Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion to hosts with multiple geographical locations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion to hosts with multiple geographical locations

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited June 2012 in General

It seems there are quite a lot of people that collect geographically distributed VPSes to for example set up a redundant DNS cluster. If you're a host that offers a lot of different locations geographically, it may be interesting for the LEB/LET community to offer a 'package deal' that includes one small VPS in every location (or for example, you can allow someone to pick 3 locations from your total range, but only 1 VPS per location). I think something like that would work fairly well :)

Comments

• I'd be up for that, ultra-low-end-boxes, 64MB or less?

Thanked by 1nabo
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

I don't get it, I mean I understand the idea, but who doesn't offer each location directly, or do you want a better deal when taking all locations?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited June 2012

We already offer that... One VPS in each of the following: Illinois, Kansas and California with our Blue1 plan for $35 annually. We just don't typically advertise it, but prefer to get tickets/irc requesting it...

• @miTgiB said: do you want a better deal when taking all locations?

Thats how i understand it. Get a discount because buying in bulk. I like the idea :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@miTgiB said: I don't get it, I mean I understand the idea, but who doesn't offer each location directly, or do you want a better deal when taking all locations?

Yes, that is the basic idea - for a customer it would be good because he instantly has a bunch of VPSes in each location, and gets a bulk discount... for a host it would be good because he has a guaranteed sale of several VPSes, and has a customer that would otherwise probably have spread out his purchase over several hosting companies.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@joepie91 said: guaranteed sale of several VPSes

If only I had stock at all times in all locations, and a discount on top of it? Yeah, I have no trouble selling out faster than I can afford new, so discount is not on my horizon, but some may like the idea.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Not that I don't like where your mind is going here, but there are some decent and affordable CDN choices.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@miTgiB said: If only I had stock at all times in all locations, and a discount on top of it? Yeah, I have no trouble selling out faster than I can afford new, so discount is not on my horizon, but some may like the idea.

Obviously this isn't very useful an idea for hosts that sell out instantly :P

@jarland said: Not that I don't like where your mind is going here, but there are some decent and affordable CDN choices.

Sure, but a CDN does not provide DNS services or basically anything other than content delivery.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited June 2012

Cannot really afford to drop our prices anymore, Likewise with what @miTgiB said not alot of providers can keep stock levels similar on all locations.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@BlueVM said: We already offer that... One VPS in each of the following: Illinois, Kansas and California with our Blue1 plan for $35 annually. We just don't typically advertise it, but prefer to get tickets/irc requesting it...

which plan is this? bluevm1 x3 locations?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@jcaleb said: which plan is this? bluevm1 x3 locations?

Yes.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I prefer to have my eggs in separate baskets :)

Thanked by 1nabo