Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats with 'minimal' templates?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats with 'minimal' templates?

ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
edited October 2014 in Help

So everywhere I go I keep seeing people installing Debian minimal or CentOS Minimal etc on their servers... Ive tried them both myself and they both seem pretty similar...

I get that a few programs are removed from the minimal to make it lighter, but is there anything else about it that makes it so good? Is 200mb less space and 20mb less ram such a big deal?

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2014

ronaldgrn do you need apache, sendmail, samba, bind9... with every vps by default? And in case of need isn't better to install webserver by yourself instead having everything running by default with every VPS you own?

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • don't you have to manually install those (except apache) with every install?

• jhjh Member

Depends what you mean by "manually" - I presume most of them are one-command installs via the package manager?

• @ronaldgrn said:
    don't you have to manually install those (except apache) with every install?

Wat?

• It's just example. Minimal template doesn't have every crap you may never need installed by default.
    For me personally it's easier to install webserver to vps I need instead of remove it from all VPSs I own and don't need.
    Things you don't need and don't manage simply shouldn't run.

• said: Is 200mb less space and 20mb less ram such a big deal?

Well, if you don't need it why have it installed? If you need it then you can install it yourself... It's not just about ressources (even if that's important on a LEB) but also about security: unneeded software might bring security holes you'd have avoided without... and anyway, what's the point in running stuff you won't use?

:)

Thanked by 2ronaldgrn TriDoxiuM
  • alessioalessio Member
    edited October 2014

said: I get that a few programs are removed from the minimal to make it lighter, but is there anything else about it that makes it so good? Is 200mb less space and 20mb less ram such a big deal?

It is not necessarily about the storage space but rather about what services are running (by default) and their dependencies.

Thanked by 1Adduc
  • It's a big deal when you have a small box to work with.

• alessio said: It is not necessarily about the storage space but rather about what services are running (by default) and their dependencies.

Exactly. I prefer the minimal templates to know exactly what is installed, running, and/or may otherwise be invoked. If I don't know everything that is running on a machine, I can't consider that machine secure to run in production.

Thanked by 2natestamm ucxo
  • I personally can't stand it when I provider doesn't make minimal templates available. I don't use the extra packages installed, and consider those running services potential attack vectors into my VPS. I think all providers should provide minimal templates only and leave it to the end users to decide what gets installed.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • edited October 2014

said: Is 200mb less space and 20mb less ram such a big deal?

By the way, you're posting on LowEndTalk.com