Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do hosting facilities and their networks work? Host companies please respond
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do hosting facilities and their networks work? Host companies please respond

hrmnothnxhrmnothnx Member
edited June 2012 in General

ok just to set up here i have a VPS from almost EVERY USA (and a couple uk) company that advertises on this site. i have 25 VPS servers. i have noticed something i dont understand, and i hope someone who works for a company can answer this for me. the situation i have noticed is some of your networks are blocked by other popular websites. i imagine this is due to abuse from a previous customer that was without your knowledge. But it stops my vps form being able to interact with the website. here is where it gets complicated and i cant connect all the dots. lets say hosting company X and Y both host in Chicago company X maybe blocked buy Y isnt so i imagine its different hosting facilities. i will post up some cities and the beginning of the IP range because certain ranges are always blocked so im thinking entire facilities are blocked because the IP range the common gate is associated with for the building is blocked? so if i could figure out if the facility is blocked then i can ask before i sign up and therefore stop wasting time setting a vps up only to find out its blocked then bug you for a refund or to switch me to a different city

so here are some cities from various hosts and the beginning of the ip ranges that are always blocked regaurless of host company
scranton 173 blocked
miami 184 blocked
dallas 108 blocked
chicago 184 blocked
chicago 64 blocked
los Angeles 64 blocked
kansas 63 blocked
houston 174 blocked

and just because i know people will accuse me of being up to no good i will explain what i do. i use my VPS to set up private proxy's for individuals to use at work or home or wherever they like. and then they complain that hey i order this service from me but they cant go to this site or that site.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

Blocked from what exactly?

EDIT: You may want to look at rewriting your post with proper capitalization, punctuation, and paragraphs. It's rather hard to read it now.

• any interaction with a website from the vps hosted at the above cities/ip ranges

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I'm still not sure what you are talking about...

From what server to what server are you trying to communicate, where it fails?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited June 2012

@joepie91 said: I'm still not sure what you are talking about...

Because i'm always willing to help and answer questions, I've read this about 5 times now.

Every time it gets worse. My brain is scared :(

• DamianDamian Member

Are you talking about DROP? http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/

• flame on all you want boys but someone has to keep the lights on around here by using LEB promo codes and direct sign up links, 40+ vps activations in the last 6 months :) so thanks for re-reading my madness a few times i think Damian is onto something i looked at the list on that site you linked spamhaus.org and alot of the ips on that site line up with vps ive had issues with, can you explain to me what exactly that site it because that site to me is what my post is to you.

• in the DROP are ranges of known high value cybercriminals and stolen IP ranges, most ISPs use it and block any communication with these ranges.

• ok so when you get a vps that was abused and is in that range your just SOL forever? if your the new owner and use it for legitimate purposes can you submit to have it removed from the list. IPv4 is so limited and reusable it don't see how u can blacklist IP ranges for good. its hurting these VPS companies id love to do business with but their stuff is blacklisted

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Is one of that services Netflix?

• hrmnothnxhrmnothnx Member
    edited June 2012

no ive never had anyone try and use netflix, its mainly their personal email sites. facebook, some e-commerce sites, forums things like that. my clients are old business guys they dont go to far off the beaten path

and just to note ive never had one GET blocked while it was mine im specifically talking about when i sign up for a vps get it setup and then test it some of them are blocked from the get go

I have never seen any webpage blocked with VPNs, just Netflix :(

• DamianDamian Member

Does anyone know what's going on here?!?!?!

• just to update... ive ran every IP that ive found to be blocked by any webpages with the spamhaus.org data base and none of them are on the list so its something else. liek i originally posted id liek someone who works at or with a co-location facility to explain how the network is setup and how hosting is delt out within the facility between providers. because my theory is its the co-location facility or some common piece of hardware in them that is blocked..

@Damian said: Does anyone know what's going on here?!?!?!

