Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] E-mail Hosting - 10%-20% off
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] E-mail Hosting - 10%-20% off

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited August 2014 in Offers

(Pre-approved advertising non-VPS product that appeals to a frequently stated need of users on this forum, ask @mpkossen for confirmation)

Hi everyone!

A while back I advertised my new e-mail service here. This was designed to be the solution for affordable mail hosting with a "bring your own domain" system. Since that time MXroute has grown up quite a bit. I would like to offer LET members two promotion codes for our services.

Promo Code: TRYMX

20% off, non-recurring discount.

Promo Code: MX10

10% off, recurring discount.

Features:

• Z-Push

ActiveSync compatible push services for your devices. Some devices may not work, Z-Push has some functional limitations.

• Redundancy

RAID10 storage, daily off-site backups.

• Webmail

• Secure IMAP, POP3, SMTP.

• DKIM (Open ticket for public key)

• User trained bayesian filtering.

Plans:

(Edit: These are higher than original prices, no client will see an increase in the price of their existing service)

Small

10GB Storage

1 Domain

1 Email Account

$5/year

Order: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=5

Medium

15GB Storage

3 Domains

10 Email Accounts per domain

$15/year

Order: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=6

Large

50GB Storage

10 Domains

30 Email Accounts per domain

$25/year

Order: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=3

When I previously announced the MXroute product, it existed as a product of Catalyst Host. Today, MXroute stands on it's own two feet with myself, Ryan, and Christine as the team behind the service.

Comments

• wasn't it $1 a year for the small plan? So when I renew will i have to pay $5 a year now or is it still $1 for current members?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Stevie said:
    wasn't it $1 a year for the small plan? So when I renew will i have to pay $5 a year now or is it still $1 for current members?

Great question :)

The slow price increase was an intentional business plan, though I always plan to keep it affordable. No one will ever have the price of their service raised. I just don't think it's right to change the price on anyone who signed up paying an amount and expecting it to be recurring at that price.

• Where is the server placed?

@sundaymouse said:
    Where is the server placed?

The server is hosted in Dallas under Catalyst Host. The backup MX (relay) is located in Los Angeles.

• @Jar

Its understandable why you would do a price increase, $1 a year for 10 gig space is a crazy good deal, but yea, just for future price increases just leave a message confirming that prices wont go up for current customers :-).

I bought this a month or so ago but not have used it yet, I will be sure to write a review once I used it for a few months.

Hope you get more customers.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Any plans to offer packages with larger storage?

@jrsmith said:
    Any plans to offer packages with larger storage?

It is definitely up for consideration. I am considering something of a professional line for providers/resellers.

• I actually bought a buyVM cpanel account to do email, but it didn't work out as I expected since it leaked some information in the email headers. Would you consider creating a plan like "small" but with more domains and more emails/domain?

@black said:
    I actually bought a buyVM cpanel account to do email, but it didn't work out as I expected since it leaked some information in the email headers. Would you consider creating a plan like "small" but with more domains and more emails/domain?

I'm afraid that I've decided to no longer add any custom packages as I've realized that it comes with the cost of being able to automate certain things with any consistency. Trying to keep over head low in favor of pricing and high uptime :)

• Kinda tempted as my mail server is currently sitting on a 512MB box atm ($3.5/mo), but I kinda like being able to create a ton of aliases.

@Jack said:
    Is there a refund policy?

There is. As always I may choose to offer a refund, but as a policy I prefer to state it as not an option.

We do not refund cancelled contracts. Exceptions will be made where MXroute is found to have failed to uphold it's guarantees. If you feel that a refund is warranted we encourage you to contact us at [email protected]. In case of AUP violations, any and all refunds are forfeit.

• I'm really enjoying MXroute, using it for about 5 months now I think

Thanked by 1jar
  • I've been using MXRoute for quite a while, wish that the packages for extra email addresses could be bought on the fly (upgrading) at the same price that you paid.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jar said:
    I'm afraid that I've decided to no longer add any custom packages as I've realized that it comes with the cost of being able to automate certain things with any consistency. Trying to keep over head low in favor of pricing and high uptime :)

Sounds reasonable. I'll wait until you get really drunk one day and decide to slash prices :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • RizRiz Member

I decided to go another route due to the amount of clients I have. However, with the service and help Jarland provided I was exceptionally pleased. I played around with it for a few hours and was happy with what I saw. If you're looking for a cheap, but quality email host this is your answer.

@black I too tried the same thing and encountered problems. For the webhosting part of it; it's been nice on that BuyVM plan, but I have since moved all my email related services off of it. I think this would work out pretty well for you.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Been using MXroute for four months and can vouch for Jar being extremely helpful and going above and beyond to help me figure out the mail server issues I was having at the time. Prices are extremely reasonable for the service he provides as well.

Thanked by 1jar

@0xdragon said:
    I've been using MXRoute for quite a while, wish that the packages for extra email addresses could be bought on the fly (upgrading) at the same price that you paid.

You're the second person recently to mention a clean upgrade path. I'll make this a priority. :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Jar said:
    You're the second person recently to mention a clean upgrade path. I'll make this a priority. :)

Also it being on the same management account too, that'd make life much easier :)

Thanks for running this awesome service!

Thanked by 1jar
  • Is support almost 24/7?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I cancelled mine a while back because I simply didn't need it (at least I think I cancelled it, don't remember) but when I was using it, the service was excellent with no issues.

Thanked by 1jar

@jcaleb said:
    Is support almost 24/7?

