Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you remember all username and password
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you remember all username and password

Surely we have many account we use in daily life. Social account, solusvm, clientarea, forum, ssh, etc.

How do you guys remember it all? you write it somewhere? or is there any efficient ways to do it?

Yes there are 3rd party services to store our data, but i dont really trust them.

Comments

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited September 2014

I use LastPass and have for a few years now. They haven't let me down yet and while their note taking user interface could use some improving, it does everything I need it to. I also subscribe to their premium service so I have easy access to everything on my phone. If you don't trust them you could try something like KeePass. I used it for a while, but the LastPass integration with the browser and not needing to synchronise files on my own eventually compelled me to switch.

• askanceaskance Member
    edited September 2014

I use the cloud-based browser extension LastPass (non-ref.) and KeePass (offline vault) for passwords that I would never store in the cloud, regardless of how secure it may be. There are mobile apps for both, so I always have my passwords with me.

edit: Chronic beat me to it. :)

• @Chronic said:
    I use LastPass and have for a few years now. They haven't let me down yet and while their note taking user interface could use some improving, it does everything I need it to. I also subscribe to their premium service so I have easy access to everything on my phone. If you don't trust them you could try something else like KeePass.

ok.. what about ssh login details? can we store it in LastPass too? yes, use ssh keys are better but I prefer login using password

• askanceaskance Member
    edited September 2014

psycholyzern said: ssh keys are better but I prefer login using password

You could do both by using an encrypted public/private key pair. The benefit is that your password no longer has to be the same as the account password, very useful if you're sharing the account.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited September 2014

psycholyzern said: ok.. what about ssh login details? can we store it in LastPass too?

You can store anything you want in what are called "secure notes". They work like a glorified Notepad and synchronise along with the rest of your passwords. There are certain templates available that you can use when creating new secure notes, or you can use the generic one that's just a text field and fill that out with anything you wish. You can also attach files to notes. What it doesn't do is use the data in your secure notes to automatically login to services, like it does for websites and the regular passwords. But as long as you don't mind manually copying and pasting the password when you login via SSH, this should do the trick as good as anything.

• I use only a single password for everything and my password is 'password123'.

• GIANT_CRAB said: I use only a single password for everything and my password is 'password123'.

I must have made a typo somewhere.

Thanked by 2Symlink TriDoxiuM
  • i use my brain

Thanked by 3risharde Rami sc754
  • Notepad.exe for stuff like solusvm/whmcs logins, and 1 SSH key for logging into ssh.

• I don't use lastpass etc, remember email, social accounts passwords in my mind while passwords for SSH, SolusVM, iLO etc are saved in .txt :)

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited September 2014

For anything web related, I use Chrome with 2FA and specific app password for it to sync, which is different from the gmail login. For anything else, I use a small notepad sticked under my desk + 2FA wherever is possible.

I don't trust any "password remembering app" and I consider the harm already done by using Chrome but at least it is the smallest sacrifice.

For SSH, always use keys to login, ffs!

• KeyPass on Comp as well as Mobile

• KeePass + KeeFox/ChromeIPass for browsers
    MTPuTTY for SSH
    Manual KeePass entry for anything else

• I am using keePass with dropbox to access on iphone, android and PC

• I use my memory. I've had the occasional hiccup and forgot a password but I'd rather go through the occasional password reset than put my trust in a local/remote app.

Thanked by 2orak Upstage
  • I use my head. I never store any password, simply don't trust it.

Thanked by 1sc754
  • Chronic said: I use LastPass and have for a few years now.

+1

• LastPass too!

• Lastpass for all non critical stuff...

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited September 2014

What if LastPass was secretly funded by the NSA. hehehhhehe btw, I use my head and notepad for irritating auto generated passwords.

• Keepass can act as a key agent (SSH public keys).

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • use the same username and password. ^-^

Thanked by 1Symlink
  • LastPass Enterprise

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2014
  • @Upstage said:
    i use my brain

+1

• I tattooed all my passwords on my firstborn's back.

• I save my passwords in hipster dubstep music.

• Lastpass FTW :)

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    I use only a single password for everything and my password is 'password123'.

No lie, up until just now when I changed it, that was my pass on here since I made the account, ha