Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHOIS RECORD AT LET
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHOIS RECORD AT LET

RandyRandy Member
edited June 2012 in General

Hello people,

i know it may sound silly, but i want to post my offer on LET. put it requires to me post my public address , which ovbiously i dont have my own office. i know i can put my home address but i dont live alone.
i am certainly not a fruad or what so ever. is there any way i can PM admin to sent the details over?

i dont want some random asshole putting up flames at my door step and burn me to death when i was sleeping

Comments

• I use my home address on my WHOIS, I haven't had a random asshole burn me in flames (yet).

Thanked by 2jcaleb TheHackBox
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

well , i have no issues with posting it, it just that i dont live alone. its my family that i am worried about.

• get a po box.

• nabonabo Member

@Randy said: i am certainly not a fruad or what so ever. is there any way i can PM admin to sent the details over?

Well, I'd say to each his own. If you allow your clients to stay anonymous...

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Buy a PO box or mailing address. There not (Or they shouldn't) let you bypass the rule.

Im sure a scam artist wouldn't say can i have my WHOIS private because im going to scam people.

No offense intended, but i hope you see my point.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I have my personal phone number and home address on all of my WHOIS, currently ~10-15 domains. Dont really think anyone would bother setting you on fire... However someone might show up at your doorstep and beat the crap out of you ://

• nabonabo Member

@LiquidHost said: However someone might show up at your doorstep and beat the crap out of you

If someone runs away with my money without providing the agreed service, I guess that's quite justified.

• RandyRandy Member

@nabo said: f someone runs away with my money without providing the agreed service, I guess that's quite justified.

well that wont happen, even IF my business fail, i will make sure i will refund their money

• nabonabo Member

@Randy said: well that wont happen, even IF my business fail, i will make sure i will refund their money

Maybe. But that 'insurance' are just pixels on my screen. Not that I say you will try to deceit customers. I'm just drawing the attention to the fact I guess you want your customers to not be anonymous, provide real fund and do a payment in advance. I guess you should give them some security. ;-)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Randy said: even IF my business fail, i will make sure i will refund their money

Good intentions are hard to follow through with a business failure. If you had the money to refund, you would not have failed, you would have paid the bills, now you no longer have the money, see, such a catch-22.

Anyway, with the home address bit, I've used my home address for the past 6 years, all that has happened because of it is a support phone call now and then and baked goods (cookies!) arriving during the holiday season.

• RandyRandy Member

i do have money i just dont have much customers! i have prepaid service for a year.

• @miTgiB said: baked goods (cookies!) arriving during the holiday season.

nom!

@Randy, I've had my home address listed on most of my domains for over 7 years (since I was 12, at least). Needless to say I lived with my family at that time - dad, sister, and brother. The worst thing I've gotten in all my years of pissing people off? Spam "OMG PAY US $80 TO RENEW YOUR [search engine] DOMAIN REGISTRATION! [*Will not renew your domain.]"

Thanked by 1klikli
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

how about just PM your offer to those interested?

• @Randy said: i have prepaid service for a year.

We hear that all the time as well.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited June 2012

well. i certainly can hold up. i am just saying IF. as @nabo said they might come my hoiuse if i didnt provide them service and for their money. i hope you know what i mean , get my point

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Randy said: might come my hoiuse if i didnt provide them service

Easy to solve that one, just provide the service

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Back away from the cookies!

• RandyRandy Member

@miTgiB said: Easy to solve that one, just provide the service

yes. i will :)

• If you have the cash to pay upfront for a year on a decent dedicated server then you should have the money for a POBox, problem solved.

• Depending on your country it might be illegal to just write the address of a PO box in the whois record/legal imprint. Maybe you should consult a lawyer about this before starting a company (which you should do anyway).

Also when you do an offer, please don't make the title all caps ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Who cares about anonymous whois? Frankly I think it's a silly rule. Whois is not checked to be accurate and unless it's a big company, it's some guy's house or a PO box. So what does that prove? That he has a house or apartment? May not even be his.

• RandyRandy Member

@raindog308 said: Who cares about anonymous whois? Frankly I think it's a silly rule. Whois is not checked to be accurate and unless it's a big company, it's some guy's house or a PO box. So what does that prove? That he has a house or apartment? May not even be his.

you have a point. but its not gonna be on my domain

Thanked by 1klikli
  • LESLES Member

@raindog308 said: Who cares about anonymous whois?

Yes, there are serveral ways to hide (ex: The Constantinos Coudounaris Trick)

• @GetKVM-Ash said: have the money for a POBox, problem solved.

a POBox gives you absolutely 0% Extra protection. All they need to do is a simple search for the real address. aswell as post offices

• @DanielM said: a POBox gives you absolutely 0% Extra protection. All they need to do is a simple search for the real address. aswell as post offices

Not everybody will know that and it cuts SPAM down :P

• RandyRandy Member

some providers just rent space and use it as a address but the fact is no one works at the orddress

• IvraatiemsIvraatiems Member
    edited June 2012

You could just go the route that some respected providers (like ChicagoVPS and BuyVM) have gone, and put down your home address - at least, that seems to be what they have; I could be wrong but that's what it looks like.

Part of running a responsible, honest business is having an address that you can be traced to. It's not that it's a huge guarantee of anything, but it says "I stand behind my products and am not afraid to put my name out there in conjunction with this business." To my knowledge, nobody has attempted to murder Francisco or Chris in their sleep :P

• RandyRandy Member

i will kill fran and chirs today? :) that will make a history? what about unhappy customers? :(

• nabonabo Member

@Randy said: what about unhappy customers? :(

So this thread will go on for pages. People suggest you to put in either a PO-box or your private address. You answer that you don't want but ask for more input. People tell you to use a PO-box or your private address. But you don't want but ask for more input. People tell you to use a PO-box or your private address. But you don't want but ask for more input. People tell you to use a PO-box or your private address. But you don't want but ask for more input. People tell you to use a PO-box or your private address. But you don't want but ask for more input.

In the end it's up to you. If you want to be anonymous, let your customers be anonymous and everybody will be fine.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There is no free solution here.

This discussion has been closed.