Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for 30+ Magento Stores
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for 30+ Magento Stores

dammuglydammugly Member

What do you guys recommend ?

thanx

Comments

• A dedicated server.

Thanked by 1jar
  • dammit .. i was hoping to avoid that :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2014

0xdragon said: A dedicated server.

For Magento, assuming the log tables are not set to clear every 12 hours (or disabled entirely) and the product tables hold more than 3000 entries, I recommend 30+ dedicated servers.

Magento was built from the ground up to get large customers hooked and then make you buy the enterprise edition after later learning that no one could save you from a website that continually loaded slower and slower over time, because optimizing it is just a bandaid and most people don't even know how to do that.

Thanked by 1dammugly
  • How about a 16GB, Dual X5150 dedicated server for $20/month (paid quarterly).

Have a look here - we also have a Magento application image which you can load right onto the box.

• @Jar thank you for the insight .. need to think some options here .

• @Mark .. you think it can handle the 30 sites ? also pm me for a yearly discount if you can do that

thanx

edited July 2014

dammugly said: thank you for the insight .. need to think some options here

The honest truth is that Magento database tables grow large while the system is designed to use the fastest growing tables in the database on every page load, causing slower and slower load times as the tables grow before you next truncate them, which many people don't even do or realize they need to do.

For continued performance an application should not communicate with it's database, especially not with information that it cannot reasonably cache, on every page load. Disabling logging in Magento is the first step toward lowering the cost of running it. If you do this, truncate the log tables, then run Varnish you can probably pull off 30 Magento stores reasonably on a 2-4GB VPS with 2-4 CPU cores.

If said optimizations are made, I recommend VPSDime or an inexpensive dedicated server like @MarkTurner mentioned.

Signed,

Works-with-way-too-many-Magento-sites

• dammuglydammugly Member
    edited July 2014

again thanx mark .. i agree 100% on the optimizing part .. learnt the difficulties just trying to find a caching solution for the stores . coming from a world of W3 Total Cache etc .. this is just too involved .
    but will see what i can do .. i have a servermania vps which i was thinking of using .. hence the post .. wanted to get opinions before i did 6 hours work .. and possibly get a better vps if i need to .

thanx

• I haven't played too much with Magento in the last few years, but as @Jar says optimisation is key. We could put a 120GB SSD in the server and use that for the MySQL database.

Also because these units have 16GB RAM you can use a lot of memory caching or even something like Varnish to take the brunt off the MySQL server.

Annual on this unit is $200/year for Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk, 5TB transit and gigabit port. You get also dedicated ILO/KVM/IPMI (HP Lights Out).

I'd go monthly, confirm everything works as expected, see whether you need an SSD to really boost the performance (with good caching I doubt you'll need it and 16GB is a tonne of memory for caches).

• Thanx mark ..checking it out

• RaymiiRaymii Member

You could go with an "optimized" VPS: http://www.cloudvps.com/virtual-private-server/vps-images/magento-hosting/

Basically CentOS with redis, memcached, varnish and more pre-configured for Magento.

Raymii said: optimized

Wow never seen that. Dear lord how many types of caching have they thrown onto this image?

• Seems like caching the caches

http://www.cloudvps.com/community/knowledge-base/optimisation-steps-after-installation-of-magento/

'Redis also makes Full Page Caching possible, with this all static elements of a page are stored in the cache. '

Isn't that what Varnish is doing?

Why have redis and memcached? Again overkill

• MrXMrX Member

Whether it's a high-end VPS or a dedicated server, do you really want one single point of failure for 30 stores?

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing 30+ stores could go down if a data center blew up, a VPS got corrupted/deleted/rebooted, a dedicated server suffers massive hardware failure, et cetera...

• @MrX - it depends on the revenue. More servers, more cost, more admin. Of course if you're running Amazon then you have the budget to scale it out properly but if its just a small site generating a few dollars then its probably not worth it until the business grows sufficiently.

But critical is obviously off-site backups

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Seems like caching the caches

http://www.cloudvps.com/community/knowledge-base/optimisation-steps-after-installation-of-magento/

'Redis also makes Full Page Caching possible, with this all static elements of a page are stored in the cache. '

Isn't that what Varnish is doing?

Why have redis and memcached? Again overkill

You can choose whatever you want? I don't think you need them both, that would be overkill...

• MrXMrX Member

MarkTurner said: @MrX - it depends on the revenue. More servers, more cost, more admin. Of course if you're running Amazon then you have the budget to scale it out properly but if its just a small site generating a few dollars then its probably not worth it until the business grows sufficiently.

I'd agree with you if we're talking about a single shop, but if you're running more than 30 shops and not making enough money to set up redundant hosting or pay someone to do it, I would say you're doing something wrong.

It might not be OP's shops, though. Maybe he's just a shared hosting reseller that needs to grow. In that case, I feel for his clients but it's their responsibility then.

• naah Mrx ..its not that .. i am not a reseller

thanx