Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solaris Zones/Containers VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solaris Zones/Containers VPS

2»

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

I was thinking about providing VMs for legacy apps written for Sparc systems and creating some playground for youth :) it's good to have some basic unix knowledge. I'll take a look on OpenIndiana.

• nabonabo Member

@KuJoe said: Thanks but I need Solaris. :(

There are quite a few forks: http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/About+illumos

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

@nabo said: There are quite a few forks

Thanks. When I was looking last month all of the forks were either not released yet (non-stable versions) or not updated in years.

• nabonabo Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: When I was looking last month all of the forks were either not released yet (non-stable versions) or not updated in years.

That might be true. I guess some of them realized that their fork might be of interest now. The only one I had a look at is OmniOS, and they seem to be quite active with it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@nabo said: I had a look at is OmniOS

Bookmarked! Thanks! :)

Just got an offer for Sun Fire 4810 8 x UltraSparc III 1,2 GHz, 32GB RAM + Sun StorEdge 6020 14 x 36GB 15k for 600USD what do you think?

• rds100rds100 Member

@gbshouse how much electricity does this thing burn?

@rds100 - a lot :) 1750W each (5250W total) but the cool thing is that the server can be extended up to 12CPUs and 96GB of RAM

• rds100rds100 Member

@gbshouse that's what i thought :) So coloing this is... not practical :)

@rds100 - some providers offer flat fee for 10A or even 16A, for this beast you need 2 * 16A and 30U in rack

• Sorry to necro old thread, but with current state of illumos this seems interesting again.

So any LEB provider doing SmartOS/OmniOS/OpenIndiana?

• OpenIndiana works pretty well on KVM (Using OpenNebula with GoodHosting).

• We have a few customers playing with these Solaris derivatives on blade servers.

• NickMNXioNickMNXio Member, Host Rep

@bigcat said:
    Sorry to necro old thread, but with current state of illumos this seems interesting again.

So any LEB provider doing SmartOS/OmniOS/OpenIndiana?

necro apologies..

Yes, we've recently released a public beta that allows you to deploy SmartOS instances..