Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Re-Register a domain name.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Re-Register a domain name.

Hi all. Not vps related but there are some clued up people on here when it comes to hosting in general.

Domain I used infrequently expired as emails were sent to an old email address.

Its status has been in pending delete for about 7 weeks now. Is there some sort of time limit on this? It was purchased through namecheap originally.

Cheers.

Comments

• Better you use some domain backorder service if it is so important to you.

http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Services/Backorders.aspx

• Contact Namecheap, they will be able to renew it most likely if its your domain. There's usually 70-90 days waiting period before domain is actually deleted.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • It's not overly important but I wouldn't mind it back at some point. Didn't realise that it could sit in that status for so long - I check its availability periodically

• @iniz - I did ask someone there who said it would cost something like 220 dollars

• @krs360 said:
    iniz - I did ask someone there who said it would cost something like 220 dollars

Then its in the redemption phase where you will be charged a hefty fee.

If you choose not to redeem 1 of 2 things can happen

a) The domain will be picked/caught up by a domain shark who might or might not want to auction/sell it.

or

b) The domain could be dropped & you could register it again like a new registration from anywhere.

If the domain is only an year old and isnt really worth anything to anybody except you then it might drop but if its worth even the tiniest in value then it could be caught.

• What are domain sharks?

• If it wasn't a big website, there are chances that nobody register it and you'll be able to get it quite soon.

It depends the tld but I believe that the maximum for pending delete is 60 days...

• Contact Namecheap first, ask what they can do for you. Then don't forget to register DNMin http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14454/dnmin-domain-management-tool-beta-testers-needed

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @ahmiq said:
    What are domain sharks?

As far as I'm aware they pickup expired domains and put a 'landing page' or 'parked page' which says something like "YOU CAN BUY THIS DOMAIN FOR $$$$". They pretty much just get a domain they deem good and keep it for themselves

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited September 2014

@HyperSpeed said: As far as I'm aware they pickup expired domains and put a 'landing page' or 'parked page' which says something like "YOU CAN BUY THIS DOMAIN FOR $$$$". They pretty much just get a domain they deem good and keep it for themselves

Some registrars, Enom for one, take over your expired domains they deem worthwhile and renew them and offer for sale through third parties. Register.com even had ICANN go after them for this kind of thing, if memory serves. I don't know if Namecheap partakes too (they are an Enom reseller), but "Pending Delete" for .COM .NET .ORG lasts 5 or 6 days, so if it' one of these TLD's, things look a bit off...

One way to go about this is ask ICANN to investigate. That should generate a polite reply that all is in order, but if it's not, ICANN should sort it out with Enom/Namecheap pretty quick.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Domainsharks really frustrate me... so mucb good domains with those annoying landing pages

Thanked by 1user123
  • my entire domain gain story though I didnt own the domain previously.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/22662/how-to-get-an-expiring-domain-pending-delete-state

• You can always be a "domain shark" yourself. All you have to do is put in a backorder. I wouldn't bother though unless the domain is valuable enough that someone else might grab it.