Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cdn-hosting from resellers - need advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cdn-hosting from resellers - need advice

vickvick Member

Hey everybody! Advice me on cdn-hosting please. I am looking for a high quality cdn-hosting to move my statics. So far i have stopped on Edgecast and Acamai. They both are good in tests but a bit too high in prices. But when i was searching the Google for the reviews of them i found an Edgecast's reseller - jodihost.com. As i understand as a reseller they must have the same speed and quality, right? But they have cheaper prices and no annual contracts. So my question is did anybody had an experience with such resellers and what can you say? To go with them or better to go with a brand? Thanks!

Comments

• MaxCDN is rather perfomant compared to other CDN networks.

• kaflokaflo Member

@vick said:
    as a reseller they must have the same speed and quality, right?

Of course. They're just reselling so essentially it's also Edgecast. The resellers just make Edgecast affordable for everyone.

• Essentially the resellers are just pre-paying for larger chunks of the service, then chopping it up for resale. Similar to how people rent a dedi and split it into VPS's or shared hosting accounts. So yes, same level of service.

• Of course, serious companies with big business choose a top-performing cdn-company for their websites. And Edgecast is the leader in the industry. Edgecast's are SuperPOPs (points of presence) located on five continents and that means that the end user gets a website's content almost instantly and he doesn't have to wait. Undoubtedly the speed is a one of a crucial factors for a website nowadays because there is such a big competition in the internet that no one will wait if a website is slow.
    It's also a well known fact that the speed of a website affects search engine rankings, so the faster the site the higher is a website's position in search results that means more users and more revenue.
    Also as all static content is cached on cdn-servers the traffic to a website decreases that means less expences.
    Edgecast constantly improves their services to outperform other cdn networks and to make its clients totally satisfied. But they have a minus because to by their services directly from the network requires a long-term contract and a rather expensive minimum commitment.
    Resellers don't require long-term contracts and can offer very competitive pricing. JoDihost.com is one of such resellers that provides high quality cdn-services in cooperation with Edgecast but at 'pay-as-you-go' model at affordable prices.

• You have cheaper options:
    MaxCDN.com
    CDNify.com
    CDN.net
    CDN777.com
    cdn77.com

You can also get EdgeCast for cheap via SoftLayer :-) Their CDN is powered by EdgeCAST, and by far the cheapest option.

• I used CDN.net cheapest and good! I suggest it!

• Is OVH CDN an option?

• Rage4 and a Bunch of LEB's?

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited October 2014

*duplicate post, pls delete *

• @wych said:
    Rage4 and a Bunch of LEB's?

I do this. It's fun and cool to have the extra control. Right now I have LEB in France, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Los angeles and Dallas

With rage4 I'm using geoip locate which is pretty good at finding closest locations for clients.

Thinking I might play around with bittorrent sync to sync all static content live and easily.

• An even cheaper option would be CloudFlare + 1 LEB. CloudFlare is AnyCAST and will simply work like charm, plus free SSL.

• @doughnet said:
    Thinking I might play around with bittorrent sync to sync all static content live and easily.

rsync ;)

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    An even cheaper option would be CloudFlare + 1 LEB. CloudFlare is AnyCAST and will simply work like charm, plus free SSL.

Only if he had the CDN enabled packages, else it would AnyCast the IP but someone in Asia may still be connecting say Seattle to his LEB.

• wych said: Only if he had the CDN enabled packages, else it would AnyCast the IP but someone in Asia may still be connecting say Seattle to his LEB.

Well, even without an additional LEB, one can enable CDN + Full Optimizations and it should work just fine. For those who want a CDN-Like service, I suppose CloudFlare Free plan + Flexible SSL + CDN Only profile should do the trick.

• wych said: rsync ;)

Thanks for the tip but already use rsync. That's why I'm trying out bitorrent sync to see how well it handles. From my testing, it works quite well ... but it does takes a few minutes in between running it's sync.