Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Cloud Platform should we use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Cloud Platform should we use?

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited August 2014 in General

Hello Let,
I was wondering what Cloud Platforms in Terms of Software would people recommend, We are planning to roll out our new Cloud Platform around early 2015 this will contain KVM virtualized Containers.

I have looked at OnApp and Openstack and considering developing our own inhouse Cloud Platform but I think OpenStack will be our last resort if all else fails.
So I guess my question for you is what would you recommend and why, Or what have you had good experiences or good knowledge of working with?

And of course any Suggestions go ahead.

Comments

• "Vitalized" hehe

• @0xdragon Thanks Just corrected it, had some issues posting as cloudflare kept giving me 404's for some reason.

• dont forget cloudstack

• Yeah I looked at Cloudstack too.

• I think you're better off going with an established solution than rolling your own. Developing and managing such a project to it's full potential would likely be an enormous expense in terms of time and money.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @Microlinux said:
    I think you're better off going with an established solution than rolling your own. Developing and managing such a project to it's full potential would likely be an enormous expense in terms of time and money.

I agree, I am considering going with a Open source solution and then adding some of our own custom features. just finding solid a base at the moment.

• Parallels Cloud Servers :)

• I'm gonna have to vote for OnApp. I've talked to @ditlev a lot before switching and he's been very helpful. You can always start with the free version. If you want to go full version, your cost will be anywhere from $100.00/mo (via a distributor) to $500.00 (OnApp Direct or Distributor). Hardware requirements are not for everyone, but when done right, OnApp is superior.

• OpenStack

• dnwkdnwk Member

Proxmox plus HA

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    I'm gonna have to vote for OnApp. I've talked to ditlev a lot before switching and he's been very helpful. You can always start with the free version. If you want to go full version, your cost will be anywhere from $100.00/mo (via a distributor) to $500.00 (OnApp Direct or Distributor). Hardware requirements are not for everyone, but when done right, OnApp is superior.

Thanks Dalek :)
    MonsteR - happy to help. I am at [email protected], let me know :)

• we went with cloudstack (with xenserver for the nodes). its not easy to use, but is incredibly powerful. would be happy to answer any particular questions you may have.

• @ditlev said:
    MonsteR - happy to help. I am at [email protected], let me know :)

I am interested in Onapp but it's pretty expensive. Not entirely sure how it's priced but from a starting point would be a pretty high fee just for a control panel and backend.

• @MonsteR said:
    I am interested in Onapp but it's pretty expensive. Not entirely sure how it's priced but from a starting point would be a pretty high fee just for a control panel and backend.

OnApp is not a cloud platform, it sits on top of something else (they push VMWare pretty f****ing hard.) They also spam your inbox for years after you speak with them (and completely ignore requests to be removed from their spamlists.) The software itself is also pretty shoddy last I was shown the sales demo, with a complete lack of support for backups among other completely missing features.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2014

If you are looking at OpenStack and developing in house then I suggest both. Using OpenStack as the basic platform/framework which is tailor made for customizing/developing on top of. That is it's main strength.

OnApp is for people who are not price conscious and want a ready made commercially supported solution requiring minimal inhouse expertise.

You can also look at CloudStack which is a little more set up for you as compared to OpenStack but more limited and has a smaller community.

Thanked by 1MonsteR
  • InterWorx just started a bare metal cloud private beta that is meant to compete with OnApp, OpenStack, and VMWare. You should keep an eye on that.

• MonsteR said: am interested in Onapp but it's pretty expensive. Not entirely sure how it's priced but from a starting point would be a pretty high fee just for a control panel and backend.

You don't just get a control panel. They have a large development and support team that will help you if things go wrong. That's a massive plus when your starting out :)

You also know there going to be around in the future with all the investment that's been injected into them.

• Yes I'm Jealous!
  • GoodHosting said: OnApp is not a cloud platform, it sits on top of something else (they push VMWare pretty f****ing hard.) They also spam your inbox for years after you speak with them (and completely ignore requests to be removed from their spamlists.) The software itself is also pretty shoddy last I was shown the sales demo, with a complete lack of support for backups among other completely missing features.

That's not true at all.