Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server

Comments

• @Symlink said:
    Shame you removed that. I liked the colourful language. Made for a nice change from your usual "in character" language.

If you PayPal me $10 I'll write a new 2-3 sentence post in this thread with one 'disgruntled curse word' of your choice!

Thanked by 2AlexanderM Mark_R
  • @HostNun said:
    If you PayPal me $10 I'll write a new 2-3 sentence post in this thread with one 'disgruntled curse word' of your choice!

PayPal Address?

Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
  • HostNunHostNun Member
    edited September 2014

@ATHK said:
    Hahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahaha

I'm sure Op knows what he's doing Jon, can you access the IPMI console?

I'm not much of a tech guy (nor do I always have time for it, although I like to learn as I go) and was not familiar with IPMI, which is why I hire 3rd party techs who know what they're doing... and they still couldn't access the console tonight. Mind you, September 7th was the first time we were given IPMI access at all (the ad on WHT said "FREE SuperMicro IPMI/KVM" so I don't really understand why it wasn't available until then). Tech was able to login to the limited IPMI account, but said "Grub is missing in the server". At that point they wanted to mount another OS image and access the server via rescue mode to correct the grub entries, but couldn't do that because the IPMI account we were given doesn't have admin privs.

Tech tried again tonight, still couldn't connect to the console. I tried to do a 'Unit Reset' under the 'Maintenance' tab a few minutes ago and...

@jnguyen said:
    If it is found that there is something missing on your end or if you are doing something wrong, which is likely (as HVH techs have determined that IPMI was always working), your refund decision would be reversed.

Uh, what? I ordered the server on August 24th and was given IPMI credentials on September 7th for the first time. Now, two days later, you're telling me that "HVH techs have determined that IPMI was always working"? What does 'always working' mean to you in this context? You're saying that if it's determined to have been working since the 7th (i.e. ~2 weeks late) I won't get a refund? #Praying4HanlonsRazor

• This is truly showing how pathetic Jon really is.

Thanks for the update @HostNun keep em' coming, especially if you don't get that refund due to a "always working IPMI" ..... :)

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited September 2014

I am also going to agree with most of the functions in the IPMI not being accessible as I have a current service, as well as it being delivered a little later (not too late).

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited September 2014

The IPMI thing is beside the point anyway. The initial problem was that the root password provided in the welcome email didn't work. Somehow we ended up in IPMI land a few days later after a string of vague support responses...

@ATHK I think he's doing his best. A lot of it seems to be due to delayed communication down the reseller chain, although the whole situation has been a bit bewildering to say the least.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

That escalated quickly :) ...

@HostNun did you found what you are looking for?

• @time4vps ugh, this is exactly what I didn't want to happen in this thread too (and no, not yet...)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @HostNun said:
    time4vps ugh, this is exactly what I didn't want to happen in this thread too (and no, not yet...)

Sorry.

• HostNun said: If you PayPal me $10 I'll write a new 2-3 sentence post in this thread with one 'disgruntled curse word' of your choice!

This is LET. All souls must be $7 or less.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @wych said:
    Sorry.

eh, whatever, it's LET... if I don't experience appropriate qualia of malicious glee from provoking Jon into unnecessary public confrontations, it's probably my fault.

@Symlink said:
    This is LET. All souls must be $7 or less.

a girl can dream

Thanked by 2netomx Mark_R
  • DarioXDarioX Member
    edited September 2014

I don't mean to be rude, but please tell me: WHAT THE HELL DID YOU EXPECT FROM GVH?!?!?

Just by reading the posts here on LET, I would never ever ever buy something from them. I wouldn't even take it if it was free.

At the end of the day it is your fault, sorry to say that.
    Maybe it's really time that the admins take some actions against GVH, it is really going too far now...

• DarioX said: WHAT THE HELL DID YOU EXPECT FROM GVH?!?!?

