Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 per YEAR VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5 per YEAR VPS?

96mb96mb Member
edited June 2012 in Providers

Disclaimer: I am not trying to recommend them, and do not shoot me if your 5 bucks is gone...

Just saw this one on WHT: EDIT Order link removed to make Mr. JoeMerit aka LET Policeman happy :)

@JoeMerit Now that's not an offer anymore?

I mean, 5 per month is OK, but 5 per YEAR? Gosh!

Domain hidden behind Private Whois though and payment made to this guy:

Merchant
George Betts

Let's see how long this one will last :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp

Comments

• it's better than give it for free :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The sad part is the guy is going to have to chew through a full /24 to even come close to breaking even.

Then again, he's likely just trying to collect enough right now to pay for the first month.

Check back in a month, i'm sure they'll be toast soon enough.

Francisco

Thanked by 1klikli
  • 96mb96mb Member

True, I have not got a chance to look at that 1 dollar upfront, free VPS yet

But this one looks quite legit, the ToS and AUP seems to be fine and no deadlink whatsoever...

It is not instant provision, but I will let everyone know once I got the VPS

• 96mb96mb Member

@Francisco That's actually what I figured...well, it is OK, I did not get a Starbucks coffee today, so there goes my coffee money haha

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Burst or VolumeDrive I wonder.

• yomeroyomero Member

@96mb said: I did not get a Starbucks coffee today, so there goes my coffee money haha

I want one Q_Q
    But not starbucks... god ¬_¬

• CoreyCorey Member

LOL deadpool

• 96mb96mb Member

@jarland Either way I bet he has to cram in like 200 VPS to the node lol...

I'll post some preliminary tests as soon as I get my VPS :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@Corey Look at my third tag :)

• 96mb96mb Member

Just remembered this thread:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/72506

Good use of the promotion I guess :)

edited June 2012

Maybe he's trying to break even on that or close to it in hopes of upselling. The plans on their site are nothing similar. Still seems shady, hard to upsell when people are scared of your business plan.

• Some datacenters like mine give free ips. Just a thought.

• 96mb96mb Member

Just got the VPS, rebuilding the template now, will post the bench.sh results in a minute...

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited June 2012

Removed as per @JoeMerit request

• "http://secure.xmxen.com" lol he's doing it wrong, should be https not "secure".xmxen

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited June 2012

Remove as per @joeMerit request

• 96mb96mb Member

@taipres I doubt it is secure anyways :) But don't really bother haha, I have active identity theft monitoring, LOL

• CoreyCorey Member

@bijan588 PLEASE don't rely on that. There will be a stopping point to the ips. We were with a provider that gave us free ips, and then suddenly they started charging us for them. You are going to get large and they are going to want their piece of the pie. Hell, even Continuum won't even give us anymore free ips for our chicago location even though Pre Sales we negotiated free ip addresses.

Every DC/Sales Person has this mentality - 'Oh they just think they are going to be big we'll give them this for now because we know they aren't going to use it and they want the piece of mind, because 99% of the people we sell to never make it.'

• Let's check back on the results after 2 weeks, @96mb :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@Boltersdriveer you mean let's check the results after two weeks if they are still around LOL!
    Like what I said, I just think I threw away my coffee money haha

There goes $5. Why not. They can oversell if people like me sign up. I'll run a benchmark and probably barely touch it for months ;)

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited June 2012

**Remove as per @joeMerit request

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@96mb said: Seems they are Burst.Net:

"Located at SCRANTON PA USA"

On another track...isn't the Q8400 a desktop CPU?

• 96mb96mb Member

@raindog308: probably the most likely choice for the owner to recover his cost, although they all cost one dollar for the first month.

Heck, even the 1 dollar dedi I got from Burst is better than this:

CPU model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 1998.000 MHz

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Kinda tempted to do this and then use exigent's offer:
    http://blog.exigent.com.au/?p=142

I can think of a few LEPers (Low End Providers) this could be useful for on here too!

• klikliklikli Member

I think claiming themselves incorporated while they're not is illegal huh? I don't seem to find them in the company house.

• yomeroyomero Member

xmXEN, and is Ovz... lol

• 96mb96mb Member

@BluBoy I'll waste my coffee money for tmr if you are able to get a deal match with them :)

• @BluBoy said: Kinda tempted to do this and then use exigent's offer:

http://blog.exigent.com.au/?p=142

I can think of a few LEPers (Low End Providers) this could be useful for on here too!

Fineprint says that they will match offers from australian providers only ;(

• subigosubigo Member

This is a great month for my proxy chain.