Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WiFi Cluster F$(#?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WiFi Cluster F$(#?

iBotiBot Member
edited September 2014 in Help

I've never been so frustrated as I am now, with the same setup I was having a good time until past couple of months. New SSIDs showed up thrashing the channel and since I am into online gaming, latency is really crucial.

I have no idea why my macbook goes into frenzy and doesn't want to connect to my home network even if it did, it will be super slow (channel 1) or amazing fast. I now temporarily switched to channel 11 so that I could use the internet to seek help.

So is there a way without going for a 5Ghz router?

PS: My android was able to connect and browse without a hitch on channel 1.

Comments

• Buy more routers and set them as access points (no dhcp) on the same channel/ssid or change to 5GHz. In the UK all wireless routers from the biggest ISP create 3 wifi channels on 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the newer boxes so count yourself lucky!

If you run dd-wrt switching to channel 13 might help, but there are certain laws against it in some places.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Buy more routers and set them as access points (no dhcp) on the same channel/ssid or change to 5GHz. In the UK all wireless routers from the biggest ISP create 3 wifi channels on 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the newer boxes so count yourself lucky!

If you run dd-wrt switching to channel 13 might help, but there are certain laws against it in some places.

Agreed with @linuxthefish if you have DD-WRT, you can easily set them up as wireless relays.

Don't know if it's illegal in your state, but you can always ebay / dealextreme a signal blocker to help.

• Fortunately, my router(edimax) supports channel 13. I was able to switch and I was not able to connect. (Wifi card Locale was on US). So after switching the region, I am able to connect and use with similar performance on channel 1 but still not amazed.

Would like to know if there's any way around to change the card locale as well.

• Do you require WiFi?

Why not use powerline adapters, one plugged into the router and one plugged into the laptop/desktop (you require a power socket on each end too).

It's more solid than WiFi.

I recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412092237&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+adapter

Comes with ethernet wires for both sides too.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

@iBot said:
    and since I am into online gaming, latency is really crucial.

If latency is crucial use a cable.
    Too many AP will only make it worse since there are more traffic "in the air".
    If you get AP without roaming possibilities your computer will probably hang on to the AP it connected to first, no matter how bad the signal gets.
    It won't change until it completly looses the original signal.