Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Good VPS Company to Choose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A Good VPS Company to Choose?

livingvirtuallivingvirtual Member
edited October 2011 in General

I a bit confused regarding which VPS company I should choose. My budget is around $5 to $7 a month. I want

512 MB of RAM
20 GB of Disk Space
2 IPs
SolusVM (Preferred)
Bandwidth of about 500GB or 1000GB a month.

I thought of using Burst.NET but their attitude towards customers surely didn't make up my mind to go with them. Other providers too I was scared about reliability. Could someone suggest me a good VPS under these parameters.

Marvel
Living Virtual

Comments

• Do you have a specific location or virtualization technology (OpenVZ/KVM/Xen) in mind?

• I am still learning about Linux so I don't mind which technology is used for virtualization. If you just want an option then I can say OpenVZ, I have used it before and I think many providers might be using this method. For location I can say is a place with the good connectivity and peering. How about Los Angeles,CA?

• livingvirtual said: How about Los Angeles,CA?

Hostigation seems to fit your bill pretty spot on.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

livingvirtual said: If you just want an option then I can say OpenVZ, I have used it before and I think many providers might be using this method.

The vast majority of providers do OpenVZ.

The benefit of OpenVZ is that you can often get more resources due to "overselling". Overselling done right is not a bad thing at all.

The other options like Xen and KVM are thought of as higher end products.

Due to the limited over-selling capabilities of Xen and KVM, they probably are (generally) of higher quality.

But as always, it comes down to the provider, no matter the resources or plan, if you get a shoddy provider, you'll have a shoddy VPS.

I wouldn't get too stuck at the Virtualization technology. My suggestion for you would be Xen-PV (ParaVirtualization) & OpenVZ as they are very similar in use and quick to install via template. Xen-HVM and KVM will require you to install the OS manually although some providers do have templates for these too.

Thanked by 2Xeoncross Infinity
  • livingvirtuallivingvirtual Member
    edited October 2011

Kairus said: Hostigation seems to fit your bill pretty spot on.

I see they are good,they also have a colocated space in California. But they only seem to be offering one IP. I also see many good reviews. I was kinda scared when I first visited their page,the image was kinda scary!

kiloserve said: livingvirtual said: If you just want an option then I can say OpenVZ, I have used it before and I think many providers might be using this method.

The vast majority of providers do OpenVZ.

The benefit of OpenVZ is that you can often get more resources due to "overselling". Overselling done right is not a bad thing at all.

The other options like Xen and KVM are thought of as higher end products.

Due to the limited over-selling capabilities of Xen and KVM, they probably are (generally) of higher quality.

But as always, it comes down to the provider, no matter the resources or plan, if you get a shoddy provider, you'll have a shoddy VPS.

I wouldn't get too stuck at the Virtualization technology. My suggestion for you would be Xen-PV (ParaVirtualization) & OpenVZ as they are very similar in use and quick to install via template. Xen-HVM and KVM will require you to install the OS manually although some providers do have templates for these too.

I too do not bother about the virtualization technology used but I might surely prefer one that's a little more easy and comfortable to use. So I think I'll go with OpenVZ if I am taking a plan.

• livingvirtual said: I see they are good,they also have a colocated space in California. But they only seem to be offering one IP. I also see many good reviews. I was kinda scared when I first visited their page,the image was kinda scary!

Tim really should replace that image, I designed the website and left it as a placeholder :P
    Hostigation is an awesome host, the support is excellent and uptime/stability is great, I would recommend OpenVZ as you're a beginner :)

• Yeah they really seem to be good however out of stock :(

• Your right about Burst and thats what put us off from getting any boxes with them, the networks not to clever either, or at least thats my impression from some of the stuff i have read, but i guess only there customers know the facts.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2011

livingvirtual said: however out of stock

Depends on what it is you are looking for, 128mb KVM just forget it as the demand is too high, but the others, I have some OpenVZ in LA left, I might need to adjus the package available to make one the size you want.

Just running way behind getting some new nodes out there and hit a brick wall yesterday when 4 out of 4 raid cards were bad, but once I get that sorted with the vendor, the node count in LA will nearly double for a good push til the end of year.

