Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[UPDATE] OVH blacked out in portion of Eastern US[who route through Equinix Ashburn]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[UPDATE] OVH blacked out in portion of Eastern US[who route through Equinix Ashburn]

dnwkdnwk Member
edited September 2014 in General

This morning from my office Internet, I cannot reach any OVH site/VPS. I thought OVH is down but I later find out I can connect to it on my cell connection. So I dig in. My office connection mostly is HE and Cogent and traceroute seems that HE does not know how to route the traffic and lost it. Can anyone with HE only connection test it?

3 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 216-59-114-49.i95.net [216.59.114.49]

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 10 ms 1 ms 2 ms v408.core1.ash1.he.net [216.66.32.53]

9 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms 10ge1-1.core1.clt1.he.net [184.105.80.58]

10 17 ms 16 ms 18 ms 10ge5-2.core1.atl1.he.net [184.105.80.61]

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

HE.net is not to blame, I can reach www.he.net and 216.66.32.53 on your trace from my servers at OVH.

However I can't reach 216.59.114.49. So it's more about your provider than HE.net

You can file a ticket with OVH and after 5 days get a canned reply that networks outside OVH are not their responsibility.

• @rm_ said:
    HE.net is not to blame, I can reach www.he.net and 216.66.32.53 on your trace from my servers at OVH.

However I can't reach 216.59.114.49. So it's more about your provider than HE.net

You can file a ticket with OVH and after 5 days get a canned reply that networks outside OVH are not their responsibility.

Interesting. When my provider send the traffic into HE's network, then HE's in charge, right?

• dnwk said: Interesting. When my provider send the traffic into HE's network, then HE's in charge, right?

Yes, but the traffic in this direction might be arriving and it might be the opposite direction that is broken.

edited September 2014

dnwk said: Interesting. When my provider send the traffic into HE's network, then HE's in charge, right?

The problem is, the OVH router doesn't know where to send the traffic for you:

mtr 216.59.114.49 # RBX
     Host                                                 Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. vss-9a-6k.fr.eu                                    0.0%    10    0.6  13.6   0.4  70.0  27.7
     2. rbx-g1-a9.fr.eu                                    0.0%    10    1.0   1.0   0.8   1.9   0.3
     3. ???
     4. ldn-5-6k.uk.eu                                    77.8%    10    4.1   4.1   4.1   4.2   0.0
     5. ???
     6. ash-1-6k.va.us                                     0.0%    10   79.0  85.9  78.8 140.3  19.3
     7. ???

mtr 216.59.114.49 #GRA
     Host                                                 Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 37.187.97.253                                     40.0%     5    1.1   2.7   0.3   6.7   3.5
     2. gra-g2-a9.fr.eu                                    0.0%     5    0.9   1.1   0.8   2.1   0.6
     3. ldn-5-6k.uk.eu                                    75.0%     5    7.5   7.5   7.5   7.5   0.0
     4. ???

There can be various causes for that, and it's not necessarily HE.net's fault.
    I suggest that you contact both your ISP and OVH (even though they reacted like I said above, to similar peering issues in the past).

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • Got it

• Looks like it's OVH's peering in Ashburn,VA that's broke. From one of my box with another provider near Washington DC using Inforelay as a provider and traffic go through Level 3. They cannot reach OVH too(or OVH doesn't know how to send traffic back).

dnwk said: Looks like it's OVH's peering in Ashburn,VA that's broke.

Perhaps it's this: http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=7800

We will disable the traffic on Equinix Ashburn so we can proceed to the migration.

But very bizarre that no alternative route has kicked in.

Thanked by 1dnwk
  • dnwkdnwk Member
    edited September 2014

@rm_ It appears to me that OVH use peering extensively. They may not have enough transit to go around it.
    And anyone in eastern US that usually route through Washington DC will be blacked out and have no way to reach OVH and anyone who hosted with OVH.

It seems to me that it is OVH's fault. In the peering above, HE is already using Atlanta to send the traffic but OVH doesn't know that

• @Detruire said:
    Or this

OVH has so many network problem going on at the same time.

• I host my Email at OVH. Now, it looks like someone will have hard time sending my emails.

edited September 2014

dnwk said: I host my Email at OVH. Now, it looks like someone will have hard time sending my emails.

Well E-mail is a simple case, that's why you [should] have at least two incoming mail servers, and absolutely at two or more different providers. The SMTP protocol allows for complete fault-tolerance in this part with no issues.

• @rm_ said:

It is hosted Exchange! I am not running my mail server on VPS at the moment.

• dnwk said: It is hosted Exchange! I am not running my mail server on VPS at the moment.

Anything stopping you adding an additional MX record to your DNS and having that accept mail?

• @kcaj said:
    Anything stopping you adding an additional MX record to your DNS and having that accept mail?

Yes. Laziness.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@dnwk said:

Laziness never pays off. Example: your current situation.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi