Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increhost says sorry for accidentally deleting the VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Increhost says sorry for accidentally deleting the VPS

2»

Comments

• You are right as well. Appreciate your comment.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Everyone makes mistakes. Me, every day. So far did not delete any VPS by mistake, but it is entirely in the realm of possible. I will be very sorry, but there wont be anything that can be done, in most cases. I remember at least a few close calls, fortunately, I was lucky.
    Uncle unplugged the wrong server, rebooted the wrong server or pulled the wrong disks and many other things I know of, yet is one of the most competent and careful guys in the industry. 1 second of distraction and human error happens. Nobody dies (usually) in this industry, and, fortunately, it is relatively easy and cheap to protect from this kind of errors.
    Yes, the company is at fault, of course you need to double-check everything, still, even at NASA with people paid thousands a day human error does happen. You cannot even fire the guy for this, unless it happens more than once a few months. I mean you can, but it will not be fair.
    May the guy which never made any mistake throw the first stone.

• techkkentechkken Member
    edited September 2014

@HWAYS

We all sympathize with you. I wish this does not happen to my enemies.

Also local backups = no backups

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • HWAYSHWAYS Member
    edited September 2014

techkken said: Also local backups = no backups

Learn it, the hardest way.

I got an answer from Increhost:

"Daniel, of course, that's why we told you ASAP.

Again we are truly and deeply sorry about this.

Please tell us how do you want to proceed.

Kind Regars"

• They are good host. Sometimes honest and friendly reply to the client will overcome the faults. That is true business i guess.

• Contact the NSA, maybe they have a copy of your data.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    Human error happens, it is a sad fact of life, at least they admitted it rather than blaming clients like some hosts here have done.

This. I am not shocked that humans are imperfect beings. I am mildly shocked that an imperfect being would expect perfection from another imperfect being, admittedly.

That they were honest and straight forward about this, without excuses, leaves me with more positive feelings about this host than negative ones.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

While the situation is unfortunate, the provider was professional and honest about it. Everybody involved learned something. In the future you may consider this service? http://www.nsa-cloud.com/

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2014

I would suggest, do not host important data at LEB providers. Use Linode or Amazon.

Or get your own dedicated server, throw OpenVZ + SolusVM on it and be responsible for all data.

• chaufferchauffer Member
    edited September 2014

FtpIt_Radi said: I would suggest, do not host important data at LEB providers.

Do your customers know that?

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • Good question Chauffer. I am eager to see theanswer .

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@chauffer said:

We rarely go down and we double check before deleting any VM. However I said if OP is running a business, where the data is very important, he should not host with any LEB provider not only us. After all do you think a bank for example will host their website on a $7 VPS?

• For us doesn't matter if we host a bank or a website with 3 html pages. For any client it's website is the most important.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@HWAYS said:
    Sure. I agree with this. I dont blame them because they don't have backups, I blame them because they deleted an account. Is it hard to see the difference ?

It is written in the TOS that we can accidentally delete the accounts therefore please do backups ?

When you go with the car to the Service Center do they ask you for a full insurance because their servicemen can put fire on your car ?

So, any new client of Increhost (or even the old one) should think: "nice price, nice offers but I have to be prepared as they can delete my account all the time".

what if I have a forum as this one and the backups are done at each 24 hrs ? Should be ok to have lost 5000 posts ?

I run another ecommerce website with 40 orders per day. I have daily backups. Should I expect to lose all the daily orders because a smart guy delete my account ?

HOW can this action be indemnified ?

Pls re-read their statement:

"...while processing the cancelation of one of your servers there as a mistake on our side which ended with the cancelation of both of your VPS.
    ..."

You won't be happy with this either.

Easy:

Rent a VPS from buyvm, ramnode, Prometeus, or any top10 and move on.

• I use mycustomhosting and hosthatch.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited September 2014

@FtpIt_Radi said:
    We rarely go down and we double check before deleting any VM. However I said if OP is running a business, where the data is very important, he should not host with any LEB provider not only us. After all do you think a bank for example will host their website on a $7 VPS?

This's the silliest thing someone ever said in the history of hosting I think.

People at Linode and Amazon are not humans? They can make mistakes and they do make mistakes and they will make mistakes till they die. It's not even about people making mistakes. It's about the technology is not being 100% error free. Hardware dies.

Linode got hacked last year. If the attacker was a violent person, he would have destroyed the nodes since he got the admin's username and passwords.

If you have important data, you take backups. If you work on some important thing, you keep backups of it while you doing it. You just don't deploy it somewhere and wait for the cronjob to take the backup. If one day of backup won't cut it then you make hourly. If not, you make every 5 minutes or even constant sync with database clusters.

A wise man once said, if you don't have at least 3 copies of your data, it never existed to begin with.

If you have critical services running when the uptime is critical, you build redundancy and failover mechanisms.

It's that simple.

