Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

that "one" node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

that "one" node

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited May 2012 in General

Who here has a server that seems to fail every few weeks.

you have replaced nearly everything in it and it still have the sake problem

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@bijan588 said: you have replaced nearly everything in it and it still have the sake problem

It's so bad it drives you to drink rice wine?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bijan588 said: Who here has a server that seems to fail every few weeks.

do you got a copy of the panic/crash? netconsole maybe?

We have a central syslog server just because we got tired of not being able to debug 2.6.32 :P

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Did you try kicking it? I still refer back to the first computer I fixed by kicking it.
    Pentium 75MHz
    32MB RAM
    500MB HD

Wouldn't boot. Replaced power supply, memory, cpu, still nothing. Let it sit for a week, kicked it once a day, never failed again. I know not everyone is as technical as me.

• Checked CPU? What kernel you running on.

• DerekDerek Member

@jarland said: kicked it once a day

Kick more computers! Exercise :P

• @Francisco said: do you got a copy of the panic/crash? netconsole maybe?

Thats the thing, no errors, it just shuts off, and I have replaced everything I can think of.

• subigosubigo Member

@bijan588 said: Thats the thing, no errors, it just shuts off, and I have replaced everything I can think of.

Power source.

• No, its on the same PDU as everything else, it has redundant power suplies too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@bijan588 said: No, its on the same PDU as everything else,

ghosts?

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@bijan588 said: No, its on the same PDU as everything else, it has redundant power suplies too.

Over heating?

• @miTgiB said: Over heating?

Thats what I thought to, but the ILO stays on and mesures all the temputures, I doubt 25C is overheating.

• There has to be SOME kind of log SOMEWHERE of what is happening.

• RandyRandy Member

its time to force the provider, to build you a new server. i hope that fixes it? :P

• @Randy said: its time to force the provider, to build you a new server. i hope that fixes it? :P

I own the server

@PytoHost said: There has to be SOME kind of log SOMEWHERE of what is happening.

According to ILO, it just powers down

• yomeroyomero Member

Mobo...
    Probably some capacitors/VRMs whatever components.

• AmitzAmitz Member

With my servers, it's always the flux capacitor that causes problems...

Thanked by 1DimeCadmium
  • @bijan588 said: Who here has a server that seems to fail every few weeks.
    you have replaced nearly everything in it and it still have the sake problem

If it's a business machine, it makes sense to replace it. Think about the lost revenue/customer respect :).

Every time I've had one of these nodes though, it's turned out to be bad RAM. It takes 2 weeks with memtest to show the bad locations sometimes, but they're there.

• iLO updated?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Amitz said: With my servers, it's always the flux capacitor that causes problems...

Could be mynocks chewing on the power cables.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • It is prob the mobo. My old laptop that I had would just randomly turn off, and it was the mobo. Good thing it was still under apple warranty!

• Sounds like a mobo problem, get your DC to rebuild it if it's rented, if it's owned, send them a new mobo.

Failing that, just build a new server.

And yeah, I get what you mean, there's always "one" problem. Nothing is ever "T-Perfect".

• I know this is going to sound stupid, but have you check the bios settings and also does your server has a watchdog timer.

On my first server build up this caused me a lot of headaches.