Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All hail BuyVM! (review) | BuyVM.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

All hail BuyVM! (review) | BuyVM.net

Mind the title, but in all honesty they're VPS gods.

I've used BuyVM for a number of critical projects, both in terms of uptime, stability, support & ddos protection. BuyVM support is excellent; reply times are within a 30-45 minute window, although most replies are 10 minutes or under - for emergency contact a simple PM to @Francisco on the BuyVM IRC will get things sorted very fast.

BuyVM hardware & stability is up to par and great - with full SSD you cant really go wrong. Uptime in all honesty was a bit rocky last month, but in the past several months; it has been 99.99%+.

DDoS protection with BuyVM was run via tunneling through CNServers - whilst CNServers are excellent at L4 mitigation, they lacked L7 mitigation. Francisco did the responsible thing and switched me over to Staminous Communications ddos protection; shortly after he switched all ddos protection to Staminous Communications and it has been smooth sailing ever since.

All in all, BuyVM are an excellent top-notch provider that do not get enough attention on LET primarily because I think Francisco does not want to target his client base at LET members for some reason.

I would highly recommend BuyVM to everyone. A+ from me! :)

Thanked by 1socials

Comments

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited July 2014

If I got a discount, I'd definitely consider them.

EDIT: I searched for "BuyVM meme" and found "You can't say nay to the ponay". Cracked up.

Thanked by 2retry ihatetonyy
  • said: All in all, BuyVM are an excellent top-notch provider that do not get enough attention on LET primarily because I think Francisco does not want to target his client base at LET members for some reason.

There was a time when LEB / LET was all hyped up with Buyvm (pre colocrossing era). But I guess most providers has caught up with them so you got a lot of others to choose from.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • epaslvepaslv Member

Great Support, I agree,

But I can't say the same for the iops performance on their VPS, as I am getting 1020 read, 339 write. Considering they are SSD's in RAID10.

read : io=3073.4MB, bw=4081.5KB/s, iops=1020 , runt=771071msec
    write: io=1022.7MB, bw=1358.2KB/s, iops=339 , runt=771071msec

Run status group 0 (all jobs):
    READ: io=3073.4MB, aggrb=4081KB/s, minb=4081KB/s, maxb=4081KB/s, mint=771071msec, maxt=771071msec
    WRITE: io=1022.7MB, aggrb=1358KB/s, minb=1358KB/s, maxb=1358KB/s, mint=771071msec, maxt=771071msec

Also can't run fio to run iodepth beyond 8

./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=16 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75

fio: check /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr
    fio: io engine init failed. Perhaps try reducing io depth?
    fio: pid=16185, err=11/file:engines/libaio.c:264, func=io_queue_init, error=Resource temporarily unavailable

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

You may also add that @francisco is an excellent person who is always in the mood to help . And yup, they were all active here until CC bought LET

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

What do you mean rocky uptime? Is it just network?

• gracagraca Member

what happen between them and cc?

• kaflokaflo Member

@vampireJ said:
    There was a time when LEB / LET was all hyped up with Buyvm (pre colocrossing era).

Yeah they were always out of stock at that time because everyone wanted to buy. There was even this website - doesbuyvmhavestock.com (gone now).

@graca said:
    what happen between them and cc?

long story, not sure if someone has the mood to write all about. Just think of this: CC got LET and BuyVM went to VPSB

• alexhalexh Member
    edited July 2014

netomx said: long story, not sure if someone has the mood to write all about. Just think of this: CC got LET and BuyVM went to VPSB

It's sad that this had to happen; BuyVM was one of the original LEB providers that did it right, and one of the first I ever tried.

Look at this: http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/velocity-servers.net

Fran did the right thing considering this site is hosted & ran by a company known to host ROKSO for a number of years. There's even a /15 and /17 on that list.

@alexh said:
    Fran did the right thing considering this site is hosted & ran by a company known to host ROKSO for a number of years. There's even a /15 and /17 on that list.

I don't know why it is "sad". It is just a business, like a lot of them.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited July 2014

@netomx said:
    I don't know why it is "sad". It is just a business, like a lot of them.

Maybe you don't consider:

• Child labor as means to support guerrilla marketing strategies
    • Being an accessory to crime(s) / facilitating crime(s)

To be sad or questionable, but many do. Just to clarify.

• @vampireJ said:
    There was a time when LEB / LET was all hyped up with Buyvm (pre colocrossing era). But I guess most providers has caught up with them so you got a lot of others to choose from.

BuyVM was my first ever LEB. I was paying $5-10/mo before that

I remember the posts on WHT saying "no way, $15/yr is impossible! this is a scam, they won't be around next year, etc.."

that was years ago.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

@epaslv said:
    Great Support, I agree,

But I can't say the same for the iops performance on their VPS, as I am getting 1020 read, 339 write. Considering they are SSD's in RAID10.

read : io=3073.4MB, bw=4081.5KB/s, iops=1020 , runt=771071msec
    write: io=1022.7MB, bw=1358.2KB/s, iops=339 , runt=771071msec

Run status group 0 (all jobs):
    READ: io=3073.4MB, aggrb=4081KB/s, minb=4081KB/s, maxb=4081KB/s, mint=771071msec, maxt=771071msec
    WRITE: io=1022.7MB, aggrb=1358KB/s, minb=1358KB/s, maxb=1358KB/s, mint=771071msec, maxt=771071msec

Also can't run fio to run iodepth beyond 8

./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=16 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75

fio: check /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr
    fio: io engine init failed. Perhaps try reducing io depth?
    fio: pid=16185, err=11/file:engines/libaio.c:264, func=io_queue_init, error=Resource temporarily unavailable

I completely agree on the IOPS and even the raw throughput. I'm fairly sure the Adaptec's are just not performing as they should. When we did the SSD's we
    were on borrowed time so I wasn't able to debug every last thing with them. We simply got them to acceptable levels and started rolling out nodes with them with whatever time I had left before my next flights.

