Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BananaPI dosen't boot...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BananaPI dosen't boot...

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hey,

Today i got my BananaPI, i took the SDCard from my RaspberryPI which was/is working, so i flashed with Win32DiskImager, with an image from Lemaker.org (Raspberian for BananaPI).

After i plugged in the SDCard, i just see a Red and a Green LED shine, but thats all, no picture on HDMI or AV, any ideas?

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140910/7d8evo9e.jpg

I tried 2 different operating systems, 2 different usb cables, 3 different power sources which also work with the raspberry pi.

Comments

• Do you need to do something funky to get an output.

E.g. RPi needed certain changes to boot.txt/config.txt I believe?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

RPi dont needed anything, flash the SDCard and plug it in.

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    RPi dont needed anything, flash the SDCard and plug it in.

I had to change a configuration file to get output on my rpi when I last tinkered with it?

Any devices attached?

edited September 2014

I tried with no devices, with a keyboard and a mouse. I needed to change the display configuration because of AV but after it booted. But no output is working so but the keyboard was powered.

• @Infinity580 said:
    I tried with no devices, with a keyboard and a mouse. I needed to change the display configuration because of AV but after it booted. But no output is working so but the keyboard was powered.

So it gives no output via hdmi either?

Does the system give any network output e.g can you ssh in?

edited September 2014

Yeah no output over hdmi but that network idea isnt that lemme try it thanks :D

But i dont know if openssh is installed on the template.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

AFAIK, the banana pi images need to be formatted with their software, not just with a disk imager. Mine works

I did that, from the quick start but you see it dosent boot.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Given the nature of the board I would assume it has some form of ssh?

• Maybe try finding Raspbian images with ssh pre-installed, something like this Lubuntu image?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Did you try turning it off, then back on again?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Try UART?

• @MrObvious said:
    Did you try turning it off, then back on again?

<3 Made my evening

• @MrObvious said:
    Did you try turning it off, then back on again?

Name suits you, +1

Thanked by 2Mark_R netomx
    edited September 2014

Not even the USB mouse gets powered, so it dosent get detected basically the thing isnt booting.

@MrObvious ..................

• Connect to it via serial and check the console output

• Yeah, connect to the UART port with a serial adapter.

edited September 2014

That cables are still shipping and it takes up to 4 weeks, so no and i dont have the rest equipment for that. Only thing would be return it to sender... wait a week for replacement fuck this.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Infinity580 said:
    That cables are still shipping and it takes up to 4 weeks, so no and i dont have the rest equipment for that. Only thing would be return it to sender... wait a week for replacement fuck this.

Shit happens. A weeks wait won't kill you.

• Stupid question, but have you tried pressing the boot key (or press and hold the reset key)? Although it should auto boot once you plug it in, but green light should be flashing once you boot it and not be constantly on.

Also, I'd try another SD card

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Infinity580 said: That cables are still shipping and it takes up to 4 weeks, so no and i dont have the rest equipment for that

Just get one from Amazon, it costs just 5 bucks and will arrive tomorrow: http://www.amazon.de/PL2303HX-RS232-Cable-module-Converter/dp/B00AU00BWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410433297&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+uart

• It's normal serial interface with 3.3V levels, right? You can probably corss connect it to one of your Raspberry Pis and run minicom there (after disabling the getty on the serial interface).
    Though with the USB converter it would be easier.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Or you can use an Arduino, they also have inbuild serial converters

Thanked by 1netomx

@trewq i will die 4 times until the replacement PI is here.

@vedran before i send it tomorrow back, i gonna buy today a second SD Card yeah i dont have 2 of them and try it and yes i pressed the button :D

@rds100 Thanks but i am paranoid, in the worst case it will take my PI with it so no but thanks

@gsrdgrdghd I will try this if the second SD is not working, sadly they told me i am the person in the 1000 which have issues with it, so Shit happends or the SD Card dosent like the PI.

I got the new SDCard, now the green light flashes and the red shine as before.

Any idea?

edited September 2014

It worked now finally, i was to fixed on the AV Output, HDMI is working but AV dosent with booth new SD Cards YAY. Must be something software related i hope so.

But the HDMI resolution is to high dang it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Infinity580 glad its sorted!

• I think your Banana Pi does boot. But output over AV doesn't work. It's the other way round for me: I can't use HDMI with my monitor. I googled a bit and it looks like the video drivers are buggy as hell. Might send it back :(

• @trexos said:
    I think your Banana Pi does boot. But output over AV doesn't work. It's the other way round for me: I can't use HDMI with my monitor. I googled a bit and it looks like the video drivers are buggy as hell. Might send it back :(

I was thinking of getting one but may wait a while.

• Happy with my pi model b+. It's a shame the banana pi isn't the same price, I'd get one then.