• @miTgiB
    Any idea when the OVZ-512 packages will be restocked? I looking forward to take one.

• livingvirtual said: I looking forward to take one.

No problem, took 2 256's down, put 1 512 up.

• kiloserve said: KVM will require you to install the OS manually although some providers do have templates for these too.

It takes a bit of tweaking to get those working correctly. Hopefully we'll see better tools for handling VM disks.

• Thanks a lot. Could you reserve it for sometime so that I can just check around all plans I have got yet. I'll inform you if I am taking it or not. Thanks Again.

• livingvirtual said: Could you reserve it

Open a ticket if you decide to buy as once it's up for sale, it's first come first serve.

• livingvirtuallivingvirtual Member
    edited October 2011

Ok I'll just get everything ready

• 4 of 4 cards.
    What manufacturer are they form?
    Must be some "oak" fell asleep on the production line. LOL
    Was it assembled in China as I've seen some docos on how those guys work and some of them sleep at work and only go home once or twice a month.

• These were some pulls off eBay of 3ware 9650's from a seller in Alabama, so I imagine they fall off the docks at the 3ware plant there somehow and then make their way out to the world.

• miTgiB said: Just running way behind getting some new nodes out there and hit a brick wall yesterday when 4 out of 4 raid cards were bad

And people ask me why I run linux software raid... 'cause I live 200 miles north of nowhere, where shipping takes weeks :)

Hostigation provides great service for both KVM and OpenVz. Highly recommended, you won't go wrong.

I see Bitcable popped into this thread for a moment -- that's another VERY high quality service for you. I recently moved some things to them and it's been stellar.

If you decide to do business with either of these companies you won't regret it!

• I bought hardware off eBay one time. Never again....

Heck, I don't even buy my RPG material off of eBay anymore.

• drmike said: I bought hardware off eBay one time. Never again....

I've never had a bad transaction on eBay as a buyer or seller and looking at my account "Member since: Oct-24-98 in United States" I guess I've been around there a bit. Now things have come non-functional before, but the transaction always ends well with the seller making the product good. For me, never buy from someone with a lot of recent negative transactions, new to the biz is ok with me if the total is still under the buyer protection. I still have not been totally jaded by humanity yet.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

I still have not been totally jaded by humanity yet.

Well my ex fiancee lives openly here in Charlotte with 19 outstanding warrants so....

I got screwed over by someone selling a "refurbished" router when i was first starting to buy my own hardware. It was self rewired with little bit sticking out if you catch my meaning. I tried to return it and, long story short, he got out of the negative review by using one of those (I can't spell the word. third party in the middle decides who's right) services.

• Bitcable also has a lot of nice reviews but not low end. It won't fit my budget. I think in a week or 2 I am gonna get a box from Hostigation. @miTgiB When will the stock for 512 be back?

• maxexcloo said: Tim really should replace that image

Never!

• Nah the site looks cool with that pic :D

• cedric said: Never!

You never know, I might put up a set a PONY free special :P

• miTgiB said: You never know, I might put up a set a PONY free special :P

Yes Please! :D

• lmao

Thanked by 1livingvirtual
  • drmike said: I got screwed over by someone selling a "refurbished" router when i was first starting to buy my own hardware. It was self rewired with little bit sticking out if you catch my meaning. I tried to return it and, long story short, he got out of the negative review by using one of those (I can't spell the word. third party in the middle decides who's right) services.

Arbitration?

drmike said: Well my ex fiancee lives openly here in Charlotte with 19 outstanding warrants so....

WTF?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2011

justinb said: WTF?

The key to being a low level criminal in the US is don't drive, the police are not going to bother doing actual police work when they get 99% of the people they are looking for from questionable traffic stops. Don't ride in a car either. Also avoid planes and trains as the TSA will grope your balls then haul your ass off.

• miTgiB said: The key to being a low level criminal in the US is don't drive, the police are not going to bother doing actual police work when they get 99% of the people they are looking for from questionable traffic stops. Don't ride in a car either. Also avoid planes and trains as the TSA will grope your balls then haul your ass off.

Which trains, I can understand planes but? I take Amtrak constantly and I've never been searched, asked for ID, but I don't go through border crossings