Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convert from WHMCS to Hostbillapp?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Convert from WHMCS to Hostbillapp?

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited May 2012 in General

I'm hip deep into Hostbill's website, but anyone know if they provide migration services free or paid? Want to keep my options open.

Comments

• @FRCorey said: I'm hip deep into Hostbill's website, but anyone know if they provide migration services free or paid? Want to keep my options open.

I would say email them but I am pretty sure they are swamped with emails, tickets, and orders lol

• They dont, I just looked into

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FRCorey said: I'm hip deep into Hostbill's website, but anyone know if they provide migration services free or paid? Want to keep my options open.

I'd recommend you not make a rash decision quite yet on that all.

Francisco

• RandyRandy Member

hostbill support sucks, please do re-consider, they never respond to emails

• Honestly WHMCS is the best one. I don't really know any other billing system that does all of that. Anyone else?

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

Looking at hostbills integration with a lot of different things is pretty nice, like I said just keeping my options open. If WHMCS faces a lawsuit they could just go under.

• KairusKairus Member

@FRCorey said: If WHMCS faces a lawsuit they could just go under.

That would be very interesting...I wonder if one of WHMCS's competitors is behind this? This could really open the market...

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

Ya know back in the dial up ISP days we used to play jokes on each other, but never did anything that would drive all their customers away. Used to have a URN sitting next to the cash register that had one of our competitors names on it. Customers were always asking us if they went under or saying finally they sucked or something of that nature. It was always good for a laugh that's for sure.

• KairusKairus Member

@FRCorey Haha. There are always going to be people out there that would go to such lengths to be successful. Especially considering the way they got access to the servers, it wasn't like, "LOL look I found an exploit on WHMCS's website... watch what I can do..."

• Any good alternatives to whmcs that support tcadmin?

• VictorVictor Member
    edited May 2012

I don't think anyone should change just yet, nothing is hack-proof, and there will always be holes in software no matter how experienced the developers are. We should just wait till Matt/WHMCS sort through this mess and get everything back on track before making rash decisions. Who knows, maybe HostBill will be next? What's to say that HostBill doesn't have holes in its software and security?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@bijan588 said: Any good alternatives to whmcs that support tcadmin?

AWBS seems to, I used it for years before switching to WHMCS in 2010 http://www.awbs.com/modules.php

• JacobJacob Member

And they support SolusVM, That's interesting...
    The current price to purchase an AWBS license is: $169.00

Cheaper then WHMCS.

• AsimAsim Member

HostBill does not have monthly lease now, they keep on switching it

• @Asim said: HostBill does not have monthly lease now, they keep on switching it

I bet HostBill will start doing a move to HostBill monthly promo soon.

• laaevlaaev Member

@Jacob said: The current price to purchase an AWBS license is: $169.00

AWBS is complete shit.

That is all.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Anyone whith experience on hooks, module development, etc with some other software but whmcs?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What do you think would happen to hostbill if, lets say 50% from WHMCS clients move to it? It will get targeted by hackers and most likely exploited a lot more than WHMCS. WHMCS has proven to fill security holes fast and release updates once something pops out. Hostbill is not widely used and most likely not targeted by capable hackers. Once more people start using it, exploits will start popping out one after another.

• klikliklikli Member

That reminds me of LxLabs/HyperVM. :P

• Host bill support have always been able to help me very quickly.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

@LiquidHost said: WHMCS has proven to fill security holes fast and release updates once something pops out.

To be fair, every time WHMCS patches one of their exploits, Hostbill patches the same exploit shortly after.

• @FRCorey said: If WHMCS faces a lawsuit they could just go under.

They should have insurance. Plus I am pretty sure that had something in their terms of service stating they are not liable.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@BassHost said: erms of service stating they are not liable.

You still need to defend yourself in court, and that costs money. Lawsuits are not about right and wrong, it is who can play the game longer most of the time.

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • @BassHost said: They should have insurance. Plus I am pretty sure that had something in their terms of service stating they are not liable.

They can be sued under the data protection act, their still liable for that.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2012

@Daniel Which Specific part have they breached, and I assume by continuing to make these statements about data protection over and over you have verified they are registered and required registration with the ITO?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@AnthonySmith said: @Daniel Which Specific part have they breached, and I assume by continuing to make these statements about data protection over and over you have verified they are registered and required registration with the ITO?

They broke "Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes." and "Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data."

Someone on WHT posted a detailed post on it, but they've severely breached the act.

oh, and heres the offence.

"Section 55 - Unlawful obtaining of personal data. This section makes it an offence for people (Other Parties), such as hackers and impersonators, outside the organisation to obtain unauthorised access to the personal data.[10]"

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

However that can only be enforced if the purpose of intended use of the data required them to be registered in the first place with the ITO which I am confident it was not and thus they cannot be held accountable, at worst they would simply be forced to register.

You have to consider that fact that those rules only apply if you are required by law to register or notify with the ITO and I cannot see any case where by WHMCS would have been.

I know it is a far fetched example but for example a hair dressers holds personal information for bookings and possibly marketing of their own services and billing, they are not required to register as a result.

If the hair dressers is broken in to and their "books" are stolen they are not held accountable under data protection as they were not required to register in the first place.

far fetched like I said but no different in reality. WHMCS held data for marketing of their own products, and billing. this not required to register and there for not accountable under the data protection act.

Don't get me wrong I don't think this is good but the reality is the UK DPA has huge loop holes.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Victor said: I don't think anyone should change just yet, nothing is hack-proof, and there will always be holes in software no matter how experienced the developers are. We should just wait till Matt/WHMCS sort through this mess and get everything back on track before making rash decisions. Who knows, maybe HostBill will be next? What's to say that HostBill doesn't have holes in its software and security?

The problem is that, looking at some code, the WHMCS developers do not appear to be 'experienced' in any sense of the word, and they fucked up in how they handled the situation. Shit can happen, but there's a point where it stops being an accident and starts being 'poor management'.

Honestly, if you write code like WHMCS, you're asking to get hacked.

@Daniel said: They can be sued under the data protection act, their still liable for that.

Do you work for the UK government or something? You keep going on and on about the Data Protection Act, as if it's some kind of holy bible and everyone that hosts something outside the UK is blasphemous. Seriously, it's getting a bit annoying.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member

@Aldryic said: To be fair, every time WHMCS patches one of their exploits, Hostbill patches the same exploit shortly after.

Actually the exploit your talking about there was due to the smarty template system and since they both use smarty it was very likely the would both be effected.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@LV_Matt said: Actually the exploit your talking about there was due to the smarty template system and since they both use smarty it was very likely the would both be effected.

I'm referring to more than one exploit, and was making a lighthearted poke at the rumour that Hostbill is nothing more than reversed WHMCS that's been cleaned up and re-released. Nothing to take seriously, hence why I attached the meme.