Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E-mail should be working again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E-mail should be working again

Just a short notice to let you all know that we've started using Mandrill to send automated system e-mails to LowEndTalk.com users. Anybody who has been experiencing issues with receiving e-mail should now start to receive e-mail again.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu

Comments

• -Insert ColoCrossing joke here-

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

• @MannDude said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...? Gmail has weird SPAM filters sometimes, it tosses good e-mail in the SPAM folder for reasons I don't know.

In any case, you got the e-mail, which is the most important thing.

• Does this issue have any correlation with not getting in-site notifications of mentions?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

mpkossen said: I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...? Gmail has weird SPAM filters sometimes, it tosses good e-mail in the SPAM folder for reasons I don't know.

In any case, you got the e-mail, which is the most important thing.

Sorry, I thought the announcement was made because LET's emails were going to spam and that this change of setup was the solution to remedy that.

• @MannDude said:
    Sorry, I thought the announcement was made because LET's emails were going to spam and that this change of setup was the solution to remedy that.

Nope. The issue was that some e-mail providers rely solely on SpanHaus' lists and thus were rejecting (not marking as SPAM) all e-mail. Those people should now be receiving e-mail again.

SPAM filters are mostly custom to the user, AFAIK.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited August 2014

I've got mine fine. Not going to spam. Thanks.

• Finally started getting the first ones in my inbox other then in Spam. We are using Zoho as our provider with the standard spam settings.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Now all the emails are going straight to my spam box, unlike before.

• Outlook.com/Hotmail still blocks the E-Mails.

• @IceCream said:
    Outlook.com/Hotmail still blocks the E-Mails.

You could check you personal settings at outlook.com. If that's not causing the issue, you should be looking for another e-mail provider. If they're blocking mail coming from Mandrill you're probably going to miss out on a lot of e-mail.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited August 2014

mpkossen said: we've started using Mandrill to send automated system

With a dedicated IP?

• any idea re: hotmail/outlook, i suspect if enough members marked your domain as a safe sender, you'd get unblocked for everyone.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

So switching to mandrill actually reduced deliverability?

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2014

Just fill the form Outlook.com offers for deliver ability issues and they will respond or speak with Mandrill if your using their services.

However I suspect its an issue their side not to do with mandrill but the history of the domain.

I can confirm the services I have using Mandrill is not blocked in Outlook.com.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

@mpkossen said:
    You could check you personal settings at outlook.com. If that's not causing the issue, you should be looking for another e-mail provider. If they're blocking mail coming from Mandrill you're probably going to miss out on a lot of e-mail.

@jbiloh said:
    So switching to mandrill actually reduced deliverability?

Before the switch LET's emails were SPF and DKIM validated and went straight to my Gmail inbox. Now they're not and they go to spam. We know Gmail puts a lot of weight into authentication, so it seems like a safe assumption that the lack of that is at least part of the problem, if not the whole problem?

I use Mandrill as a sender as well and have seen identical emails immediately switch from going into Gmail's spam folder to Gmail's inbox just by setting up SPF and DKIM.

http://help.mandrill.com/entries/22030056-How-do-I-add-DNS-records-for-my-sending-domains-

• wychwych Member

I would assume they had set up SPF and DKIM as part of the switch to Mandrill?

• wych said: I would assume they had set up SPF and DKIM as part of the switch to Mandrill?

Nah:

• @sleddog said:
    With a dedicated IP?

No.

Dylan said: Before the switch LET's emails were SPF and DKIM validated and went straight to my Gmail inbox. Now they're not and they go to spam. We know Gmail puts a lot of weight into authentication, so it seems like a safe assumption that the lack of that is at least part of the problem, if not the whole problem?

I have asked Alex to fix the DKIM. According to Mandrill the SPF record is just fine.

• mpkossen said: According to Mandrill the SPF record is just fine.

Weird. Gmail didn't see it earlier and I don't see it now -- these are the only TXT and SPF records that come up:

# dig lowendtalk.com txt
    lowendtalk.com.         299     IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:lowendbox.com mx a +all"

# dig lowendbox.com txt
    lowendbox.com.          299     IN      TXT     "v=spf1 mx a ~all"

We had fixed the spf record yesterday actually.

• I don't filter out spam and I've never received an email from the help desk. I don't know if this is related, thought I'd put it out there.

We recently moved the helpdesk's email server too, let us know if its working better as well.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

Looks like LET emails are coming from the LowEndBox servers again (not Mandrill), and for me they're going into spam.

• @Dylan said:
    Looks like LET emails are coming from the LowEndBox servers again (not Mandrill), and for me they're going into spam.

Which e-mails are you talking about? PM notifications? Registration e-mail? Helpdesk e-mail?

I just realized the e-mail settings may not have synced across the cluster which results in e-mail not being delivered to some people. I'll ask Alex to look at it.

• It seems to be the case that the settings are just on one server. The cluster doesn't have a distributed file system (for core files) so any changes to the configuration I make need to be done manually by Alex. I forgot this was the case as well for e-mail settings.

I'll get this fixed ASAP guys. My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • Is the cluster still needed in the first place? It's hard to imagien that LET causes so much load that it can't be handled by a single modern dual CPU box. I think there should be enough advertising revenue to pay for this?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

@mpkossen said:
    Which e-mails are you talking about? PM notifications? Registration e-mail? Helpdesk e-mail?

Sounds like you figured it out already but yeah, Vanilla stuff like PM and topic notifications.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @rds100 said:
    Is the cluster still needed in the first place? It's hard to imagien that LET causes so much load that it can't be handled by a single modern dual CPU box. I think there should be enough advertising revenue to pay for this?

I think it's mostly to handle peak traffic and possible attacks better, though I'm not sure. I didn't design it.

This discussion has been closed.