Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too Funny - Customer Tries to Scam RamNode, Gets Caught
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Too Funny - Customer Tries to Scam RamNode, Gets Caught

See: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1406153

... Especially the response in Post #20 on page 2.

Major kudos to Nick. I fell out of my chair laughing. If we ever meet in person, I'm buying the beers.

Comments

• And this is why the customer isn't always right. Scumbags everywhere.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Haha, that's awesome. The fact that the guy hasn't responded at all after Nick posted the evidence says it all.

Thanked by 2netomx Nick_A
  • nicely dealt with.

• Yeah, one time some guy found a hidden, discontinued product by enumerating the ids and posted it on his site as a unique offer :)

Thanked by 1perennate
  • edited August 2014

I saw that a few days ago as well, definitely a good read. Nicely handled by Nick

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Kudos to Ramnode :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The scoreboard reads:

Nick 1

Douchebag 0

Good riddance I say. I whmcs ID hunt sometimes, it's fun, but I'm not dishonest :P

Thanked by 3netomx Nick_A johnlth93
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks guys. Still smh over it all.

Thanked by 1jar
  • did him died? :P

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited August 2014

is the scanning for ID's patched yet? you'd think that the billing system auto blocks people that make a unreal amounts of weird requests.

If you look at the timestamps, it appears he did it manually, too.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Nick_A said:

If you look at the timestamps, it appears he did it manually, too.

He got destroyed there, well done. If anyone was to provide a review for Ramnode I could actually fight for the cause seen as I have well over 6 VPS from yourself in every location apart from Atlanta, I've had NO bother from yourselves, 24 tickets or so, all have been solved. What more could anyone want?! I think it's quite bold from what I've read to even offer to let him keep them and refund him the other server even though you're not obliged to do so whatsoever.

Note, out of about 70 companies (give-or-take) within the last 8years I have to say you're one of the, if not the best I've had dealings with.

Thanked by 1Nick_A

Well, he didn't actually get the free stuff. It didn't point to anything in SolusVM - just placeholders in WHMCS. That's was part of my confusion when he vaguely demanded a refund. Like I said - the only mistake was not terminating his account on sight. I guess you all benefited from some fun popcorn reading though :)

• @Nick_A said:
    Well, he didn't actually get the free stuff. It didn't point to anything in SolusVM - just placeholders in WHMCS. That's was part of my confusion when he vaguely demanded a refund. Like I said - the only mistake was not terminating his account on sight. I guess you all benefited from some fun popcorn reading though :)

Gave me a kick when I got into the spicy stuff on the 2nd page! Ah, that log though... Manually doing all of those ID's ouch I mean I'm a bargain hunter and all but that's taking it to a whole new level. Wish more people did this just for the thrill of watching them be proven wrong, think it gives some people a wakeup call to the whole idea that they're not always right!

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • LOL he stopped replying after Nick posted the logs

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@Nick_A said:

I was glad to see that you were able to produce the logs that concisely refuted everything he was saying -- great outcome! My sympathies for having to deal with that situation in the first place -- it can be such an epic waste of time when a customer decides air their unfounded frustrations on a public forum.

• ehabehab Member

This is the one of the very first complaints make a provider shines. respect to nick.

• Dammit I got in too late, where's the popcorn?

Troll aside, I had stopped using RamNode for quite some times but it isn't because anything wrong with them just that I moved on to other hosts and more on dedicated servers instead.

The time I being with them was great, can't recall any issue with them.

• @Nick_A A search on google reveals some chinese user has posted the TESTKVM link online at http://www.vpsmm.com/blog/ramnode-com-august-offer/

Well, you can't actually get anything by ordering it (even when I accidentally left stock open before), so that's just silly on their part.

edited August 2014

Alright, I'm going to say one thing here that won't be popular, and I would hope anyone who knows me even a little would know this is not at all personal. I do not compete with RamNode, I think Nick is one of the most well grounded and mature individuals, this is purely taken from my ability to completely remove my feelings and friendships from a situation and observe it from a completely neutral position.

I believe it was not only appropriate that the ticket was opened, but important that it was. I believe that this reply was arguably inappropriate at the time based on the context of the ticket given alone:

I will have to suspend your account unless we hear back from you today.

It should have read:

These were not intended for order and it was my mistake for leaving them in an accessible state. I would like to know how you found them as it allows me to fully understand the situation at hand. I cannot honor these as they were not intentionally left available for order. I will be canceling these orders. I apologize for my mistake in leaving these available, and if you could let me know how you found them I would credit your account $1 for the information.

The reason? It is not against any policy that I am aware of to guess product IDs. They can only find information you have left alive. Yes, many of us may have left things live that we did not intend to, but yes we are also all responsible for it if we have done so.

I agree with your decision in the end Nick, but I do not agree with your lack of hesitation in jumping to the action of threatening to suspend services when you have to admit partial fault for the orders existing in the first place.

I say this as someone who makes mistakes at least as often as I wake up in the morning. I say this here and now with no personal feeling and purely observation of the events. I say it in public because I'm not a very private person and this is where the conversation is.

You could be my own mother and I'd tell you if I thought you were wrong. It's just who I am. I believe you were almost entirely right, but I believe you could have handled one detail better.

Not really. Everything he said was a charade from the start. The problem was not that he tried to get those plans but how he tried to evade the truth when politely and professionally questioned.

Also, lack of hesitation? Check the timestamps on those ticket replies.

Thanked by 1jar

I won't argue but I feel better having said it, you're good people regardless and no one should ever hesitate to host everything they have with RamNode.

• khavkhav Member

@Nick_A you nailed it :)

Completely destroyed this fraud .......Ramnode FTW as always

1+ year and still very satisfied with your service , have referred to friends. I literally use ramnode for anything that don't require dedicated server

• WHT seems down (again).

• @mpkossen said:
    WHT seems down (again).

Wait, I'm sorry. I'm probably trying to visit it outside of their opening hours. I'll try again at 9AM PST.

• @mpkossen said:
    Wait, I'm sorry. I'm probably trying to visit it outside of their opening hours. I'll try again at 9AM PST.

It's currently 11:42PM PST (my timezone too) and WHT worked for me, it was a bit slow on loading the page, may have been server side, may have been my awful internet connection. Either way, it was up.

• Wow, he couldn't just leave it at the fact that he tried to exploit their system. No... Instead he had to make a fake negative review. What a douche.

• I ordered a LED for $20 from a website who posted by mistake, they cancelled my order however :(

Didn't bitch about it though, even when I frikkin paid.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

@mpkossen said:

People who live in glass houses, etc., etc.

I know you're just trying to make a funny but come on, LET is not exactly a beacon of uptime. Way more issues here than at WHT in my personal experience.