Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Windows 7 or 8.1 environment VPS, I have product keys
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Windows 7 or 8.1 environment VPS, I have product keys

JOptionPaneJOptionPane Member
edited August 2014 in General

Hello there,

I have an Android simulator(BlueStacks) to run 24/7, and another program which only works properly on Windows 7 or Windows 8. So Windows 2008 or Windows 2012 cannot help.

My app is CPU consuming and I think it needs 1GB of the ram. One example is I have a Windows 7 running in VMwrae Workstation, it has one virtual core(i7-4500u) and 2GB ram, the simulator will keep CPU 100% all the time and 1.5GB of the ram is used.

I have no experience on VPS, but I did some work, I know Windows VPS usually expensive so better choice is to install your own OS, and OpenVZ can't handle Windows.

Some posts that running VirtualBox or VMware in Linux is a solution, but my concern is in that case the performance of guest will be a disaster.

Conclusion:

1.Bandwidth doesn't matter.

2.High CPU usage(single core)

3.About 2GB ram.

4.20GB HDD will be enough.

5.Cheap(of couse...)

I tried VPSdime and failed installing VMware due to the kernel problem, BTW, virtual OS in another virtual environment seems not a good idea...

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• said: I tried VPSdime and failed installing VMware due to the kernel problem, BTW, virtual OS in another virtual environment seems not a good idea...

Because it's OpenVZ by chance?

• @eddynetweb said:

Yes, that's why it didn't work on vpsdime.

@OP you just need any KVM / XEN provider. They should be able to Atlest mount the windows install disk for you if they don't have a template.

• @drserver might have an offer for you

Thanked by 1drserver
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2014

http://sugarvps.com/#plan2 for USA

If you want Europe, I know you can install Windows 2008/2012 on Vultr but I'm not sure about Windows 7/8

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Hi, as i am aware you are not allowed to run desktop OS on VPS server. But i can be wrong here.

• I can offer you something for 7$ a month message me

• @drserver said:
    Hi, as i am aware you are not allowed to run desktop OS on VPS server. But i can be wrong here.

You can install Ubuntu desktop on any OpenVZ vps. But I think what he wants is a widows vps to run blustacks on and have remote access. http://www.bluestacks.com/

• @PcJamesy said:
    You can install Ubuntu desktop on any OpenVZ vps. But I think what he wants is a widows vps to run blustacks on and have remote access. http://www.bluestacks.com/

I think his reply implies a Windows desktop OS and not just any OS

• @eddynetweb said:

I am not sure, neither VMware nor VirtualBox throws me kernel error

• @drserver said:

Even I have a product key?

• @PcJamesy said:

You are right, only Windows desktop versions

• @nexmark said:
    I can offer you something for 7$ a month message me

PMed but no reply...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

No provider is allowed to run Windows 7/8/9/ on a VPS. You can only run windows server editions, properly licensed.

• @AlexBarakov said:
    No provider is allowed to run Windows 7/8/9/ on a VPS. You can only run windows server editions, properly licensed.

That's why we haven't offered @op anything. However, this is LowEndTalk; and someone will.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • @GoodHosting said:
    That's why we haven't offered op anything. However, this is LowEndTalk; and someone will.

I offered @JOptionPane a solution, I can run almost anything with a ISO pretty much

• @nexmark said:
    I offered JOptionPane a solution, I can run almost anything with a ISO pretty much

I think their point is that it's against Microsoft's ToS to run a desktop OS.

OP I'll try install Win7/8 with Vultr tomorrow and let you know if it works

• @hostnoob said:

Thank you! As far as I know, there exist companies that offering Windows 7 hosting(like Serverpoint)
    Waiting for your good news!

• You seem to be needing a dedicated server...
    Or maybe abusivecores?

Thanked by 1drserver
  • @TriDoxiuM said:
    You seem to be needing a dedicated server...
    Or maybe abusivecores?

dedicated exceed my budged.
    BTW, Singaporean? ;)

• @JOptionPane said:

Yeah

• haha, I have stayed in Singapore for 1 year. Wonderful place.

• JOptionPane said: companies that offering Windows 7 hosting(like Serverpoint)

They might have special agreement with Microsoft, otherwise it's against the MS SPLA.

As long as the VM is a fully virtualized instance, there's no issue doing that technically. The only thing is MS doesn't allow it from the licensing perspective.

• hostnoob said: I think their point is that it's against Microsoft's ToS to run a desktop OS.

Stupid policy if you ask me, As Long as the license has been paid for and is legitimate, I don't see the problem why it isn't allowed.

• @JOptionPane said:

Windows 7 works fine on Vultr, you just need to integrate the VirtIO drivers into the ISO

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/560033/#Comment_560033

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Windows 7 = Windows 2008

Windows 8 = Windows 2012

• emgemg Veteran
    edited August 2014

If bandwidth doesn't matter, can you run it from home? Open the necessary ports in your router and use dynamic DNS. Run it on an old computer or in a virtual machine if your regular computer can handle the processor load.

What do you think?