Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner.de - Server auctions any good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner.de - Server auctions any good?

I just managed to snag this for 31 EURO (even less as I'm not in EU and so don't pay VAT).

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/358249?culture=en_GB#358249

Apparently i've got 2 weeks to cancel if i'm not happy, but I just wanted to find out what other users thought about Hetzner's network and if there are any policies that I should be aware about?

Thanks

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited October 2014

Yeah they are good, but remember you get desktop hardware. I got a large server a while agoand cancelled it within two weeks without paying, but now I have a much smaller i7 for personal use.

• @linuxthefish

It will only be for personal things really. Thinking of doing Proxmox and hosting things in containers and then just backing up the container to the secondary drive etc.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

out of curiosity, can you pay in USD instead of EUR?

• LeeLee Veteran

I have a few from them, It's all I use in the EU now. Never had any real issues at all. I watch for ages in the server bidding and catch some crazy deals.

My last one was an E3-1245 with 16GB ram and 4 1TB Drives, 39 EUR per month.

• ayukasayukas Member
    edited October 2014

The HDDs are very old desktop models(30k+ hours). And they don't willing to change it even it has reallocated sectors, they will say it has passed the smart long self-test so just go ahead and keep using that.

• I ordered one of these couple of days ago.

So far, so good.

• Despite having the bad lucks on getting old HDDs and possibly won't get a proper replacement, other stuffs are fairly fine though.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited October 2014

They're pretty good, I got one the other day. Works well, each drive has 10,000 hours but that's fine their made to withstand about 500,000

The only issue I have is their /64 IP blocks, if you do a whois on your block it'll have your name and address.

• LeeLee Veteran

@rmlhhd

The only issue I have is their /64 IP blocks, if you do a whois on your block it'll have your name and address.

You ticked a box that was very clear in telling you this was going to happen.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited October 2014

@W1V_Lee said:
    rmlhhd

I know, I'm not angry, it's fine. Would just prefuer it if they didn't do it.

• LeeLee Veteran

To be honest this is going to become the norm for all providers in time.

• While their prices may be great, flexibility is going to cost you. If you need a block of IPv6 for example (nothing crazy, a /56 or a /48), you need to pay a one-time fee of 49EUR and a monthly fee of 15EUR for the flexipack.

• You can change your RIPE remark things in the robot (edit your user settings), I did that to hide my address from the ipv6.

• I got one with 10000 hours HDD a few days ago. It's good :)

• LeeLee Veteran

Just remember that when using the auction part of their site you are buying old servers. They could have 2 old drives, 2 new ones, 1 new and 1 old. You have 14 days to check it and test it before you even get billed so there is no excuse for anyone to be unhappy with a server before the pay.

As I have said on another thread if you want to get a server with as few hours on the drives as possible then only look for 2TB or 3TB drives. Some of the 1TB drives have low hours but they are a bit pot luck.

Assume that all of the 750GB drives or below will have years of use on them, that does not make them bad though. The 1.5TB drives are the old “enterprise” drives used on the more expensive line up of the day, they are Seagate Constellations and prone to faults, so avoid them to.

I often get the impression that the real issue is that people don’t want old drives because they would not have a clue what to do if it failed.

Thanked by 1edan
  • I got one of the 31 EUR servers a fews days ago. Both disks had a lot of errors. Ticket to Hetzner with smartctl output, they replaced them 1 hour later, downtime 30 minutes. All this on a Friday evening (those living in Germany know what I mean ;-)

Both replacement drives are new ones :)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2014

You will be able to convince Hetzner to replace drives far easier than OVH, I can assure you of that :P

• georgegeorge Member
    edited October 2014

In terms of connectivity, would it be better idea to go with Hetzner over OVH (SYS)/Online.net?

I'm looking to host couple game servers aimed specifically towards "large" user base of competitive players and this (1230v3, 32 gigs ecc, 2x1tb) offer from Online.net looks very interesting, but I've read some mixed reviews about the quality of their network.

What would you guys recommend?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2014

I know a few that host GS's on both, they say it depends on which way the wind is blowing as far as who has the better network.

Most however go with SoYouStart, the overall cost is better now they offer a decent number of IP's to spread the GS's over and of course you get DDoS protection.

If you get a sustained DDoS attack at Hetzner they will tell you to leave.

Thanked by 1george
  • @george said:
    In terms of connectivity, would it be better idea to go with Hetzner over OVH (SYS)/Online.net?

I'm looking to host couple game servers aimed specifically towards "large" user base of competitive players and this (1230v3, 32 gigs ecc, 2x1tb) offer from Online.net looks very interesting, but I've read some mixed reviews about the quality of their network.

What would you guys recommend?

If game server hosting = DDoS, hetzner nullroute you on any attack.

• @linuxthefish said:
    If game server hosting = DDoS, hetzner nullroute you on any attack.

That's understandable, but at this moment it's not something I'm worried about.

• @george said:
    That's understandable, but at this moment it's not something I'm worried about.

Should be perfect, they have a very good network and decent performance for the price.

Thanked by 1george
  • LeeLee Veteran

@george

Quick Hetzner test for you.

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         975  @ 3.33GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 11847 MB
    System uptime :   46 days, 28 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 95.7MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 13.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 14.9MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.29MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 62.9MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 90.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.52MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 13.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 20.9MB/s
    I/O speed :  97.3 MB/s
    [root@static ~]#

Thanked by 1george
  • georgegeorge Member
    edited October 2014

@W1V_Lee said:

snip

Thanks for doing this, unfortunately this doesn't show how well the network actually performs in terms of connectivity, more specifically latency, since that's what matters the most, especially when it comes down to hosting game servers.

Nonetheless the speeds are looking really good.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2014

I know, it was all I had to give and give it I did :P

If there is something else I can do for you on it let me know.

Thanked by 1george
  • edited October 2014

george said: Thanks for doing this, unfortunately this doesn't show how well the network actually performs in terms of connectivity, more specifically latency, since that's what matters the most, especially when it comes down to hosting game servers.

You could compile a list of relevant IPs in europe and write a simple program to ping through that array of IPs.

Thanked by 1george
  • georgegeorge Member
    edited October 2014

@Admiral_Awesome said:
    You could compile a list of relevant IPs in europe and write a simple program to ping through that array of IPs.

I was just thinking about this, but due to my laziness I'll probably end up using the super-ping results.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Just remember that when using the auction part of their site you are buying old servers. They could have 2 old drives, 2 new ones, 1 new and 1 old. You have 14 days to check it and test it before you even get billed so there is no excuse for anyone to be unhappy with a server before the pay.

As I have said on another thread if you want to get a server with as few hours on the drives as possible then only look for 2TB or 3TB drives. Some of the 1TB drives have low hours but they are a bit pot luck.

Assume that all of the 750GB drives or below will have years of use on them, that does not make them bad though. The 1.5TB drives are the old “enterprise” drives used on the more expensive line up of the day, they are Seagate Constellations and prone to faults, so avoid them to.

I often get the impression that the real issue is that people don’t want old drives because they would not have a clue what to do if it failed.

Just snap the 31 euro/month with the following specs (2 x 3 TB with around 10K power on hours):

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 15769 MB
    Total amount of swap : 4095 MB
    System uptime :   14 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 76.0MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.00MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.52MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 25.4MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 50.2MB/s