Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrate OpenVZ VPS to Proxmox Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrate OpenVZ VPS to Proxmox Server

nimdynimdy Member

I currently have a WeLoveServers VPS (1GB RAM) which is due to expire. I have a few Wordpress sites and some backup scripts running on the server. I would like to migrate the whole server configuration to one of my Proxmox servers (either my Kimsufi KS-3 or my Online.net kidéchire).

How easy would this be and are there any easy to follow tutorials for it? I believe I can ask WLS for a file of my server and copy it to my server, but are there likely to be issues with running it on different server specs, or getting it to play nicely with the Proxmox NAT configurations I've got on these servers?

Thanks

Comments

• first get your wordpress files into a tar.gz

• then transfer it via SFTP to your new VPS

• last tar zxvf it

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited October 2014

lewissue said: first get your wordpress files into a tar.gz

First shut up.

lewissue said: then transfer it via SFTP to your new VPS

Then go away.

lewissue said: last tar zxvf it

And at last, go find a girlfriend where you can explain your wonderful ideas to

Thanked by 4marrco Saahib Pwner ATHK
  • @joodle said:
    And at last, go find a girlfriend where you can explain your wonderful ideas to

lold, people hate abuse so much

only an abusive thread causes you so angry

seems there's so little abusive VPS or why you are so angry about this?

• lewissue said: lold, people hate abuse so much
    only an abusive thread causes you so angry
    seems there's so little abusive VPS or why you are so angry about this?

Don't start that again. You like abuse, we hate abuse, so we also hate you. Have a bad day, goodbye. Tard.

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • @joodle said:
    Don't start that again. You like abuse, we hate abuse, so we also hate you. Have a bad day, goodbye. Tard.

okok, I'll start that Abusive VPS selling offer post using another account so that you will not have another bad day tomorrow

• very easy. just tar it up. or ask the provider for a backup then simply restore it.

• @nimdy here's a nice tutorial on how-to migrate an OpenVZ container to Proxmox: http://weblogs.amtex.nl/index.php/2011/02/22/migrate-openvz-container-to-proxmox-ve-best-practice?blog=2

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @joodle said:
    nimdy here's a nice tutorial on how-to migrate an OpenVZ container to Proxmox: http://weblogs.amtex.nl/index.php/2011/02/22/migrate-openvz-container-to-proxmox-ve-best-practice?blog=2

and you should read OP again then you will know he want to migrate WLS to proxmox, not a container to proxmox

• lewissue said: I'll start that Abusive VPS selling offer post using another account

I don't think multi-accounting is allowed here, or am i wrong?

• lewissue said: and you should read OP again then you will know he want to migrate WLS to proxmox, not a container to proxmox

I'm not blind, the host can do this. He can ask the HOST to migrate it for him to his node / transfer the container to this node.

• @joodle said:

unfourtenately you are wrong

there's nothing about multi-accounting on Terms

• @lewissue can you only write one sentence per post?

I would create a new instance on box you want to house it on then rsync the files and then dump & copy databases.

As @joodle said WLS should be able to provide you with an image to restore but you may need to use the console and change some aspects of the config to get it to boot.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If you just have wordpress & scripts then simply install all softwares which you need on new server & simply go for manual migration like archive data from old, rsync on new, extract & then enjoy :)

It's much to get rid of a way which you actually don't know.

• Thanks @joodle @wych and @Stephenlzzy. I'm not sure what's with the bickering going on. Haven't been reading the forum for a few days so don't know if it is something I have done or an ongoing thing.

I'll see if I can get a dump of the container from the provider. I should really set up a fresh container on the proxmox node, but it as a novice it took me a while to get all my config right on the other server, so I was hoping for a copy/paste approach to moving this away from the current provider.

• @lewissue said:
    there's nothing about multi-accounting on Terms

You're part of the reason people don't like Chinese people online.

Quit making your people look bad.

Thanked by 3netomx Pwner ATHK
  • Either ask the provider for a backup, or see if you can get them to enable quick backup in SolusVM. You can then treat it as a Proxmox template. I'd suggest you just do vzcreate from the cli with it, but if you put it into your templates directory and name it properly, you can create a container based off of it in the gui.

Thanked by 1nimdy
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I hope @nimdy got it resolved..
    But enjoyed this thread :P

• @joodle said:
    I don't think multi-accounting is allowed here, or am i wrong?

According to mpkossen it is quite common.
    I'll find the comment he made, and link it directly...

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2014

@FrankZ said:

Common but not typically encouraged, although I am sure Lew would be spotted due to his post style.

• http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/744569/#Comment_744569

@hellogoodbye said: Out of curiosity since I don't think it's stated outright in the rules: are LET members allowed to use multiple accounts and pose as different people like that?

@mpkossen said:They always have been and still are. We keep track of who is who. I am going to reconsider this, though.

• @amhoab said:
    Either ask the provider for a backup, or see if you can get them to enable quick backup in SolusVM. You can then treat it as a Proxmox template. I'd suggest you just do vzcreate from the cli with it, but if you put it into your templates directory and name it properly, you can create a container based off of it in the gui.

This worked brilliantly. Didn't need to reconfigure anything to get it working.

Thanks all :)