Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transferring 800GB of Data to Different Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transferring 800GB of Data to Different Server

Hi,

I've currently got a Kimsufi server which I run windows on and use for RDP'ing into while in work, however I also run Plex and TS3 on this server.

I'm paying £20 a month for the server in question and noticed in Hetzner Auctions they have a i7 with 2x3TB drives for €35 which is about £27.

What would be the best way to transfer my plex library to the new server? I was thinking of via ftp but I know it's not most reliable for large data transfers.

Thanks.

Comments

• I've never moved about that volume of data, but I've used rsync to shift a 100GB media library before now and that worked just fine.

• BTSync works well for syncing up data otherwise you've got rsync.

• I've never done anything like this myself before neither.

Both of these have Windows clients?

• BTSync has native Windows clients. It should be relatively trivial to setup the client on both ends, share the plex library folder from the existing machine, and then add the shared folder to the new machine, and wait. There is more to it than that, if you require any further assistance, I can provide details on anything that is holding you up.

• I used rsync for about 450gb of data easily, can't see it would be much different.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Assuming it is windows server on both sides:

install windows on the destoination server using 1 of the 3TB disks only

create an iscsi target on the other 3TB disk

attach the iscsi target to the source server

set off a windows image backup on the source server with the iscsi target as the backup drive.

wait

wait a bit more

use the backup recovery on the destination server to recover your server just as it was before. (or files only if that is all you need, bare metal is an option), once that si done re-point everyone at your new IP and your done.

honestly though moving that much data simply is not going to be fast no matter how you do it, but if you want the fastest way probably move the data to its own partition and work out some way to dd the partition over ssh using gzip compression, could save a few 100 GB depending on the file type.

or rsync :p

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • How long about would it take?

I have synmatics installed on my Windows server so would have to uninstall that so I can reshare the drive.

• Gerrard8 said: How long about would it take?

Around 18 Hours for 800 Gig :)

• Thanks Anthony!

I will try compress each library and transfer one at a time, hopefully it will all go to plan :)

I was thinking of maybe installing ISS and just downloading the compressed files from the other server.

• Well, rsync is most reliable. I rsync'd 2TB worth of data without issue. If you're on windows, then you most certainly want to use BITSync as there's no reliable rsync alternative of which I am aware.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

DalekOfSkaro said: there's no reliable rsync alternative of which I am aware.

deltacopy is free for windows, it uses rsync and is completely solid, comes with server and client version by default, 1 click restore too, might be worth looking at that @Gerrad8 as a simple alternative, it supports compression too.

• On Windows server, i use "BitTorrent Sync" around 1TB, works good (on same datacenter) maximum transfer speed :)

• AnthonySmith said: deltacopy is free for windows, it uses rsync and is completely solid, comes with server and client version by default, 1 click restore too, might be worth looking at that @Gerrad8 as a simple alternative, it supports compression too.

Another option would be a http://backupsy.com VPS where he can run the R1Soft Agent on his first windows box, backup his data, then run the agent on the new server and restore the data.

• 615GB I'll be transferring.

I think I'll go for the BitTorrentSync option and do a plex library at a time :)