Ideally it should be 1.5 - 2GB/sec in throughput and probably 40k - 80k in IOPs.

I'm fully aware (since I figurd it out on my own, could never find it written much) that DD's are affected by raw CPU speed. It should still be way higher than it actually is.

Either way, thanks for the review :)

Francisco

edited July 2014

@jcaleb said:
    What do you mean rocky uptime? Is it just network?

NJ's network is solid now that Choopa finally addressed that router/switch.
    Minus a route blip here/there, it's solid all around.

Vegas was a much harder mess since it was a different platform (being 10gig
    uplinks instead of how Jersey is).

In the end, we quickly spent $6,000 and got the brocade in place. It runs solid
    and minus a planned maintenance I have for October to add additional redundancy
    (additional PSU unit and a 2nd management card), it's awesome.

Francisco

• Any good coupons lying around by any chance ? ;)

• J1021J1021 Member

xavier66 said: Any good coupons lying around by any chance ? ;)

There was a 50% discount code for first payment on any terms last month but this has expired. I don't think BuyVM do coupon codes often because they don't struggle to bring the customers in at full price.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

xavier66 said: Any good coupons lying around by any chance ? ;)

BuyVM have never done coupons. Just drop the few dollars it takes to try the, and see if you like.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • I think u could get a slightly lower price when paid annually. Btw Love their support...

• ShhhInvi said: I think u could get a slightly lower price when paid annually. Btw Love their support...

It's one month free per 6 ordered, I believe

• I love love love the network at BuyVM NJ (haven't used LV in awhile but I don't remember it being bad) minus the few blips, and love that inbound b/w is now unmetered (though I never got close to my allocation before)

@ShhhInvi said:
    I think u could get a slightly lower price when paid annually. Btw Love their support...

Correct :) 1 month free with every 5 months paid. We have a 'new customer' offer in place right now that gives you your 2nd month free.

Nekki said: BuyVM have never done coupons. Just drop the few dollars it takes to try the, and see if you like.

We did a 50% off first payment (no restriction on plan or payment period) for DailyServerDeals but that's about it for coupons.

I never much cared for competing on price, instead we compete on features and extras. Stallion provides a lot of things, many features that other OVZ hosts don't/can't have.

All 256MB+ plans get free nightly backups in LV (NJ pending SSD's to make it possible). Private IP ranges, free inbound, free upgrade to SSD's (even if they are performing underpar, but that's hopefully a short term issue), affordable DDoS filtering, etc.

If I was charging $1/month for a 256, I can assure you we wouldn't bother trying to offer all these extra's.

Francisco

• @texteditor said:
    It's one month free per 6 ordered, I believe

Ahhh sorry my mistake then... should refresh my own 'memory' harder than ever lol

• @Francisco Ahhh then it is slightly lower :-P

@ShhhInvi said:
    I think u could get a slightly lower price when paid annually. Btw Love their support...

We're actually working on offering free, fully managed support. I've been fiddling with some additional plans aimed at that, but the plan right now is to offer full management on all 256MB+ plans.

128MB's will get the same level of support they get now, just we won't do constant backflips to tune your kloxo to run 40 sites on it, etc.

We're hoping to have this upgrade to support done in the coming month or so.

Francisco

• rds100rds100 Member

Francisco said: We're actually working on offering free, fully managed support.

Have you suddenly become a mazochist? ;-)

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • J1021J1021 Member

Francisco said: 128MB's will get the same level of support they get now, just we won't do constant backflips to tune your kloxo to run 40 sites on it, etc.

Do you know what you're letting yourself in for!

rds100 said: Have you suddenly become a mazochist? ;-)

I enjoy ticket work :) There's a lot of work that I automate from a repository of scripts Aldryic, & I have written over the years.

I mean, think about it. We got into shared and I've not hung myself yet.

How bad could fully managed be...............

Francisco

Thanked by 1orak
  • J1021J1021 Member

I wish you the best with your new managed venture, though I think you could charge atleast $2 for the service.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Nice to hear your future plan @Francisco

There will be more workload then... but I do believe your team could cope with it.

Wish you the best

edited July 2014

@kcaj said:
    I wish you the best with your new managed venture, though I think you could charge atleast $2 for the service.

Sure but that's not the BuyVM way ;) We like to roll things into our costs and don't mind eating the cost of hiring some more staff in this.

ShhhInvi said: Nice to hear your future plan @Francisco
    There will be more workload then... but I do believe your team could cope with it.
    Wish you the best

It will be but I don't think it'll be that bad. Most of our current users don't require tons of additional attention. There's already a good amount of users we do a lot for, including
    fully managed support on some cPanel VPS customers.

Thanks for the interest,

Francisco