Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best cp for a vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best cp for a vps

rishav_jalanrishav_jalan Member
edited October 2011 in General

hey friends,

i am not a expert in all these stuff so i require help.
I am going to have a 1.5GB RAM vps from bhost..
I need it to host some websites.
I am going to host drupal,wordpress,mybb,opencart..
I want to know,which free control panel should i go for? i searched a lot but didnt got a clear answer..
and even what to use apache or nginx..
i would be using centos.
what optimizations are required.
can anyone provide a autoinstall script with all the things required on a new vps and all optimizations please..

Comments

• Are you specifically looking for a free control panel? Just for the sake of a few £/$'s you could have DirectAdmin or cPanel on a VPS which will make your life a lot easier.

• Well I run a cluster of Kloxo OpenVZ boxes with 128/256 boxes. Doing really well(as in I haven't decided to format the slices in more than 60days). I like my terminal as much as the next LEB reader. But So far Kloxo has worked out great(for sharing my VPS's). There are some weird quirks but the forums are great and support is excellent. I tried a few other free "CPs" but they didn't stack up against things like DA/Cpanel.

If your after some terminal/ssh installers and no GUI try http://tuxlite.com/lnmp-readme/ or maybe http://lnmp.org/ they have some great script installers, takes the fun out of installing and tweaking though.

Good luck on your adventures!

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • rishav_jalan said: i am not a expert in all these stuff so i require help

If you can afford the extra cost, I'd suggest cPanel or DirectAdmin as well, will save you alot of headaches.

• I use ispCP Omega for my website

It's easy to use and free

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • the server will be uaed only by me and maybe friends..so i dont want to spend money on cp

• rishav_jalan said: the server will be uaed only by me and maybe friends..so i dont want to spend money on cp

You should learn to set everything up without a control panel!

• Yup

Without a control panel you can even save some ram

• xprotocept said: Yup

Without a control panel you can even save some ram

but he's going to have 1.5gb of ram!

• Virtualmin :)

• rishav_jalan said: i am not a expert in all these stuff..

cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin (my personal choice is cPanel).. or free alternative kloxo

(most other posts which suggest you something different can be easily ignored because they don't try to be useful to you but try to show you that they use some other alternatives which in most cases aren't that suitable for less experienced with all this stuff and won't make your life easier)

• rishav_jalan said: i am not a expert in all these stuff

ISPConfig. you can be an expert (later). :P

or you can use froxlor. the wiki/site documentation very useless but not in their control panel. the most problem is froxlor doesn't support centos natively.

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • I suggest you use Webmin + Virtualmin.
    Just play with it, and you'll see it's good enough.
    Easy to install as it have it's own Debian repo.

• Simplyfast said: Webmin

+1
    Webmin works for most people

• Webmin.

Why pay 10-15 USD when you can get it for free.

• I will go with Kloxo with cento and use lighthttp.

• You should give ISPconfig a try
    The most recent version 3.0.4 also supports nginx

Thanked by 1yomero
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Foxlor if that is the name is meant to be good for features. I personally dont like control panels and use terminal with my lmnp stack on my 1.5G RAM VPS.

• Try Ajenti - they released it a couple of days ago. FOSS, free.

• Virtualmin works better for hosting purposes. It has and built ontop of webmin. Go to virtualmin.com and download the GPL installation script. Works out of the box for Ubuntu 32bit installations using that script provided too.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Personally, I like GNU cp, but I find BSD cp to also be good. GNU has more features and flags, but BSD usually has a better man page.

If you want my opinions on mv or ls, just ask :-)

Thanked by 2tux breton
  • Providing CP for your clients would be a good idea, but if you are the only one who is going to use the VPS, bash is enough (also recommended as CP will make you lazy, sometimes meaning more dangerous if you don't know or don't want to know what's going on without a CP).

• Well if you consider and overall ease of backing up your system configs and user files, having virtualmin is great. Initial install of virtualmin works perfectly with just a single script, dump all the backups and run it in your new installation, bang! it just works. Just a thought.

• You will also need an addon for autoinstaller your cms. I am using directadmin, and softacoulus for auto installer.

• Actually most control panels have a few scripts built in that you install. An addon isn't required although most hosts have it.

We strip all of that out of course. They're just a security nightmare waiting to happen.