Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for storage VPSs again!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for storage VPSs again!

KiowaKiowa Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

Hello,

Starting a new test project with backup stuff, so I'm looking for storage VPSs. 4 total, ideally each from a different provider. Geographic location isn't important. KVM gets my preference if all else is equal, but ultimately any hypervisor is fine.

Don't need much CPU or ram.

What I do need is a lot of disk space... 512GB at least. If 1tb+ is possible at LEB prices that would be great. Enough bandwidth/transfer to make use of that space. Billing in USD. Ideally, Debian minimal as an OS option.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi,

Would you like KVM Windows? or Linux?

• KiowaKiowa Member

Linux. Debian specifically if possible.

• Backupsy?

• Take a look at http://vpsdime.com/ :)

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • KiowaKiowa Member
    edited July 2014

I saw their (backupsy's) offer from last year. Not sure if it's still valid or if storage has come down in price since then.

• KiowaKiowa Member

@gehaxelt said:
    Take a look at http://vpsdime.com/ :)

Oh they look pretty good. Thanks!

• for France and NA (Canada) you could use a Kimsufi box. Heard good things about VPSDime though

• @Kiowa said:
    I saw their (backupsy's) offer from last year. Not sure if it's still valid or if storage has come down in price since then.

Probably not valid anymore, but @serverian might be able to help you :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited July 2014

http://buyvm.net/

Depends what you mean by "at LEB prices". I don't think you're going to find 1TB for $7/mo, or want it if you do.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

We're offering 1TB for $7/mo for a limited time at ByteonSite. Use coupon: 1TBFOR7 for 30% off. [/shameless-self-promotion]

• Fliphost, Backupsy, BuyVM, SecureDragon are the more established names out here for storage VMs. None are offering 1TB for $7 or less.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

Hi,
    We can make you custom xenstorage plan. 15 USD - 1TB XEN Hypervisor.
    Also you can get 512GB for 8 USD also XEN. Brand new dual E5 node in Chicago. This will be custom order so contact me if you are interested.

• KiowaKiowa Member
    edited July 2014

@rajprakash said:
    Fliphost, Backupsy, BuyVM, SecureDragon are the more established names out here for storage VMs. None are offering 1TB for $7 or less.

I figured 1tb would be pushing it, but my minimum is actually half that. I'm also OK with raidless storage, though I don't think many hosts would offer that.

I might also up my budget to $15/mo per node, just because it'd be more convenient to manage 1tb nodes than 0.5tb ones.

Anyway... Are those hosts offering 0.5tb for $7/mo or less? Backupsy's site wants $20/mo for 500gb, which isn't even close. (Unless that year old promotion is still valid). In comparison... even before the discount, ByteOnSite's offering 1tb for $10/mo. That's really not bad at all.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited July 2014

@Kiowa said:
    Anyway... Are those hosts offering 0.5tb for $7/mo or less? Backupsy's site wants $20/mo for 500gb, which isn't even close. (Unless that year old promotion is still valid). In comparison... even before the discount, ByteOnSite's offering 1tb for $10/mo. That's really not bad at all.

You don't want to just look at price, you also want to look at quality. You can always take the unreliable host route and get the highest specs with the worst quality. In the end, you'll find you could have saved money by paying a little more to use a reputable host like Backupsy.

Personally, I'd rather save the money and effort wasted on an unreliable host and just go straight to a trusted one.

• KiowaKiowa Member
    edited July 2014

Well, I'm trying to experiment with/design a storage net that can withstand node failures. So price really is #1 (as long as it meets spec) in this case.

Definitely if I was putting all my eggs in one basket, I'd rather go with a host that has a well established reputation. But I'm designing for survivability through multiple node failure so new players and fly by night hosts are fine.

• Basically use BTSync with a bunch of fly by night hosts. Problem solved :)

• rds100rds100 Member

If you need a lot of storage, i can do some Atom dedicated with a single 3TB HDD for $30/month.

• vdnetvdnet Member

@Pwner said:
    Personally, I'd rather save the money and effort wasted on an unreliable host and just go straight to a trusted one.

We've been around for 7 years, thank you very much :)

• KiowaKiowa Member

@vdnet said:

I'm curious about one thing though. Why is a single 2tb instance more expensive than 2 1tb instances? (In this case that works out for me but down the road I might be more interested in a single, larger instance.)

• vdnetvdnet Member

@Kiowa said:
    I'm curious about one thing though. Why is a single 2tb instance more expensive than 2 1tb instances? (In this case that works out for me but down the road I might be more interested in a single, larger instance.)

You can contact us for a custom quote. We're actually re-working those plans for when we release our KVM offerings soon. We can pretty much offer $10/TB all the way up to 32TB per server. The 1TB for $7, however, is a limited time promo which we wouldn't be able to honor for larger systems.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Kiowa said: Are those hosts offering 0.5tb for $7/mo or less?

How hard would it be for you to look...

Also, you could just get a $5 Kimsufi.

• KiowaKiowa Member

Kimsufi appears to bill in Euros, at least, I couldn't find anywhere they charged USD

@raindog308 I did look at some of them, at 0.5tb, they're closer to backupsy than leb pricing. But I think this thread has enough good offers..

@vdnet $10/tb is still the best offer here. I've placed an order and will probably be back again once I'm done with this project. Cheers.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited July 2014

@vdnet said:

Not that I don't believe you, but:

http://who.is/whois/byteonsite.com

Important Dates Expires On May 30, 2015 Registered On May 30, 2013 Updated On May 30, 2014

Edit

Nevermind, I found your parent company had registered its domain in 2006.

• vdnetvdnet Member

@Pwner said:
    Updated On May 30, 2014

Yes. We did register ByteonSite in 2013. Maybe you should read our About Us next time before you post.

• iLLagHeeiLLagHee Member
    edited July 2014

@Vdnet you only have chicago left? None in nj? Cant select anything but chicago.

N/M pro stor only in chicago.

• This is Fliphost / Cloud Shards etc

We can do 500GB for $7 and 1TB for $14, check out our offer @ http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1397262

• W3HostW3Host Member

Please create a ticket at https://w3-host.com/submitticket.php. A member of our sales team will be happy to hook you up with the best price possible!

• if you need in Openvz please send a mail to [email protected]