And yes, all these can be accomplished on budget services if you are capable.

• @netomx said:
    Rent a VPS from buyvm, ramnode, Prometeus, or any top10 and move on.

I claim this is the second silliest thing ever said in the industry.

BuyVM became BuyVM because people bought from them when there were better alternatives when they first started. Same goes with other hosts as well. Every single host you mentioned had issues in their past and most of their clients stayed with them. And they got bigger. Because they handled the panic situations well and compensated people. Just like the particular host did here. They handled it in the best way they could. There is no reason to leave them for better alternatives. Because as I said, if you don't give them a chance, they can't become the next BuyVM or Ramnode. And an industry without healthy competition results in higher prices and sleazy services. I don't think you as an end user would want that.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2014

Even if a provider provides a backup service you should only see that as an option to get back up and running quicker should something go wrong, it should not be treated as your only option.

If you are going to work a full night to configure a VPS and transfer data then it must be reasonably important to you or a client. The first task should be something like a 10 minute job to create an rsync task to another VPS which should be automated and also run after each milestone for safety.

With the cost of VPS from a host of reliable providers the cost is by no means prohibitive.

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • Lesson .. dont run anything on a VPS that you cannot live without
    i have a few hundred of these running and i know if anyone of these in inaccessible i will work around it no issues ..
    these cheapo ( read lowendbox/talk ) deals are good ..but make sure they are used/utilized the right way ..
    i am sure a lot of folks might disagree with me .. but thats how i feel

and while we are on it ..hey guys from minivps .. is your server on a 14,4k modem nowadays :)

thanx all

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@serverian said:
    BuyVM became BuyVM because people bought from them when there were better alternatives when they first started. Same goes with other hosts as well. Every single host you mentioned had issues in their past and most of their clients stayed with them. And they got bigger. Because they handled the panic situations well and compensated people. Just like the particular host did here. They handled it in the best way they could. There is no reason to leave them for better alternatives. Because as I said, if you don't give them a chance, they can't become the next BuyVM or Ramnode. And an industry without healthy competition results in higher prices and sleazy services. I don't think you as an end user would want that.

OK Otkay, no more sweet dinners for you for a month then.

:p

• A similar thing happened to me a year ago with a different host. The host accidentally deleted my VPS a month after I made my annual renewal payment and I didn't notice it for a few months because I rarely connected to the server. It was annoying because I had about a year's worth of stuff updated into a private Wiki and I was trying to connect that time to back it up again (the last backup was outdated by several months - I was busy with work). I accept that it was my fault for not automating backup and that there is nothing I can do to go back in time to change that. So, I have three questions for those of you who use and backup their VPS more often:
    1) What is the simplest way to automatically backup a Linux (Debian) VPS to a Windows desktop machine (with each backup being saved with a timestamped filename and such that restoring the backup to a new VPS is also easy)? Preferably, this would a secure/encrypted method and I would also need to know how to restore the backup.
    2) Same as #1, but backing up from one Linux (Debian) VPS to another. (People often mention rsync, but specific flags or a specific guide that you can endorse would be appreciated).
    3) Same as #1, but backing up just one specific large (2GB) file on a Windows desktop machine to another. (Note: the file would be a Truecrypt mounted encrypted volume, so the backup would likely need to be pushed from that box after the volume was dismounted.)

I have thought about something like BTSync, but it wouldn't meet my needs, since I want to keep multiple timestamped backups.

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@user123 said:

rsnapshot perhaps

• @user123 said:

In my case, I always set up master-slave replication for MySQL so that I'll always have 2 online copy somewhere. Then I always set up daily database dump and then pack them into a tarball and ftp-mirror/rsync to remote backup servers. In the same way you can pack your site files into tarball as well.

Syncing to Linux is quite simple, but to Windows is easy as well. Configure yourself a filezilla server, and then on Linux you can use lftp reverse-mirror function to sync whole backups onto your desktop.

rsync: rsync -a is quite enough for most circumstance.

ftp: (fill in the variables according to your needs)

lftp -c "set ftp:list-options -a;
    set ssl:verify-certificate no;
    open $ADDRESS ;
    lcd $LCD ;
    cd $RCD ;
    mirror --reverse --verbose --only-missing
    "

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1048
    That backs up to our free ftp, but you can always install a windows ftp server.
    Unless windows server and hardened+updates, I do not recommend putting it online at least put it behind NAT and forward the ports and keep the listening services updated.

• If someone wonders, there is no other email from Incehost or its managers....

• @HWAYS said:
    If someone wonders, there is no other email from Incehost or its managers....

What do you want them to say? They removed the wrong one and apologised, please just move on..

• Oh, the tech just said that the manager will contact me and talk on this.
    Sure, no problem.

• @HWAYS said:
    Oh, the tech just said that the manager will contact me and talk on this.
    Sure, no problem.

Management mostly works on office hours. You might want to wait till the Monday ends.