Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need career advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need career advice

I'm looking for the right job for myself. I thinking about doing remote server administration. I'll work from home but I'll manage web servers and help trouble shoot them and maintain them. The pay doesn't have to be great. What kind of job title am I looking for so I'll know the terms to look up. Would it be Linux Administrator or something else? How should I go about getting experience? Internship or website training or school or something else? I am not tech literate and have never built websites before. Would building a few quality websites look good on my resume since I'm applying for a tech job? Thanks for reading!

Comments

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited September 2014

This is not the right place to ask for advise.

Too many trolls to be honest.

Honestly though, I would recommend going to local tech companies and asking for internships.

• Just keep on applying and see what happens.

• Try out some paid training centers and consultancy !

• 1) Take advice from LET/LEB with a pinch of salt.

2) Study and practise yourself, if you are saying you are not tech literate then you will have to have something to offer against other applicants that are experienced.

3) Web Designer / Developer are different jobs to a systems administrator, so having some published sites may help but I would also focus on how you set them up.

4) What makes you believe a tech job is what you want?

• @wych said:
    1) Take advice from LET/LEB with a pinch of salt.

2) Study and practise yourself, if you are saying you are not tech literate then you will have to have something to offer against other applicants that are experienced.

3) Web Designer / Developer are different jobs to a systems administrator, so having some published sites may help but I would also focus on how you set them up.

4) What makes you believe a tech job is what you want?

Wonderful !

• But please don't start another VPS Host!

• Where are you from? If there are datacenters in your area, you'll get much further with an actual career working on-site, instead of a "remote" administration job.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • You are pursuing a system engineer career path, I would suggest:

• Learn linux administration, Redhat and Ubuntu
    • Get familiar with the utilities: ps, top, htop, lsof, strace ...
    • Master the monitoring tools: nagios, zabix, grahite, cacti ...
    • Fluent in one or two script languages: bash, perl, python, ruby

More advanced topics will cover:

• security auditing
    • configuration manager, such as puppet, chef, ...
    • network: vpn, vlan ...
    • virtualization: vmware, openstack ...
    Thanked by 2support123 nessie
  • Internship or website training or school or something else? I am not tech literate and have never built websites before.

First learn stuff off the internet and practice at home. Then after a week or two do an internship in the same stuff you learnt. But learn something that you enjoy and like.

• Step 1) Never go on a forum to ask for career advice.

Step 2) ???

Step 3) $$ Money $$

• I believe forums are a good way to learn different views. Where else do you get to ask people freely ? Some advice may be wrong, but not all.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • GoodHosting said: Too many trolls to be honest.

You've done great :)

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • concerto49 said: You've done great :)

that implication of him being a troll.

ontopic: nice necromancy

• I do a good bit of interviewing where I work, and deal with recruiters regularly. If you don't yet have experience, you need to gain some. The awesome thing about IT is that you can do that from home. That's how I gained my initial experience and is what got me deep into the field, despite my education being in engineering.

I'd suggest starting off with creating a LAMP stack and learning about how the different pieces work together, as well as some common tuning parameters. Definitely try to create a few scripts for things (in bash) to get the hang of it.

This depends on the direction you'd like to take, but I'd also suggest learning about horizontally-scaling sites, and doing multi-datacenter management. That's a huge area with lots to learn, but it definitely sets you apart. If you learn Chef or Puppet or Salt, now you're really in demand. There's a huge demand for sysadmins, but an even bigger one (read: $$$) for sysadmins who know config management tools.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Start a web hosting company + training company.