Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why or how companies offer minecraft servers so cheap?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why or how companies offer minecraft servers so cheap?

martip07martip07 Member
edited June 2012 in General

The las 5 days that I was on a minecraft forum I could notice that a lot of mc hosting companies offer mc servers/host for 3, 2, 5 or 7 dollars - 512 mb and 1 gb.

How can they do that and earn money :S . Oversell or what?

Comments

• VictorVictor Member
    edited June 2012

Probably have a small profit margin and earn from the huge quantity they sell or just have good deals with their upstream providers, latter is more likely. But don't take my word for it, as I've never been involved with MC hosting before.

• Step 1: Get 32GB RAM server for 50€/month
    Step 2: Sell 32 Servers with 1gb RAM for 5€/month each
    Step 3: Profit!

Of course a real host would use its own hardware to further reduce the costs (and also have to spend some money on licensing software etc)

I don't think this is a really sustainable and you will see most hosts offering such cheap servers disappear very fast. (especially due to disk i/o and CPU)

• I was able to reduce cost by getting deals from upstream providers and writing my own software.

• @gsrdgrdghd ya that part of get a dedi its true.

But it looks like kids ( not all ) and some adults trust those mc companies.

@Victor ya problem with small profit is that they wont be able to keep paying hardware with small profir

alsi license its cheap.

• @Daniel make a control panel its possible to reduce costs but it will take sime time doing it alone.

• VictorVictor Member

@martip07 Well, then it's most likely that they have great deals with upstream providers as @Daniel has mentioned.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@martip07 said: @Daniel make a control panel its possible to reduce costs but it will take sime time doing it alone.

I did make my own, took a few months. But it does exactly what I want and pwns other panels.

• Mmm interesting info :D

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

We have to remember they are all using SSD's as well to help out with IO/overselling

• Minecraft servers are just easy to deal with. No abusers to worry about

• DamianDamian Member

When I was trial-running Minecraft servers, I found that they use very little CPU and bandwidth, but are heavy on I/O and memory. When I was pricing servers, I was pricing with AMD FX-series CPUs and associated motherboards, which are consumer grade, and was coming out at around $550 for a 32-gigabyte server. If I sell 30 1-gb plans at $5 per month, the server's paid off in 4 months. Not bad.

• martip07martip07 Member
    edited June 2012

Now all that its new, good point.

@bijan588 what do you mean?

@CVPS_Chris how can you be sure if they work with SSD?

• specklspeckl Member

@Damian said: When I was trial-running Minecraft servers, I found that they use very little CPU and bandwidth, but are heavy on I/O and memory. When I was pricing servers, I was pricing with AMD FX-series CPUs and associated motherboards, which are consumer grade, and was coming out at around $550 for a 32-gigabyte server. If I sell 30 1-gb plans at $5 per month, the server's paid off in 4 months. Not bad.

That price is pretty accurate. I just built a machine for myself with the FX 6 core processor, 16gb ram, and threw in an SSD. Performance is REALLY amazing. Most people say I should have gotten an intel 2600, but I can't justify spending an extra hundred dollars for a MB and processor bundle that doesn't have much of an upgrade path. The FX is AM3+ and AMD is still using that architecture to build their newer cpus.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited June 2012

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9vrZ is a config that I just came up with. I used a different motherboard in my original config, but I can't find it.

We've got a pallet of empty standardized 2u cases with power supplies, so I didn't factor a chassis into the price.

• I think the biggest factor when doing minecraft hosting is having to deal with all the 12 years olds using their parents CC/paypal account and expecting you to set up everythign for them. I personally would never want to deal with such a clientel.

• bijan588bijan588 Member
    edited June 2012

@gsrdgrdghd So true, I usually ending up refunding clients who do that.

• DamianDamian Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: expecting you to set up everythign for them.

What's there to set up? I've been looking at Minecraft panels for a little while now, most of them look very automated.

• @Damian said: What's there to set up? I've been looking at Minecraft panels for a little while now, most of them look very automated.

the 100's of plugins for minecraft servers.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: the 100's of plugins for minecraft servers.

And there are always some plugins that do the same but slightly differently, some that require a certain Bukkit version, some that will crash the server etc.

Of course the kids won't know how to configure the plugins/use YAML/yet alone which plugin they want and will ask the hoster to set it up

• Of course, but its a good idea ask for an extra money? like a support package for all that help?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

probably a factor, that server may not be very stable because games are not that critical?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

OVH.

Tons of OVH.

Hell, I got someone that chats to me on IRC right now that's planning to sell MC servers, all based on how cheap he can get a 16GB RAM box out of OVH w/ multicraft.

Francisco

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: the 100's of plugins for minecraft servers.

I coded my panel to automate plugins too. :P

If they can't click one button to install and setup a plugin, then they shouldn't be running a MC Server. Heck I even automate pretty much everything else, yet some people still don't get it.

• @Francisco is that true, so Users like me get bad services/products :(

@Daniel, can you tell us more about that panel?

• @martip07 said: @Daniel, can you tell us more about that panel?

I coded it myself, http://www.piepanel.com, its exclusive to my servers.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@martip07 said: @Francisco is that true, so Users like me get bad services/products :(

Well, OVH does 16 - 32GB boxes for dirt cheap. I'm hoping multicraft has some way to ban known, bad, plugins. Most of the problems with minecraft isn't the people making TNT mountains, it's the really really really poorly written plugins.

@dmmcintyre3 has done his share of work in minecraft and I'm sure he can attest to that.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Well, OVH does 16 - 32GB boxes for dirt cheap. I'm hoping multicraft has some way to ban known, bad, plugins. Most of the problems with minecraft isn't the people making TNT mountains, it's the really really really poorly written plugins.

COUGH LWC COUGH

That causes pretty much lag in 95% of cases.

• @Daniel said: I coded my panel to automate plugins too. :P

Well but that will require you to 1. Set up your panel for the specific plugins and 2. have to update it every time something in the configuration file changes.

This is only doable for maybe the 10-20 most famous plugins.

@martip07 said: Of course, but its a good idea ask for an extra money? like a support package for all that help?

That sounds like a good idea, however you will have to find someone who wants to deal with all these kids.

• @gsrdgrdghd ya that its one of teh big problems

• @Francisco there are some C# - windows projects about minecraft, about their plugins, ya its better work with it than java :P in my opinion