Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feathur's (Open Source Virtualization Control Panel) New Design & Improvements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feathur's (Open Source Virtualization Control Panel) New Design & Improvements

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited September 2014 in General

I felt like posting about some if the new features and the new design we have implemented into Feathur lately. Before I begin I'd like to clear up a few misunderstandings within the community about what Feathur is...

Quick FAQ / About

Q: What is Feathur?

A: Feathur is an open source VPS control panel for providers and enthusiasts.

Q: Is Feathur free or do I have to pay for it?

A. Feathur is 100% free. You are under no obligation to pay for it in any way. You can choose to contribute to our project by purchasing a support license. The support license allows you to submit support tickets to our help desk and get one-on-one assistance in troubleshooting Feathur. You can use Feathur on as many servers as you like for free without ever needing to buy a support license.

Q: Why is Feathur free? Why did you release Feathur? Couldn't you have made money from it instead?

A. Feathur is free because simply put I love the community and felt like the community deserved a free control panel. I could have easily slapped a sticker on it and sold it, but I wanted it to be released for the benefit of all. When I started developing Feathur there were literally two major panels on the market (one of which was being abandoned and the other had a security exploit almost every week or so it felt) and I felt the community deserved a open source panel that was easy to use, clean and friendly.

Q: Why would anyone pay for a support license?

A. The majority of the people that do have a license have one because they want to support Feathur's development. Believe it or not it does cost money to develop a project like this and it takes a good bit of time and patience as well. I will never personally make any money on Feathur. If Feathur ever became really large I'd hire a full time programmer (or several) and consider other tools I could release for the community. Feathur is a labor of love for me and those supporting it.

Q: What virtualizations does Feathur support?

A: Currently OpenVZ and KVM, however it is designed in such a way that it should be fairly easy to add another virtualization type.

New Design

We've been working on a new design for a while and today we pushed it onto the Testing repo. It's possible there are some minor bugs, but overall it's been pretty well tested. The old design is still available for those admins who preferred it. Anyway on to the screenshots...

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SCREENSHOTS OF THE NEW DESIGN

Hopefully some of you like it, but feel free to give me any feedback you have.

Old screenshots for those of you who want to know what it looked like before: http://feathur.com/screenshots.php

Github Link: https://github.com/BlueVM/Feathur/tree/Testing

I would greatly appreciate it if we could keep the thread on topic. Anything outside the topic feel free to PM me about.

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Looks very nice :)

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • Looks a lot better!

• ksubediksubedi Member
    edited September 2014

Looks really good, great job with the responsive design. Is this still limited to 5 servers on the free version? Also is the new design already on the latest release or WIP

Edit: Just saw that it was pushed to testing repo. nvm that last line

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited September 2014

ksubedi said: Looks really good, great job with the responsive design. Is this still limited to 5 servers on the free version? Also is the new design already on the latest release or WIP

Most of these things were answered in the FAQ, but I'll sum them up.

Feathur is free. There's no limit on the number of servers, it's free. Licenses are purely for receiving one-on-one support. You are not obligated in any way to buy a license even if you have 10,000 servers.

The design is released under the Testing branch of our repository. You can install Feathur and switch to our Testing branch in minutes. If you'd like we can even set it up for you.

The design and all changes since our last development release will be packaged up tomorrow and put on the develop branch which is considered 'stable' and is the default branch when using Feathur currently.

Thanked by 1ksubedi
  • I like it. Very nicely done.

• @BlueVM said:
    The design and all changes since our last development release will be packaged up tomorrow and put on the develop branch which is considered 'stable' and is the default branch when using Feathur currently.

Awesome, I am gonna give it a shot. I love the new UI :)

• Was wondering if its truly open source if so , i'd like to develop it further for match my needs

• VPSRAIDSolutions said: Was wondering if its truly open source if so , i'd like to develop it further for match my needs

It's released under AGPL. It's 100% open source. Here's the github: https://github.com/BlueVM/Feathur/tree/Testing

• edited September 2014

that api check which you have for licensing , you only check the license / do you have something else checked on your end ?

