Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian: creating raid 1 on installation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian: creating raid 1 on installation

Hello,

I just got and old computer from a friend with 2x250GB HDD. I would like to use it as little home server and therefore I would like to use it in software raid 1 mode. I never did that before so I googled for a tutorial and found this one:
https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2013/10/04/how-to-configure-software-raid1-during-installation-process/

I did exactly the same, but I don't get it working. First I only created one partition (in the tutorial they never mention to create 2). I assume that's why I always got the error that I don't have a disk/partition left when clicking "configure software raid 1".

Then I made two partitions per drive and "configure software raid 1" worked. But now it looks like this:

But it should look like this:

Can you help me and tell me what I did wrong?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Go to "configure software RAID" one more time and create the second RAID1 device (from sda2 and sdb2)

Thanked by 1trexos
  • If you want the same setup as the screenshot, partition #2 of drive sda should be of type "raid", not "swap".

Thanked by 1trexos
  • Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 225G 3.5G 210G 2% /
    udev 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 397M 616K 396M 1% /run
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/c8be81c1-be56-45f5-92a7-7df5b67889e6 225G 3.5G 210G 2% /
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 1.7G 296K 1.7G 1% /run/shm

Looks like RAID is working :) thank you guys!