Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSDIME.COM - Three Months and Still Pleased
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSDIME.COM - Three Months and Still Pleased

Title Pretty Much says it all.

Really happy I found them. 100% up time, good support (initial set up stuff from a noob :-) Using it for productions wordpress sites.

http://goo.gl/Le6Ksa

@servian

Thanked by 1serverian

Comments

• ausaus Member

Please, no affiliate links.

Thanked by 1aldothetroll
  • GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited October 2014

A more in dept review would be nice.

• It's great that you are happy with the service, but it'd have been nice if you could analysis and describe it more.

Thanked by 2ucxo BBTN
  • These people are proffesional. I have two boxes with them for three months now , I have never had problem until yesterday where a drive backplane issue happened on my server. After hours of working on the issue they put me on another server and offered me a bonus for the inconvenience. But what I liked most was I was informed constantly ..."We have the backup of the server from ~6 hours ago. We have a spare node in the DC. We are currently restoring the data to this spare node to get your VPS online with the data that's from 6 hours ago. We except that this process will take around 2-3 hours. We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience this issue caused you."..."The restoring process to the spare node is taking much longer than expected and it seems it'll need around 12-16 more hours. This is due to backup containing lots of small files. To avoid that much waiting time, we have recreated the raid array on the old server and made sure it's working as expected to prepare it for a bare-metal restore from the backup server. This will eliminate for each file being recreated one by one and will do the restoring at block level."...and so on...That's a worth value in this industry.

Thanks, I wanted to share this experience with you

Thanked by 2serverian ucxo
  • Thank you @johnny99 :)

It is a terrible event. We have almost recovered from it, just a hundred more gigabytes left to restore.

This event made us realize that our disaster recovery solution is not very proficient. We are building new backup servers with 10gE links and changing our backup software to have the disaster recovery process taking much shorter if an incident like this ever happen in the future.

Thanked by 3JahAGR Dylan ucxo
  • @serverian A shared hosting company I was with had a cascading RAID failure and had to restore from backup, they backed up hourly so no real data was lost.. but the restore took 3 days.

They were using R1Soft but due to the amount of files (shared hosting) it would take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour to restore an account with<5GB of data. They couldn't pull anywhere near 1gbps from their backup box.

If you don't mind me asking which backup software are you switching from/to?

My services with you are all good, but I appreciate the response. A host only shows their true colors when shit hits the fan.

• @mikeyur, we are currently using R1Soft and evaluating Bacula and Acronis.

• Really enjoy reading threads like this. What has kept me a LET, LEB fan, and aspiring to that kind of business mod myself, sooner than later.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • serverian said: This event made us realize that our disaster recovery solution is not very proficient. We are building new backup servers with 10gE links and changing our backup software to have the disaster recovery process taking much shorter if an incident like this ever happen in the future.

If you're in need of a decent backup solution, check out backupsy.com.

• @kcaj said:

hahaha

• kcaj said: If you're in need of a decent backup solution, check out backupsy.com.

Good suggestion.

+1

• Yep, I had very good experience with backupsy and its support.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • RemuzRemuz Member
    edited October 2014

@kcaj said:

Hahahahaha, this is gold!

Backupsy is amazing indeed.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • Just wanted to chime in, I was also on the node in LA that suffered the disk failures. Their handling of the situation and their communication in an event like this should be a case study of exactly how to handle it. Constant updates and no BS. Really well done @serverian. Also just wanted to call out one of your techs, Greg, who is possibly one of the best techs I've ever had.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • @serverian said:
    This event made us realize that our disaster recovery solution is not very proficient. We are building new backup servers with 10gE links and changing our backup software to have the disaster recovery process taking much shorter if an incident like this ever happen in the future.

Ah @serverian Is this last bit why the Storage VPS's have been out of stock for most of September?

• Thank you for your in depth review.

• Can someone flag the OP for spam?

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited October 2014

Deleted. Post in wrong thread

• I was on the failed LA node, too and everything seems to be in order after the restore. Job well done! I don't mind the small downtime since the box is not mission critical, but I appreciate the smooth restore process and additional credit for the inconvenience.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • @tarasis said:
    Ah serverian Is this last bit why the Storage VPS's have been out of stock for most of September?

That one is not related actually. We have been looking to build better storage servers on 10G network.

The new nodes in Dallas should be online this week. They will be at 10gE network with SSD caching.

Then we'll do the same for Los Angeles and the UK.

• Will the old plans be upgraded to the new environment or left as they are?

Thanked by 12Neutron
  • HsunamiHsunami Member
    edited October 2014

nvm.

• VPSDime is the god damn worst provider here, my server is always up and has 99% uptime according to UptimeRobot!! (I always say robot .. in a robot voice Wtf)

What the hell man! My order was instantly provisioned which pisses me off I can't believe they make you wait a whole 5 seconds before emailing you the VPS info..

The whole thing is stable, fast and actually is better than my INIZ box in terms of "I/O".

On top of all that I've never had to use support its just that good. @serverian seems like a great guy from what I've seen on LET his posts are quite funny in some cases.

10/10 would recommend.

• Really like I said the Title says it all. 100% uptime so far....

Not too much of a teky and so what can I say...?
    Ram is sufficient, I have yet to come to a an uncomfortable threshold re ram @ 6 gigs
    CPU well more is always better but I have had no issues.
    Bandwidth is pretty good and only bottle necks are on popular posts, mostly felt by my as I publish.

All in all for $7.00 / month is a true value and not just a low end service. The pricing does not reflect the quality of the service delivered. So for a small publisher with out main stream media money this service help keep the #freepress online.

II-Neutron / ~Q~

@serverian said:
    It's great that you are happy with the service, but it'd have been nice if you could analysis and describe it more.

• 2Neutron2Neutron Member
    edited October 2014

@Crab said:
    Will the old plans be upgraded to the new environment or left as they are?

I thought about that as well. 10 gig upgrade for the VPS6 albeit the pricing is only $1.00 / month

• Do they have servers from Netherlands too? Its showing in their main page?

• @Crab said:
    Will the old plans be upgraded to the new environment or left as they are?

They'll be left as they are until ROI is completed on the HW :p Also, new nodes are in different DCs.

@programer said:
    Do they have servers from Netherlands too? Its showing in their main page?

Not at the moment. Maybe soon!

• @Crab said: Will the old plans be upgraded to the new environment or left as they are?

>

They'll be left as they are until ROI is completed on the HW :p Also, new nodes are in >different DCs.

Ok no worries, thanks for the clarification.

• In the locations which one will serve better for locations including Asia, Africa, Middle East

• @programer said:
    In the locations which one will serve better for locations including Asia, Africa, Middle East

Based on ping LA is better for SE Asia

This discussion has been closed.