Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to connect to IPMI?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to connect to IPMI?

sumosumo Member
edited October 2014 in Help

I picked up a dedi and trying to connect to IPMI not through VPN. I've spent quite a few frustrating hours trying to figure out how to load Virtual Meda on multiple browsers - Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. I keep getting "You don't have privileges to Perform this Action" on a Mac, Ubuntu (through VPS), and Windows 7 (emulation).

I did raise a ticket and was told I have the proper permissions. They also reset IPMI. I'm following up again on the ticket. But, thought I would try here at the same time.

Anyone have success with IPMI on a Mac or even Ubuntu desktop? If so, any suggestions?

Comments

• you should have an url of where the ipmi is located

• robinjoo1robinjoo1 Member
    edited October 2014

@robinjoo1 said:
    you should have an url of where the ipmi is located

http://kb.krypt.com/article/182

Thanked by 1sumo
  • @robinjoo1 said:
    you should have an url of where the ipmi is located

I can log in, was trying to access virtual media through the browser.

• Thank you. I found similar articles to that a while ago and tried to connect via Java iKVM. When I selected Virtual Media > Virtual Storage > CDROM&ISO and clicked on "Open Image", it just hangs. Which is why I tried the browser route.

But, I can try the Java route again. Do you have any recommendations on the hanging issue?

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited October 2014

You don't want to upload ISO's through the browser. IPMIView

Thanked by 1sumo
  • @sumo said:
    But, I can try the Java route again. Do you have any recommendations on the hanging issue?

i would try upgrading JAVA cause i have it working at both windows 7 and ubuntu 14.04

Thanked by 1sumo
  • @DalekOfSkaro said:
    You don't want to upload ISO's through the browser. IPMIView

Thank you. I've downloaded that a couple of weeks ago and didn't work out for me. Looks like there's a new release and will try it again.

• @robinjoo1 said:

What version are you running on Ubuntu 14 - Oracle Java 7, OpenJDK 6/7, etc?

edited October 2014

here is the Name of the package
    is coverd all of the stuff i needed
    IcedTea Web Control Panel
    search at ubuntu software center

version
    java version "1.7.0_65"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.2) (7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

Thanked by 1sumo
  • @DalekOfSkaro

No luck on the IPMIView 2.9.32. The Mac version doesn't even run. The Jar version does run, but can't get the KVM console. It's probably some compatibility with Java and Mavericks

• @robinjoo1 said:
    here is the Name of the package
    is coverd all of the stuff i needed
    IcedTea Web Control Panel
    search at ubuntu software center

version
    java version "1.7.0_65"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.2) (7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

Thank you. I was able to launch the remote console after installing the three Java components through the Ubuntu Software Center and also ran sudo apt-get install icedtea-netx.

But, the window for the ISO File selection is garbled. Have you done a Web ISO mount before?

• @sumo said:
    DalekOfSkaro

No luck on the IPMIView 2.9.32. The Mac version doesn't even run. The Jar version does run, but can't get the KVM console. It's probably some compatibility with Java and Mavericks

what browser do you use also did you searched for
    IcedTea Web Control

• sumosumo Member
    edited October 2014

duplicate

• @robinjoo1

I was finally able to get it up on the Mac as well as Ubuntu, but the ISO File file selection for Open Image never comes up on the Mac and its garbled on Ubuntu, so I most likely have to use Web ISO to mount the image.

The way I did it on the Mac was to save the .JNLP file (happen to be in Safari, but it may not matter) and open it with Java Web Start

edited October 2014

@sumo said:
    robinjoo1

I was finally able to get it up on the Mac as well as Ubuntu, but the ISO File file selection for Open Image never comes up on the Mac and its garbled on Ubuntu, so I most likely have to use Web ISO to mount the image.

The way I did it on the Mac was to save the .JNLP file (happen to be in Safari, but it may not matter) and open it with Java Web Start

Ok please show
    Me some screenshots of what you sse and encounter

Thanked by 1sumo
  • sumosumo Member
    edited October 2014

@robinjoo1 said:

As I was making the screenshots for Ubuntu, it cleared up! Not sure if it was just an intermittent error, but it seems to work now. The file selection window did properly appear. Will try to mount an ISO and see how it goes.

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experience with me. It helped me a lot and I definitely appreciate it!

Thanked by 1robinjoo1
  • @robinjoo1 said:

Your Welcome i would love to see a thx at my post which has helped you the most

• @robinjoo1

I think I already clicked it on most of your posts, but will look it over again to see if I missed something

• @sumo said:
    robinjoo1

I think I already clicked it on most of your posts, but will look it over again to see if I missed something

most welcome
    I forgot to refresh the page before i posted that comment :)

If you need any other help just reply or pm me

• @robinjoo1 said:

Thank you, was able to finally boot up the ISO via Ubuntu.

Thanked by 1robinjoo1
  • sumo said: Thank you. I've downloaded that a couple of weeks ago and didn't work out for me. Looks like there's a new release and will try it again.

IPMIView doesn't work well on OS X if you're using a Mac.

• sumo said: No luck on the IPMIView 2.9.32. The Mac version doesn't even run. The Jar version does run, but can't get the KVM console. It's probably some compatibility with Java and Mavericks

Yeah... This is why I spun off a Windows VM for that purpose. It's a hassle, I know.. What usually doesn't work on the Mac is the iKVM Console and ISO mount. You'd need a Desktop Windows Version in order to get this working properly unless you want to mess with Windows server.

• iKVM isn't compatible with OS X. Some things work, others don't.

• @DalekOfSkaro @GVH_Eric

Thanks for the confirmations. The Ubuntu VM worked nicely and costs right. I read some people had success, but those might be for older versions of OSX