Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sz1hosting fraud warning - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sz1hosting fraud warning

Comments

• wych said: So he was hitting a pingback URL even though you didn't have WP on that domain?

Kind of. He is reporting my URL to other WordPress blogs and thus those blogs check my site to validate the ping back.

• kcaj said: I don't have WP installed, just the volume of requests (around 15/s) overwhelm Apache. (Apache, I know, I know!)

15 req/s is not detrimental in my opinion. Something must be misconfigured. It seems maybe PHP-CGI is hanging and possibly causing an OOM condition but it just seems odd that such a small amount of requests will cause this, especially without Wordpress installed. What attack vector is he using then, if not PHP/WP/XMLRPC?

• @kcaj said:
    Kind of. He is reporting my URL to other WordPress blogs and thus those blogs check my site to validate the ping back.

Ahhhhh, that makes a little more sense.

@alexh said:

I would check your configs, 15req/s isnt that intensive.

• I've got my calculations wrong. I was reading the log and estimating how many requests I am seeing in a single second but the server must be overloaded enough not to log all requests because CloudFlare is showing this.

1m hits over an hour will average 277/s.

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited October 2014

@Catalin said:
    GreenBoxHost, you get DDoSed because you made an offer ? :)

Someone is still trying but they're failing miserably.

• @GreenHostBox said:
    Someone is still trying but they're failing miserably.

Your site is down for me.

• Even the Search form from here is scared of sz1 :))

• @PremiumN said:
    Your site is down for me.

It's being mitigated and it's back up.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited October 2014

@Nekki said:
    So this thread is why LET has been down all morning, right?

I'm not sure, though scuttlebutt is he's at least involved in it. There's a conversation where he is denying involvement but asking Spirit to remove this thread and there's a conversation where he admits involvement. Either way, if anybody did still trust him, I'd recommend they do not do so anymore.

Other than that, he seems to have attacked at least two other providers and probably my website as well. That was not today but before today.

Thanked by 1loyd
  • @mpkossen said:

Is there nobody we can report this to? I mean what are the odds that every time someone trashes him, they get DDoS'd by someone else? He has a history of this kind of behavior all around him. There must be someone who we can report this to and get his miserable butt in trouble with. Maybe his mom?

• Pwner said: Is there nobody we can report this to? I mean what are the odds that every time someone trashes him, they get DDoS'd by someone else? He has a history of this kind of behavior all around him. There must be someone who we can report this to and get his miserable butt in trouble with. Maybe his mom?

Odds are certain. Yesterday he informed me after an attack that my website was back up, literally just as the attack stopped, claimed to have checked my site and it was up. I checked my logs and sure enough the attack had stopped but he had not accessed the site. Only other way he'd of known the attack had stopped would be if he were involved somewhere/somehow.

• @mpkossen said:
    I'm not sure, though scuttlebutt is he's at least involved in it. There's a conversation where he is denying involvement but asking Spirit to remove this thread and there's a conversation where he admits involvement.

Yeh, I've since seen irc transcripts that I imagine contain the conversations you're referring to.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2014
    [11:25] * szsocial (~szsocial@unaffiliated/szsocial) has joined #lowendtalk
    [13:28] [szsocial] is let still down?
    [13:28] [szsocial] Spirit, what you guys doing about it?
    [13:29] [szsocial] http://colocrossing.com/ is down too
    [13:29] [szsocial] whos next?
    [14:31] [szsocial] the post is still there
    [14:31] [szsocial] so might go down again
    [14:31] [szsocial] http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/35385/sz1hosting-fraud-warning#latest
    [14:32] [szsocial] i suggest that post gets removed Spirit 
    [14:52] [szsocial] i have done nothing
    [14:54] [szsocial] it is not me doing this
    [14:54] [szsocial] it must be 1 of my friends, they warned let not to fuck with me

At first I didn't even know what he wants again. This guy is really annoying...

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited October 2014

edit: nvm I'm blind.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2014

Same lines were pasted twice :) Edited.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • That transcript is funny shit. How szsocial/Shaf can honestly be under the illusion that anything he says is taken seriously/has any weight to it is comical.

• I think it would be a good idea to pin this thread and leave it on top for a week or so

• LeeLee Veteran

Well knowing SZnub is watching this thread, I would just like to say from the bottom of my heart.

• He couldn't even string two sentences together when he first started to post here.
    I'm shocked anybody bought services from him.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Linkking said:
    He couldn't even string two sentences together when he first started to post here.
    I'm shocked anybody bought services from him.

And obviously, he still can't.

• I love that on one hand he appears to be threatening you guys and on the other claiming his innocence. Very classy.

• tarasis said: I love that on one hand he appears to be threatening you guys and on the other claiming his innocence. Very classy.

Who knows, he may genuinely be thick enough to believe no one suspects him.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • kcaj said: Who knows, he may genuinely be thick enough to believe no one suspects him.

I do not suspect him, of being human that is.

• tarasis said: I love that on one hand he appears to be threatening you guys and on the other claiming his innocence. Very classy.

nope, he does not do ddos stuff, his friends do for him. thats what he and his friends are claiming.

• Friends. As if he has friends.

• Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • tarasistarasis Member
    edited October 2014

groan We need that Facepalm gif again.

-- EDIT --

Seems LET is still having problems. It refused at first to accept my comment at first and I hadn't realised Search was down.

• Shame, treat everyone like that and they'll get no custom at all...

• @alexh said:
    Victims of fraud aren't to be held at fault. The people who commit fraud take advantage of people's trust; It's a natural human characteristic, and it you disagree, you are emotionless and unfit to contribute to this discussion. Do you hold victims of stalking, harassment, or assault accountable for the crimes committed against them? Because they're victims for a reason, it's not their fault, and it doesn't make the crimes involved OK.
    I'm sick and tired of reading logic like this. Just because an individual chooses to make themselves vulnerable (in this case, purchasing hosting) does not mean that they should be freely attacked. I don't understand how people see this as remotely close to logical.

My comment wasn't meant to shift blame to the victim. It was meant to emphasize the importance to doing just a little bit of research on the people and/or companies that one chooses to do business with to minimize the risk.