Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspi: For what do you use it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspi: For what do you use it?

2»

Comments

• wroxwrox Member

I personally use mine as a music box together with a USB sound card for better audio quality than the onboard sound.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

I got one running rsnapshot, dns and httpd and another one with XBMC in the car...

• They can make great door stops.

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@trewq said:
    He already answered what he does but just for the record nexmo is an awesome SMS and voice provider. They have numbers all over the world and their rates are fairly competitive with a very full API.

I am a ignorant fool, I've never crossed with it. Super cheap, and mega easy to use, in 5 minutes I'm sending SMS and voice calls. Thanks!

• wdqwdq Member

I use mine as a weather dashboard. It's connected to an indoor and outdoor sensor, as well as a few weather APIs. Every five minutes I update a Mongo collection on another server with the most up to date information.

On another server I also have all sorts of different graphs, charts, and pages to visualize the current and past data.

Thanked by 1souen

@wdq said:
    I use mine as a weather dashboard. It's connected to an indoor and outdoor sensor, as well as a few weather APIs. Every five minutes I update a Mongo collection on another server with the most up to date information.

On another server I also have all sorts of different graphs, charts, and pages to visualize the current and past data.

Neat!

• @Raymii said:

dafuq? owncloud is so unstable

• Awesome stuff guys, keep it up!

• Deluge for torrent + Samba for file sharing + minidlna for streaming with a physical "Do Not Touch" paper.......... but still, people still loves to see what it is and take it so I ended up adding a vibration sensor and buzzer so the buzzer buzzes when someone moves it ;)

@netomx said:
    1 of them: PIR sensor for detecting intruders, and will play music if no one's home (so ppl may think there's people in the house). It also serves a Teeworld's server, and will control lights.

the other one is with William

The final one is a VPN server from my home connection

how do you detect if there's nobody? I'm still wondering of what to do with my PIR sensor

• @netomx said:
    I am a ignorant fool, I've never crossed with it. Super cheap, and mega easy to use, in 5 minutes I'm sending SMS and voice calls. Thanks!

not to mention that you don't need to buy the gsm module, and a sim card for it which makes it even more cost effective ;)

• is this raspi good for anything? I think a simple lowend vps beat the performance. Or not?

• @ZweiTiger said:
    is this raspi good for anything? I think a simple lowend vps beat the performance. Or not?

um?? its a frgin killa machine, you usally buy a lowend VPS from external provider via WWW and you don't have some crazy virtualization @home going on.
    with 3,5watt (normal) till 5watt max (with external hub etc) its not much power costs..

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

I use mine to control my other computers in the house, it uses Wake & Sleep on LAN to wake up my home NAS from the web where ever I happen to be, and allows me to put it to sleep again once I'm done with it.

@wcypierre said:
    not to mention that you don't need to buy the gsm module, and a sim card for it which makes it even more cost effective ;)

I was using innovativetxt and twilio before that

• @netomx said:
    1 of them: PIR sensor for detecting intruders, and will play music if no one's home (so ppl may think there's people in the house). It also serves a Teeworld's server, and will control lights.

the other one is with William

The final one is a VPN server from my home connection

how do you detect if there's nobody? I'm still wondering of what to do with my PIR sensor

• @ZweiTiger said: is this raspi good for anything? I think a simple lowend vps beat the performance. Or not?

The GPIO pins are cool for home automation 8)