I definitely want to make no illusions about this, so great question. The server is monitored 24/7 and would not be left waiting in the event of an outage. Support, however, I am guaranteeing a 24 hour response time and 6 hours or less for DKIM key requests.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Very happy to see a service like this one growing.

I would seriously consider using it instead of hosting myself if CardDAV synchronization with Roundcube was available.

It's actually easier to implement than ActiveSync ;-)

Thanked by 1jar

@Nyr said:
    Very happy to see a service like this one growing.

I would seriously consider using it instead of hosting myself if CardDAV synchronization with Roundcube was available.

It's actually easier to implement than ActiveSync ;-)

I've been experimenting with a lot of different implementations. Do you have any recommendations?

The most interesting test yet has been setting up OwnCloud with IMAP authentication, built in Roundcube, and it's own implementations of all the great *DAV services. The only struggle with that has been combining it's implementations with Roundcube without forcing Roundcube to request user authentication against OwnCloud.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Jar

I wanted to use ownCloud but found it not ready for production use. The *DAV services were working fine, but some others not much. This was many months ago. I think the ownCloud solution is a bit of an overkill, but that's jut my point of view.

For RoundCube I use my own backend (Baïkal) and a Roundcube plugin (RCMCardDAV). This works for me because the plugin lets me set details for any external server I want to sync and it works beautifully.

To be honest, something like this can't be so easy to implement on MXroute now that I think about it. A CardDAV server is needed and integration should be automated/transparent to the user. But then you have Z-Push too and you need to keep all of them happy. It can be done, but there is some work to do there to make it work perfectly.

I got some other questions which I was going to send on a ticket, but I figured they can answer other people's concerns too, so here they are:

• Are catch-all aliases possible? And [email protected] to [email protected] aliases?

• Antispam: is it SpamAssassin + bayes? Something more?

• Is ManageSieve available from Roundcube? If not, is there any solution available for custom filters?

• How well does Z-Push work in your experience?

That's all. I promise. I don't want to be a pain in the ass, I really appreciate a service like this one and I had recommended it to some people lately.

Thanked by 1jar
  • redoredo Member

What is behind the restriction "Forwarders to Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL are NOT allowed"? Thx.

Nyr said: I got some other questions which I was going to send on a ticket, but I figured they can answer other people's concerns too, so here they are:

Are catch-all aliases possible? And [email protected] to [email protected] aliases?

Antispam: is it SpamAssassin + bayes? Something more?

Is ManageSieve available from Roundcube? If not, is there any solution available for custom filters?

How well does Z-Push work in your experience?

Great questions! Catchall is available, forwarding would be the only way to achieve domain1 to domain2 with the current setup. Spam filter is SpamAssassin with bayesian filtering, currently making use of SpamCop as I've been monitoring their results in a mail server for a year straight with 0 results that I was not pleased with. Sieve is not currently available, though high on my priority list.

Z-Push is interesting. It works perfectly for me on iOS 7. It doesn't work at all for me on iOS 8 yet. It only works with one account configured through it per device, at least on iOS 7, despite claims otherwise from people active in the development.

redo said: What is behind the restriction "Forwarders to Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL are NOT allowed"? Thx.

These 3 services have massively increased the effectiveness of their spam filters in response to a new trend of spammers who send mail with proper headers that pass DKIM/SPF checks. This is difficult for spammers to accomplish on a massive level, but it is their current tactic and it is gaining much ground. Some people have still not witnessed this and will laugh at the notion, until they start receiving anywhere from 50-150 spam e-mails per day because of this new trend. Once you see it hit your inbox, you will be shocked, and you will have little in the way of dealing with it short of reducing the positive impact of mail that passes SPF and DKIM checks, which will in turn increase your false positives.

All that to say, if this new spam trend hits an inbox that forwards to Gmail, Yahoo, or AOL, there is no protecting that IP from being blocked at those services very quickly and repeatedly until said forwarder is disabled. In the meantime, all of your neighbors are now unable to e-mail anyone at these domains because of your forwarder.

To be clear, there is nothing that you can do with headers to allow Gmail, AOL, or Yahoo to punish the person who sent the mail to you instead of you for forwarding it to them. The only way to effectively filter this new spam, which has flawless headers, is to focus on content above headers. In doing so, they will block the server that sends this repeat spam to their servers, regardless of whether it originated there or not.

Spammers have killed forwarding for any service that does not invest significantly in licensing or resources and development for powerful outgoing mail filtering. You will see reports of it all over the internet, but most people seem to have no idea what is going on and they receive horrible advice on various internet forums when mentioning it. Things like "oh there must be a spammer on your server" or "your provider must not be policing their server" when the reality is, you can either disable the forwarders or face the consequences.

Hope that clears it up :)

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • Large
    50GB Storage
    10 Domains
    30 Email Accounts per domain
    $25/year

A friend of mine could be interested. Just a clarification. Is this flexible? For example, can it be 1 domain with 300 emails?

@jcaleb said:
    A friend of mine could be interested. Just a clarification. Is this flexible? For example, can it be 1 domain with 300 emails?

Afraid not at the moment. Moving forward I want to avoid customizing packages in favor of consistency so that I can keep overhead low, as disorganization over time increases workload with growth.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • wdqwdq Member

Does it support distribution lists? As in something like [email protected] forwards mail to both [email protected] and [email protected].

@wdq said:
    Does it support distribution lists? As in something like [email protected] forwards mail to both [email protected] and [email protected].

You can add multiple entries to the forwarder box when editing a mail account's settings. Should accomplish this well :)

Thanked by 1wdq