Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes are coming to LowEndBox! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Changes are coming to LowEndBox!

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Change the offers to be reddit style with good/bad karma for up/down voting :)

• wychwych Member

@AnthonySmith said:

That should be easy to do since its built in WP.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

That's an interesting idea actually.

Thanked by 1mpkossen

@jbiloh said:

It would add a fresh new positive dynamic to the site imo, a little bit more interactivity and a unique point that none of the clones have.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Yeah I agree, the interactivity aspect is especially intriguing. Would give users more control over what providers get the most time up top, etc.

edited July 2014

@jbiloh said:
    Yeah I agree, the interactivity aspect is especially intriguing. Would give users more control over what providers get the most time up top, etc.

Yep, you would probably need to tie in a user/login system to LEB, I suppose cross site auth with LET would be simple enough or you could end up with a lot of abuse of the system.

Doing this gives future options for user submitted posts with karma ratings as well, now you have the tabbed system 'hat tip for that' it would not get messy and again brings interactivity that no other clones have.

• DylanDylan Member

That is a really, really good idea.

• SpiritSpirit Member

Depend how you look at it. If you want to have same popular 2 or 3 hosts all the time on the top of the frontpage then that's good idea.

But if you want to have LEB which would serve to it's purpose - introducing/featuring LEB hosts (instead of reposting coupons from same old names all the time) then this would be a challenge which could make from blog again readable website worth to open and comment.

Thanked by 1kontam
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Doing this gives future options for user submitted posts with karma ratings as well, now you have the tabbed system 'hat tip for that' it would not get messy and again brings interactivity that no other clones have.

I will be looking into the options for this, as it's definitely appealing. There seems to be a plugin for integration: http://wordpress.org/plugins/vanilla-forums/. If this does actually work it'll solve a large number of issues we've had with the comment system and it will definitely integrate the two sites more, which would be absolutely awesome.

If I have some moments this week I'll add this to my test installations and see how it works out.

@mpkossen said:
    If I have some moments this week I'll add this to my test installations and see how it works out.

nice one, if you want some free servers to play with for testing let me know.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

I don't know, ppl will vote negative if the host hosts on CC

@netomx said:

Well those would be people that would not buy CC based products so it is a fair vote.

I know there are 50 x "this could happen" arguments, but you just don't know until you try, if it is a success it will be a huge one imo, linking in the LET auth for votes will help weed out most of the abuse by default

Thanked by 2netomx Dylan
  • SweetSweet Member
    edited July 2014

@netomx said:

They could also make it so only up votes are allowed.

Also... what is to stop all these hosts from making mass accounts to upvote.

• level4level4 Member

This post made me join, I've been browsing these forums for a long time. and would certainly like to be part of LowEndTalk's future.

• IshaqIshaq Member

+1

• netomx said: I don't know, ppl will vote negative if the host hosts on CC

And where's the conspiracy theory that people would buy votes too? =P goes both ways

Thanked by 2netomx GIANT_CRAB
  • kontamkontam Member

It's been 5 days now and I still don't see any bar on the top, has it been canceled?

• blackblack Member

@jbiloh said:

If you don't have any proxy detection or something like that in place, it's going to get abused.

• @kontam said:
    It's been 5 days now and I still don't see any bar on the top, has it been canceled?

You should probably clear your browser cache or do a hard refresh (CTRL+F5 on normal systems, APPLE+R on Apple's property).

• LeeLee Veteran

A tab with 3 links. That's hardcore...

Should this discussion not be on LEB?

Thanked by 1Corey
  • @mpkossen said:
    You should probably clear your browser cache or do a hard refresh (CTRL+F5 on normal systems, APPLE+R on Apple's property).

I've done that, I still don't see anything. I wonder if I need to enable any plugins apart from flash and javascript?

• This is what you're supposed to see: http://i.imgur.com/uc4P8mI.png

• I tried it on a couple of VMs and I can't see that. Doesn't matter really as it's only links.

• @kontam said:
    I tried it on a couple of VMs and I can't see that. Doesn't matter really as it's only links.

Strange. Do you get to see new posts?

Maybe your CloudFlare PoP is having a bad cache resulting in the old header still loading.

• kontamkontam Member
    edited August 2014

That's actually the only reasonable explanation, because I've tried different browsers and different OSes and I still can't see any layout differences. Yes I can see new posts.

I wonder if there are more people with this issue. I'm located in SE UK if that matters.

• wychwych Member

I am in the UK and can see the update.

• I suggest @jbiloh gives back LEB / LET back to the community where it truly belongs.

• My bad, I thought the update was for LET but it was for LEB.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • wychwych Member

@vampireJ said:
    I suggest jbiloh gives back LEB / LET back to the community where it truly belongs.

Next joke.

@kontam said:
    My bad, I thought the update was for LET but it was for LEB.

You can see it on LEB right? ;)

• Yes I can see it alright. The note of coming changes was here on LET so I assumed it was meant for this board, not LEB. My bad, apologies.

This discussion has been closed.