It might be GVH but their dedicated server offering is provided by HudsonValleyHost a.k.a ColoCrossing so you should expect a reasonably good level of service.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @DarioX said:
    Maybe it's really time that the admins take some actions against GVH, it is really going too far now...

Nah, GVH with the 4500 active customers of is a good source of income for ColoCrossing as the upstream who also owns this forum.

• @sambling said:
    It might be GVH but their dedicated server offering is provided by HudsonValleyHost a.k.a ColoCrossing so you should expect a reasonably good level of service.

yeah, this ^^^

@DarioX I agree with you for the most part, however most of the ongoing problems w/ GVH seem to stem from their own mismanagement. I sincerely thought it might not be too difficult for them to resell an unmanaged dedicated server from HVH/CC.

• HostNun said: resell an unmanaged dedicated server from HVH/CC.

if i remember correctly HVH was very popular (in a bad way) months back, I'm too lazy to dig back old threads

• @namhuy said:
    if i remember correctly HVH was very popular (in a bad way) months back, I'm too lazy to dig back old threads

Would you do it for a scooby snack?

As for Hudsonvalleyhost had a windows vps with them, didn't have a problem. Good support.

• @wych wow, looks like I owe you two scooby snacks =/

Thanks for the information.

• GreenValueHost has absolutely no control over our dedicated server hosting offerings' technical support, unless your server is managed and we are diagnosing a software-related issue for you.

In almost all situations, such as this one, we are simply acting as a middleman and are forwarding responses back and forth between the upstream and our customer.

Your IPMI ticket is still open at HVH, they are claiming that it is working without issue. I requested the exact steps to replicate it from them, and have not received a response overnight. We're still waiting for a response.

I apologize, again we have no control and are simply working as a middleman in this situation, forwarding responses back and forth.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • Again, the situation was completely out of our control. Obviously we're trying to do all we can to help you but we're not NOC technicians so all we can do is try to rush this to completion for you.

• Let it go Jon, I think HostNun moved on. Also, one of the most important reasons to buy from a particular host is support. When shit hits the fan, you want to know that someone knowledgeable will help you in a timely manner. To advertise dedicated servers (clients that are paying a lot more than your VPS clients and probably clients that want a lot more reliability) and have no control over support is probably something that you should fix.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • This situation is very, very rare. We have never seen something screw up like this, this badly - Honestly I/we have absolutely no idea what's going on. I believe you that your server root password didn't initially work, which is why I'm trying to get this fixed for you.

We can't diagnose IPMI, however we're being told it's working. I responded to the ticket, still waiting for a response, I can't do anything further. Please trust me on this one that we're doing all we can .. and I don't know how you can put the blame on us when we are not NOC technicians that had absolutely no part in setting up your server, the IPMI, nothing -- We've simply been acting as a support middleman forwarding responses back and forth and are doing all we can.

Thanked by 1MSPNick
  • Jon if you see this thread it's TID #625326

• @jnguyen said:
    Jon if you see this thread it's TID #625326

?

Thanked by 2netomx linuxthefish
  • wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

@jnguyen said:
    Jon if you see this thread it's TID #625326

Are you guys account sharing?

how you can put the blame on us

Because he pays you.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2014

@0xdragon said:
    ?

Obviously more than one person uses his account, AWESOME! ... NOT...

• FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GVH'S ACCOUNT ON LET IS BEING USED BY HVH WHO ARE OWNED BY COLOCROSSING. THIS CONFIRMS THEY ARE LINKED.

REGARDS,
    SENIOR INTERNET USER

/joke

• Also feel free to flag it (I know you love clicking the shit outta that little flag), I'm not sure but isn't account sharing against the rules? If not it should be... If proven of course.

• No I'm not account sharing. I meant to tag @jbiloh in case he happened to click on this thread and wanted to know what the ticket ID was. Ernie is on vacation all this week, so I don't really have any direct means of contacting any management (without picking up the phone, which I am refraining from doing)