In my example, Netflix blocked some IP ranges on Limestone Network. I can say this because I have a VPN there and they blocked Netflix. Now I received a new IP and it is working. I think it is someghing like this... but I dont know anything else :/

• DamianDamian Member

But most providers don't have 16 million IP addresses assigned to them?

• im going to spell it out for damian real simple

i buy vps
    VPS has a black listed IP address
    i buy vps from different company in same city the ip address is not blacklisted
    i buy vps from original company in different city and its not blacklisted

im sick of wasting time setting up VPS that is blacklisted before i touch it

i want to understand how/why these are blacklisted so i dont waste time/money and so i can do MORE business with companies that can assist me in this.

Can you give an example of what service or webpage told you it is blacklisted?

• rds100rds100 Member

Also listing some of the supposedly blacklisted IPs (which you no longer use) could help.

• @hrmnothnx said: VPS has a black listed IP address

Blacklisted where? What specific sites/services are blocking that IP?

@hrmnothnx said: i buy vps from different company in same city the ip address is not blacklisted

Irrelevant. Blacklists are done by single IP, range, or allocation. Not by city (though sometimes by country)

@hrmnothnx said: i buy vps from original company in different city and its not blacklisted

See above.

@hrmnothnx said: im sick of wasting time setting up VPS that is blacklisted before i touch it

Perhaps if you could give some specific details, mainly to the VPS providers that you claim have this problem, they could resolve it for you. But if this is the kind of information you give them, I can understand why nothing was fixed. It's rather difficult to resolve a problem when you don't know about it.

• DamianDamian Member

That was much easier to understand than the huge block of text in the initial post without the concept of paragraphs or punctuation

What was it blacklisted by?

• !?!??!?!?!?!??!

I don't know what I just read

• liek i already stated facebook, email sites like hotmail. yahoo. some other site women like called pintrest. some shopping sites. the exact site is irrelevant i understand WHY they WERE once blocked someone spammed from that IP obviously but its only certain co location facilities that seem to have the problematic ranges

• DamianDamian Member

Indeed, some providers don't respond to abuse requests. So the sites take action.

@hrmnothnx said: the exact site is irrelevant

it IS relevant. Not all pages work the same... By example, Hulu blocks by country... I can't watch Hulu on Mexico... but I can enter to Google... get it?

• i dont want to name company names and give IP addresses on a public forum thats bad business. this thread was intended from someone of the companies to get in contact with ME not a bunch of forum flamers to speculate and flame me.

• @hrmnothnx said: scranton 173 blocked

miami 184 blocked
    dallas 108 blocked
    chicago 184 blocked
    chicago 64 blocked
    los Angeles 64 blocked
    kansas 63 blocked
    houston 174 blocked

So those are all blocked by Facebook? Damn, wonder why it works just fine for me from some of those...

I highly doubt it's "always blocked" in those ranges. If you really want answers, I'd recommend giving any possible detail you can - especially full IP. There are any number of theories here. None have to do with the host or their datacenter. It's very unlikely your end (host, equipment, or datacenter) is blocking much of anything on it's way out, especially specific known-good websites.

• I'm starting to think that the providers this guy has dealt with have gotten the same vague, generic 'information' that we're seeing here. And I'll be perfectly honest... if someone complains about 'being blocked' from a site, but won't at least give some specifics (error messages received, VPN/Proxy setup, etc), I don't find myself very motivated to spend the rest of my afternoon on a wild goose hunt.

@hrmnothnx said: this thread was intended from someone of the companies to get in contact with ME not a bunch of forum flamers to speculate and flame me.

LOL. Goodbye my chances to help you

• @hrmnothnx said: this thread was intended from someone of the companies to get in contact with ME not a bunch of forum flamers to speculate and flame me.

How would someone from one of the companies get in contact with you when they don't know it has anything to do with them?!

• @hrmnothnx said: this thread was intended from someone of the companies to get in contact with ME

No, that's not how support works. If you have a problem, you go to the company that you're renting the VPS from. Don't expect their support teams to come hunt you down based on some half-assed forum complaint.

Thanked by 1DimeCadmium