrandonthegodBrandonthegod Member
    edited October 2014

From what I'm aware they purchased a bunch of these servers off lease. It also might help their ISP gives them ips for less then 50 cents each which is really helpful.

• @Brandonthegod I see what you mean.

Well, a common practice is to give the client IPMI Access so they can install their own OS.

I wish I could give you a similar deal with the same price, and let you experience the difference between providers.

Anyway, I hope their service improve :)

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Brandonthegod I see what you mean.

Well, a common practice is to give the client IPMI Access so they can install their own OS.

I wish I could give you a similar deal with the same price, and let you experience the difference between providers.

Anyway, I hope their service improve :)

They did give me an IPMI. Problem is it's the Non-KVM SuperMicro version from 2007.

• Brandonthegod said: They did give me an IPMI. Problem is it's the Non-KVM SuperMicro version from 2007.

Oh dear lord... Yeah, that'll be a huge hassle.

• Literally everyone uses that version and it sucks! :(

• Bananas are pretty tasty, I prefer them in bread or muffins.

Thanked by 2ATHK switsys
  • Pretty much just reboot and Ip config.

@0xdragon said:

Does really suck.

@MrObvious said:
    Bananas are pretty tasty, I prefer them in bread or muffins.

Me too!

• @Brandonthegod

I would not use or trust them again, they had a BullshitPromotion where a few users were offered a "lifetime bronze package" while I understand that is not profitable, I dont like how they just threw us out and just say "if you want it then pay $6 a month" and after I emailed them that how I can trust them if 6 months of idle use of a VPS is considered "a lifetime" I cant imagine how long I would have it if i actually paid and they just ignored me for over a month, but before all that I said how much per month and they replied in 5 minutes - sketchy company...........

Thanked by 1switsys
  • @Stevie said:
    Brandonthegod

I would not use or trust them again, they had a BullshitPromotion where a few users were offered a "lifetime bronze package" while I understand that is not profitable, I dont like how they just threw us out and just say "if you want it then pay $6 a month" and after I emailed them that how I can trust them if 6 months of idle use of a VPS is considered "a lifetime" I cant imagine how long I would have it if i actually paid and they just ignored me for over a month, but before all that I said how much per month and they replied in 5 minutes - sketchy company...........

Yea I heard about that. What really sucks is that the server is amazing. Just their service sucks.

• @Brandonthegod

Yea but the way they switch there minds so fast about everything and there lack of support I would not use them for anything production.

Maybe you should wait for the ARM Cloud servers at online.net? granted they are low spec but its a bit better then these crap company's that plague LET?

• @Stevie said:
    Brandonthegod

Yea but the way they switch there minds so fast about everything and there lack of support I would not use them for anything production.

Maybe you should wait for the ARM Cloud servers at online.net? granted they are low spec but its a bit better then these crap company's that plague LET?

Yep, I'll probably just go back to OVH. They at least could have something fixed in a maximum of 2 hours.

• cassacassa Member
    edited October 2014

What's a diaster? It sounds pretty positive :D

• said: Ticket #826812

The ticket has been replied to you have been given 2 options. One of which is a refund.

Brandonthegod said: They did give me an IPMI. Problem is it's the Non-KVM SuperMicro version from 2007.

It is completely possible to reinstall using the IPMI on the server. I believe in a past ticket I even referred you over to stand alone IPMI program from Supermicro which allows you to use the IPMI without using a browser.

DalekOfSkaro said: You have a point. However, if they offer free OS installs, then they know what they signed up for. IMHO, $46/mo does not even cover the cost for support, setup, OS installs etc... And it seems that many low-end providers (generally speaking, I am not referring to any specific company) will compromise on support quality and offer a cheap service.

We don't offer "free" reinstalls. Reinstalls are $35 we do however reinstall servers for free but only time permitting. A mistake we made was never offering the customer who opened this thread the option to pay to have it done immediately.

MrObvious said: Bananas are pretty tasty, I prefer them in bread or muffins.

Banana bread is freaking awesome!

• @ChrisMiller said:
    Banana bread is freaking awesome!

Console redirection doesn't work because you guys haven't enabled it in the BIOS. Nor does the remote disks either. It's impossible to do my own re install in the current state.

• Don't hope too much for it, if you don't know how to do a thing then better to purchase something from OVH or some where else where you can easily reinstall.

I also have something similar experience with GVH but i'm pretty satisfied because of uptime & network i got, in start i messed the installation & deleted the boot partition :D & requested for reinstall, wait for few days but couldn't get any reply & then i imagine that i've to do myself & all that went good :)

• @brandonthegod

I recommend that you just ask your provider to install Proxmox, you'd be able to create/wipe/control servers from a simple web interface without depending on your provider.

• @Mark_R said:
    brandonthegod

I recommend that you just ask your provider to install Proxmox, you'd be able to create/wipe/control servers from a simple web interface without depending on your provider.

I don't think that any one will do that big change for a user's request.

His provider will have to set up a separate box for running Proxmox host & a LAN network where he have to connect Proxmox box with user's server.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

• @StephenIzzy said:

Correct me if i'm wrong.

You are wrong.. you can run proxmox on a single dedicated server with 1 ip adress.

• @Mark_R said:

Oh man, OP has dedicated server with him & he want them to reinstall OS, how can proxmox help in installing OS on his dedicated server itself ?

• @StephenIzzy said:
    Oh man, OP has dedicated server with him & he want them to reinstall OS, how can proxmox help in installing OS on his dedicated server itself ?

You really have to ask that?

The intention obviously is to create a KVM container using proxmox and messing with that however you wish.. KVM is full virtualization. this way the OP could just destroy, fuck up, re-create the machine at any time without needing to pay some random reinstall fee.

• If this server has IMPI, why would you need VirtuaClub to reinstall the server? Remote attach an iso and you're good to install it yourself. Easy enough.

Thanked by 1shovenose
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2014

@mpkossen said:
    If this server has IMPI, why would you need VirtuaClub to reinstall the server? Remote attach an iso and you're good to install it yourself. Easy enough.

Read the thread?

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @Mark_R said:
    brandonthegod

Initially that was my first request. However I put 2 options in my OS selection (Proxmox and CentOS) they just installed centos.

• BrandonthegodBrandonthegod Member
    edited October 2014

@StephenIzzy said:

Correct me if i'm wrong.

I've got 16 ips.