Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All hail BuyVM! (review) | BuyVM.net - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

All hail BuyVM! (review) | BuyVM.net

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

Francisco said: don't mind eating the cost of hiring some more staff in this.

Staff? What are wrong with ponies?

• @kcaj said:
    Staff? What are wrong with ponies?

Lol perhaps they enjoying cough riding cough XD

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2014

Francisco said: We got into shared and I've not hung myself yet

And have to say that their shared hosting, especially the resellers plan, are soooooo cheap that if you only see their prices, you will probably say "they have to be a really crap provider". But, no, their quality on those plans (starting for just 2$!!!) are exceptional! You have to try it to believe it, compared with the price tag...

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • rds100rds100 Member

Francisco said: I enjoy ticket work :)

I don't mind it too, when we speak the same language with the customer. I imagine you have a lot of customers from the other end of the Pacific that can be a big challange...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

@jvnadr said:
    And have to say that their shared hosting, especially the resellers plan, are soooooo cheap that if you only see their prices, you will probably say "they have to be a really crap provider". But, no, their quality on those plans (starting for just 2$!!!) are exceptional! You have to try it to believe it, compared with the price tag...

Thanks :) Shared has been a fun project. It's hard to differentiate yourself in that market. We recently made it so all outbound connections originate from the users dedicated IP and not the shared nodes primary IP. This helps greatly for users accessing IP locked API's and crap like that.

rds100 said: I don't mind it too, when we speak the same language with the customer. I imagine you have a lot of customers from the other end of the Pacific that can be a big challange...

True but you'd be surprised how well google translator works for a lot of that. I've also found us replying in somewhat broken english, as odd/offensive as it sounds, helps greatly as well.

Francisco

Thanked by 1rds100
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

Francisco said: from the users dedicated IP

I forgot that. Every 2$ reseller plan with 20GB hdd has, also, a dedicated ip and a jailed ssh access for basic tasks, as transfering files!! A perfect way to setup a quick managed server for small sites with a lot of functions cpanel offer to the user, with access to whm but without the headache to manage the server, vps or dedi and at a fragment of the cost! Dedi ip + cpanel + whm + managed/secured server + jailed ssh for 2$!

(No, I pay for my service, this is not advertisement for BuyVM but, after a lot of years that I tried a lot of shared providers for some of my client's projects, it costs less and offers a way to much than competitors...)

Thanked by 1Francisco

CageFS is nice and gives a lot of control w/o the headaches/fears of break outs. We originally didn't have cloudlinux/cagefs but within the first week we realized that not having the PHP selector was enough of a reason to license it.

I'm hoping to put 2 'fully managed cpanel' plans out in the coming weeks. I'll go into more detail at WHT/etc with the details. The plans w/ cpanel will be way over the $7/m mark so I won't bother necro'ing this thread.

Francisco

Thanked by 3netomx ShhhInvi Miky
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@alexh said:
    To be sad or questionable, but many do. Just to clarify.

Sorry, didn't know CC uses child labor

• k0nslk0nsl Member

I'm also happy with their services, has worked out great for me so far. Except for the issues last month, but that was perfectly understandable in my view - nothing to get hung up about. Their shared hosting platform seems pretty solid so far, as well.

Great provider.

• One of BuyVM's biggest assets is their IRC. A few interesting characters there, but all are super helpful and more than willing to go the extra mile to help you out - especially the community members who aren't collecting a paycheque.

@Francisco has helped me countless times, and that extra level of support in a supposedly unmanaged service, is so awesome. Any "premium" you pay - which isn't much of a premium, their pricing is pretty spot on - is easily made up if you 1) ever need help 2) pre-pay for longer terms.

On a side note: @Francisco - any plans to offer nightly cPanel backups at a premium? I'd happily double the monthly (lol - which is already next to nothing for the level of service) for some additional peace of mind.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Agreed!

The only reason I use BuyVM is because it has more of a "personal touch" than Ramnode or other providers.

A+ for BuyVM as always! :)

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited July 2014

mikeyur said: On a side note: @Francisco - any plans to offer nightly cPanel backups at a premium? I'd happily double the monthly (lol - which is already next to nothing for the level of service) for some additional peace of mind.

Nightly backups for cpanel rolled out on Sunday ;) Aldryic was supposed to send out an email about it but I guess he didn't get the chance. Free, of course.

You can check inside your cpanel and you'll see a 'cpremote' option that you can do a manual backup or do a restore from one of the backup points.

Francisco

Thanked by 2mike0000 netomx
  • Boxode said: "personal touch"

I didn't know @Francisco was talented on that area.

serverian said: I didn't know @Francisco was talented on that area.

I personally don't, he's probably talking about m0shbear or earlykyler.

There's always 'personal touch' when it comes to those two in IRC...even when you don't want it :(

Francisco

• Francisco said: Nightly backups for cpanel rolled out on Sunday ;)

Sweeeeeet. Wonder if there's a way to automate backups of all accounts from WHM, to remote (S)FTP... hrmm.

Francisco said: There's always 'personal touch' when it comes to those two in IRC...even when you don't want it :(

Don't remind me...

Thanked by 1netomx

mikeyur said: Sweeeeeet. Wonder if there's a way to automate backups of all accounts from WHM, to remote (S)FTP... hrmm.

You could always setup a cron to use RSYNC for it.

rsync is enabled in CageFS/SSH.

Francisco

Thanked by 2netomx Miky
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

Yep the BuyVM IRC gets pretty wild at times, lol.

• Francisco said: You could always setup a cron to use RSYNC for it.
    rsync is enabled in CageFS/SSH.

I'm pretty sure it's doable on a per-cPanel account level, but I'm talking WHM/Reseller level. I think it's possible for you guys to set it up that it'll backup all WHM accounts and stick them in a directory accessible by the main reseller account - but it's not setup out of the box.

I was hoping to find something that would backup all the accounts at once and then I can setup a cron to rsync them over to another machine.

• J1021J1021 Member

@Francisco said:

I think digi_vps is the worst. ;-)

• @Boxode just got BANNED!

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • J1021J1021 Member

@0xdragon said:
    Boxode just got BANNED!

The kid had it coming.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • @kcaj said:
    The kid had it coming.

He sure did!

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2014

Banned again? Hasn't he just been banned under is previous nick? Serial Offender Alert. However what was the reason this time? Posting a positive BuyVM review? ;-)

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • Banned? Again?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@IceCream said:
    Banned? Again?

Sir, please get in line with that question.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Y'all kn ow you can see why someone was banned by looking at their wall, right?

• @Nekki said:

I don't see it.

• @Nekki said:

Where? :O I cannot see it!

• AmitzAmitz Member

His wall (if I found it correctly) just tells me that he is banned. Not why. But that is, after all, not too important anyway.

• Amitz said: However what was the reason this time? Posting a positive BuyVM review? ;-)