Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspi: For what do you use it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspi: For what do you use it?

Hey,

So I guess many of you are some sick dirty raspi owners like I am myself.

For what do you use your raspis?

I'm gonna start:
1 raspi.) vpn for home & tor proxy
2 raspi .) small nas running samba
3 raspi .) my little gameboy , still doing some things but its great

cheers

Comments

• I use it as media center. Installing openelec in it. Runs perfect since day 1.

• wychwych Member

CCTV system controller.

• I use it as a Spotify client

• edited August 2014

I am using it to develop some stuff for Raspberry Pis and as a web server with PHP for testing.

One thing I developed on it is http://cpuvinf.ga/

Thanked by 1infected
  • @SandwichBagGhost said:
    I am using it to develop some stuff for Raspberry Pis and as as web server with PHP for testing.

One thing I developed on it is http://cpuvinf.ga/

That is really sexy, gonna test it .)

• Like others I'm using it as a Media Center. Started with Raspbmc, but I found it to be more sluggish than OpenELEC.

• Justin417Justin417 Member, Host Rep

Works great as an IRC Server for me.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

1 of them: PIR sensor for detecting intruders, and will play music if no one's home (so ppl may think there's people in the house). It also serves a Teeworld's server, and will control lights.

the other one is with William

The final one is a VPN server from my home connection

• infectedinfected Member
    edited August 2014

@netomx said:

the other one is with William

well will isn't hosting them now cus he got arrested^

R.I.P privacy in austria

@infected said:
    R.I.P privacy in austria

I am not doing anything illegal, so noproblems with me

• IRC Bouncer, webdev test thing, Squeezebox media server, Owncloud, Transmission Torrents, Tor node, GPIO / arduino test bed, IPv6 tunnel provider, you name it.

• @Raymii hmm thanks for the tip. I'm writing some scripts for the Arduino because I'm expecting one soon from the postman :-)

• infected said: well will isn't hosting them now cus he got arrested^

Nah, he's free. Or at least used to be free last week.

• Currently a media player (cmus) and ftp server. Going to put an IRC client (irssi), newsreader (something like Canto), bookmarker (Wallabag) and maybe a server monitor on it soon.

• I used mine to connect with skynet and aliens.

>
    >

//edit Nope dont have one sad face

• @souen said:
    Currently a media player (cmus) and ftp server. Going to put an IRC client (irssi), newsreader (something like Canto), bookmarker (Wallabag) and maybe a server monitor on it soon.

Good luck running all of that on one Pi

• rasplex

• @rmlhhd said:
    Good luck running all of that on one Pi

One of my Pi's runs Owncloud, Etherpad, Ethercalc and Ampache. 2 NodeJS apps and 2 Apache apps behind an nginx proxy, it handles them fine. Owncloud is only used for the contacts and calender though.

• ztecztec Member

Collecting dust.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • pcanpcan Member

We use some Rasperry Pi's as environement monitor and dataloggers, because it is easy to connect external sensors. It is a quick and cheap way to get non-critical measurements.

As example, this is a current plot vs. time of the current drawing from one of our main transformers.

The electrical system is the usual european WYE (Y) 230/400V, and the diagram is showing one phase. The current is listed in thousands of amps; the transformer has a nominal output of 1 MVA (about one milion watts).

The data is read from the current sensor and put in a mysql database. The RPi database is synced to the main SQL database on the datacenter. This way, if the network is temporarily disrupted the data is still collected. Abnormal data trends triggers email alerts (overcurrent and power fail).

The zoomable and responsive chart is made with highcharts.com. In this example, I selected a current spike that needs to be investigated. It is easy to see that after 18:00 PM the baseline load is slightly higher than normal: maybe someone forgot to turn off a load.

This handy tool has been developed in a couple of days and a 100 euro budget thanks to the RPi. Commercial solutions are more accurate, but way more expensive and the data collection is not so flexible.

Thanked by 2rds100 netomx
  • @pcan that's nice. What kind of current sensor do you use?

@rds100 said:
    pcan that's nice. What kind of current sensor do you use?

Yeah, I want to know, I can'tfind cheap A sensors :( I wantto make the exact thing here, we are having issues with spikes of 1200A

• pcanpcan Member

I use the yoctopuce.com sensors (the thermocouple sensor is also very good). They have an autonomous microcontroller with built-in datalogger function (a restart of the raspberry does not halt data collection), and are electrically insulated. Software support is good. On this application the current is measured trough a standard step down (300:1) current transformer with 5A AC secondary output at full scale (yocto amp goes to 10A). I basically connected the yocto-amps in series with the existing current meters.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • KihiKihi Member

I have one connected to an ADS-B receiver in order to track airplanes.

• I use my Pi to monitor my websites. If the number of my down sites less than 2, it will send alert sms, if larger than 5 sites it will call to my cell.
    I also use Pi to control electric devices like TVs, aircons... I can turn the aircons before I come home by sending it a sms.

• I use my Pi as a private lab, getting data from sensors, integration with Arduino, and used for media center as well.

NewforVPS said: I use my Pi to monitor my websites. If the number of my down sites less than 2, it will send alert sms, if larger than 5 sites it will call to my cell. I also use Pi to control electric devices like TVs, aircons... I can turn the aircons before I come home by sending it a sms.

How do you send sms's with your raspi? If you are willing to share.

• I use SIM900 module, it's a GSM module with SIM card.
    Another way is sending free sms through a website.

@Gadelhas said:
    I use my Pi as a private lab, getting data from sensors, integration with Arduino, and used for media center as well.

How do you send sms's with your raspi? If you are willing to share.

innovativetxt ? and call twilio, may be

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@netomx said:
    innovativetxt ? and call twilio, may be

He already answered what he does but just for the record nexmo is an awesome SMS and voice provider. They have numbers all over the world and their rates are fairly competitive with a very full API.

• If you live in US, you can use Google Voice, I heard it works great and best of all it's free.