I have a licensing generator / check ( its kinda old and crap idk if its of use it can be improved but i havent had the time to )

https://gist.github.com/Bharat-B/10005429

• @VPSRAIDSolutions - We have a license check here: http://check.feathur.com/ -- Literally all it does is check the IP against our database. If you have at least 1 active license it comes up as active.

You can however disable the license check in Feathur (all it does is display a 'consider buying a license' message to admins. Users never see any such messages.

• do you finally provide details/information on how to run OpenVZ & KVM on the same node/system? along with the master/OVZ/KVM on same system?

• doughnet said: do you finally provide details/information on how to run OpenVZ & KVM on the same node/system? along with the master/OVZ/KVM on same system?

I would not suggest that you run OpenVZ and KVM on the same system. Anyway you can run a master and a slave on the same system... Directions can be found here: https://github.com/BlueVM/Feathur/wiki/Setup-Guide

• I was shocked by this

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited September 2014

Oh wow this is pretty cool! In all honesty, I never really liked the old design much. This one is so much better!

• The new design is nice but did you secure it from the attack vector that was used to compromise @Nekki's account?

• @wych said:
    The new design is nice but did you secure it from the attack vector that was used to compromise Nekki's account?

That would require an admission that it happened, which there never has been.

• @Nekki said:
    That would require an admission that it happened, which there never has been.

Ahhh, so its like that.

• haphanhaphan Member
    edited September 2014

A lot of effort spent on GUI, which is nice.

I wish I can say so for coding part. Anyway, I appreciate the way you opensource feathur

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited September 2014

Nicely done. Any plans for adding noVNC support?

• I really do like the UI. I will give it a try. How really nice keeping it opensource. Deep Thanks :)

• msg7086 said: I was shocked by this

Learning Java, I was taught to never use else. Even when writing PHP today, I try to stick to this rule as much as possible. This is, well, shocking.

• alexh said: Learning Java, I was taught to never use else.

What? Someone taught you wrong - else is an integral part of logical statements.

I highly recommend this book written by one of my professors.

Principle-Based Refactoring: Learning Software Design Principles by Applying Refactoring Rules

• Dam, we have a lot of so called, "CODING EXPERTS". Since a lot of people are bitching about the code and it is a little rough around the edges. How about you contribute to the project and clean it up instead of pointing every little thing that is not right.

• Good work!

• msg7086 said: I was shocked by this

It's not particularly bad. It's not as clean as I'd like and I'll probably refactor it in the near future, but it's not insecure or wrong... Feel free to fix it and submit a patch if you don't like it.

alexh said: Learning Java, I was taught to never use else. Even when writing PHP today, I try to stick to this rule as much as possible. This is, well, shocking.

There's nothing wrong with else. It's purely personal taste.

haphan said: I wish I can say so for coding part. Anyway, I appreciate the way you opensource feathur

Don't like some of the code? Redo it and submit a patch. Nothing is stopping you.

DalekOfSkaro said: Nicely done. Any plans for adding noVNC support?

Yes we plan to replace the java console with noVNC in the near future.

aggressivenetworks said: How about you contribute to the project and clean it up instead of pointing every little thing that is not right.

I like the contributing part. It's not intended to be a one man project and NOTHING is preventing anyone from submitting patches.

• Does feathur work with ipv6 yet? :(

Thanked by 1Darwin
  • I <3 Feathur. Contributed (+ merged) also :-)

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

so Feathur is ultimately totally free...

it has a 3.5usd charge...

but still nice

• agentmishra said: so Feathur is ultimately totally free...
    it has a 3.5usd charge...
    but still nice

Feathur is 100% free. There's no charge unless you want support and/or want to support the project.

linuxthefish said: Does feathur work with ipv6 yet? :(

Uhm sort of... This might be a more correct answer: https://github.com/BlueVM/Feathur/issues/68

definedcode said: I <3 Feathur. Contributed (+ merged) also :-)

Yeah nice catch not sure why I didn't catch it :P