Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ preferred or not ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ preferred or not ?

I've been looking around to get into business , Although i do not believe in overselling and ripping up performance , wanted to know if OpenVZ services can be charged more incase they are not oversold and performance is kept intact ? Or do buyers prefer KVM

Do mention locations which are favorable for you.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

If you are using a forum to help write your business plan, I would take a step back and think long and hard about your company's future.

The best way to survive in this market is to be unique in some way, asking people what they like and already have is not a good way to start planning your business. Think of something unique and do it, don't wait for somebody to tell you how to build your company.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • if you are capable of delivering kvm virtualized vps then you definitly should choose that over ovz because everything will be working flawless for the vps users without needing to request specific modules to work.

• @KuJoe , Thank you for the very important suggestion !

• @Mark_R , Thank you for highlighting a con for KVM

• A con?

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited September 2014

@Bhuvan said:
    Mark_R , Thank you for highlighting a con for KVM

I don't think he was outlining a con.

@Mark_R said:
    if you are capable of delivering kvm virtualized vps then you definitly should choose that over ovz because everything will be working flawless for the vps users without needing to request specific modules to work.

KVM is pretty easy to get started with in my opinion. A linux admin should be able to setup a KVM VPS or OpenVZ VPS very quickly. KVM is built-in to the kernel and ready for use* with RHEL so it is even easier to get started with than OpenVZ in my opinion.

OpenVZ's benefits are efficiency. The shared kernel approach saves resources and provides little performance overhead compared to KVM. It all depends on what the user needs, if they need specific kernel modules or to run a non-linux OS then KVM would be better. If they are running standard apps, then OpenVZ is faster.

However, before you try to start selling, you must know how to properly manage a node through CLI, not through some control panel. You should know the ins and outs of the software or hire a system admin that does. You can't leave your customers in the lurch because you either didn't do your research or relied on a control panel.

• BhuvanBhuvan Member
    edited September 2014

im a linux admin been in business before have scripting experience in bash also have my own panel for openvz which i made using PHP MYSQL CRON BASH , just trying to re analyse the stats of customer's preferences

• @Bhuvan said:
    im a linux admin been in business before have scripting experience in bash also have my own panel for openvz which i made using PHP MYSQL CRON BASH , just trying to re analyse the stats of customer's preferences

In that case, I think users who actually know what virtualization technologies are out there, the preference is with KVM. This is mostly because they have brainwashed to think that OpenVZ performs worse and not that they actually need KVM. Mostly because of poor hosts overselling OpenVZ beyond the point of return.

What they don't realize though is if they are allocated the same resources on KVM and OpenVZ, the OpenVZ server will always perform better due to its design.

• KVM is full virtualization and supports Windows as well. OpenVZ does not and is OS Level Virtualization which uses a super chroot method to create a VM. For ease I would stick to KVM, but that is just me.

• agree on that part ( selling OpenVZ like KVM ( limited sale ) ) will keep the reputation up for the virt-method i personally prefer openVZ since resizing up / down is kinda easy and hassle free unless the disk space etc are no sufficient.

• thank you