Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

own DNS server or third party providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

own DNS server or third party providers

peeyespeeyes Member
edited September 2014 in General

which one do you prefer your own DNS server or third party like CloudFlare. I have both but I think third party would be good option as even if our DNS server goes down, we can point client's domains to another server, any thought?

DNS Server
  1. I use..86 votes
    1. My own DNS server
      30.23%
    2. Third party DNS server
      50.00%
    3. Both
      19.77%

Comments

• If ur businesses is powered by custom DNS feature or complexities in DNS then run your own. If you could use DNS from shared hosting with out a single problem then use 3rd party

Thanked by 1DBA
  • @wojons said:
    If you could use DNS from shared hosting with out a single problem then use 3rd party

why DNS from sharedhosting? we can directly use 3rd party like CloudFlare!

• Paid - DNS Made Easy. Free - Rage4 and HE.net - we use a mix of all three and have no problems.

• Depends on what your needs are.

• If you can get by with third party name servers then do so.

• @gozen said:
    Depends on what your needs are.

my needs are:

1) fast resolving
    2) DDOS protection, at least basic
    3) and obviously, point our domain to right server/ip address through DNS

• @energytech said:
    Paid - DNS Made Easy. Free - Rage4 and HE.net - we use a mix of all three and have no problems.

Rage4 wasn't free for me. It was only a couple of pounds per month, but I wouldn't consider that free.

I switched from Rage4 to NSONE as NSONE now supports ECS (edns-client-subnet) which helps my custom content delivery network be more efficient with users using Google's Public DNS. I also have my own DNS server for some of my websites.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@ub3rstar - we also support ECS, even more, we are one of the first providers which introduced this as standard feature

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • not sure why nobody is talking about CloudFlare, they have a free plan with unlimited bandwidth and basic securities like DDoS, and even status about our visitors! any problem with using that one?

• We use the free SoftLayer DNS, as it's fast and reliable.

• Best is Anycast DNS as your DNS records get replicated to 20+ servers around the world . Cloudflare's DNS is Anycast & its free so I would recommend that.

Thanked by 2peeyes aglodek
  • @peeyes said:
    why DNS from sharedhosting? we can directly use 3rd party like CloudFlare!

I am not saying you should use dns from shared hosting but if your dns rules are simple then you should use shard hosting. using 3rd party like cloudflare is great and has an api when you need it. but if your doing geo load balanacing for your self or something else intresting like creating records for clients that need subdomains on your product. then you should host ur own dns

• DNS, like mail, is something I prefer to offload since reliability is so essential.

CloudFlare is pretty hard to beat, even if you're comparing their free offering to paid services, and you can disable the CDN functionality completely if you only want to use them for their very fast anycast DNS.

Rackspace offers extremely reliable free anycast DNS hosting as well.

• peeyespeeyes Member
    edited September 2014

@Dylan said:
    DNS, like mail, is something I prefer to offload since reliability is so essential.

Yes, exactly, thats what my thought too...

• own DNS server or third party providers

Own a third party DNS provider.

• Given how important DNS is, it's almost always a good idea to go with third party DNS — especially when you consider how there are very reliable free services out there.

The only reason I host my own is because I wanted to learn how to run DNS servers. I have a stealth master with three slaves. I figure that all three won't go down at once, and I have Nagios watching it all…

• I use rage4 for my domains, cost only 12 euro a year with unlimited request. I simply love it!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

shammy said: Given how important DNS is, it's almost always a good idea to go with third party DNS

On the contrary, as the saying goes, "If you want it done well, do it yourself." :)

shammy said: how there are very reliable free services

Which give a rats f*ck about you and your DNS being down for hours, not even bothering to reply to E-mails, or inform about the cause of the downtime. Also when a third-party provider is down, all too often they are down altogether with all their locations. Whereas on self-hosted DNS you can spread across a number of totally different and independent providers (each of those also paid, so it won't be "oh it's a free service, you can't really complain").

Come on, with today's cost of VPSes and dedis, there's no excuse to entrust a crucial thing such as DNS to a third-party's "free service".

• shammy said: how there are very reliable free services

Which give a rats f*ck about you and your DNS being down for hours, not even bothering to reply to E-mails, or inform about the cause of the downtime. Also when a third-party provider is down, too often they are down altogether with all their locations.

The likes of CloudFlare are unlikely to have this sort of problem.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

shammy said: The likes of CloudFlare are unlikely to have this sort of problem.

Sure they are. http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/03/cloudflare-is-down-due-to-dns-outage-taking-down-785000-websites-including-4chan-wikileaks-metallica-com/

[Matthew] Prince thought about CloudFlare’s paying customers as well and the company will act accordingly to make up for the outage: “We are extremely disappointed and we’ll definitely be honoring our paying customers.”

Note how he doesn't even pretend to care about the non-paying ones.

Even if Cloudflare/HE.net/whoever have redundancy across continents, through some mistake they can still go down as a whole. It's still one provider, so in a certain sense you have no redundancy.

So instead, if you'd distribute your DNS across even 3 providers (not to mention 4-5), which are independently owned and located on different continents, it's pretty much impossible for all of them to go down at the same time.

• I would use self-hosted and/or NSONE/HE.net in terms of uptime/stability/ease to use.

• I am using Rage4 and very happy with it for our production sites.

Just for learning and testing purpose, I tried powerdns with multiple slaves ( leb vps in 5 locations), so for performance is good and very happy..

The most good thing i have with my own set up is that since the backend is mysql, I can easily update multiple records in case of any change in IP

• @praveen I had mine setup like that (PowerDNS + MySQL + slaves). I'm curious as to how you find the difference between that + Rage4? I'm just thinking its easier to offload DNS nowdays and cheaper. They've got better infrastructure etc etc.

• Cloudns and Linode's DNS for critical stuff. What about domain name registration redundancy?

• @jeromeza of course we cannot compare our small setup with Rage4 and other professional guys and it is better not to take the headache of managing our own infrastructure unless you have any special reason.

But for me I feel interested in setting it up and learning

performance wise, when compared on https://www.ultratools.com/tools/dnsHostingSpeed here is the result

http://postimg.org/image/cx6iwlpaj/0dd2d472/

you can see Rage4 is better. but keep in mind that our setup uses few 256 / 512 MB vps and not using anycast.

• Is there a way to use third party DNS as master and own DNS server as slave?

I searched around, but the tutorials are all about setting two own servers as master and slave or use third party DNS as slave.

• hiphiphip0 said: Is there a way to use third party DNS as master and own DNS server as slave?

I searched around, but the tutorials are all about setting two own servers as master and slave or use third party DNS as slave.

You can usually do it the other away around. I.e. operate your own master and use a third party for slave. HE and Rage4 support slave mode.

Thanked by 1hiphiphip0
  • @kcaj said:
    You can usually do it the other away around. I.e. operate your own master and use a third party for slave. HE and Rage4 support slave mode.

I want to use third party DNS as master because I could update records on their websites or using API, I'm not confident to handle a master DNS server myself.
    Some ISP could not resolve my domains if using third party DNS only, so I want to add a own slave to solve the problem.

• @joodle said:
    I use rage4 for my domains, cost only 12 euro a year with unlimited request. I simply love it!

Which package it is?

• @nehafarzana80 said:
    Which package it is?

From Prometeus ;)