Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know free VPN software?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

liangleelianglee Member

Comments

• Softether

• OpenVPN? IPSec with StrongSwan/OpenSwan/Racoon?

• ChuckChuck Member

Is it for OpenVZ or Xen?

• OpenVPN AS as long as 2 clients is ok. It has a very nice web admin interface.

• OpenVPN I'm using this with Digit Ocean Droplet and it is working fine free version includes only two clients though

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited July 2014

thesuppOrtGuy2 said: OpenVPN I'm using this with Digit Ocean Droplet and it is working fine free version includes only two clients though

OpenVPN does not have client restrictions unless I am not understanding what your saying.

• akaemuakaemu Member

Access server does.. With the nice webui.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

Here you go, for every major linux os including a raspberry pi: https://raymii.org/s/tags/vpn.html

• ChanChan Member
    edited July 2014

OpenVPN. With a pre negotiated TLS key you're more or less immune from DPI blocks and if you use obfsproxy on top of that, you're more or less completely immune from any firewall blocks.

Yes softether has a lot more functionality/compatibility and all that, but openvpn installtion for me is just drag and drop (put files into /etc/openvpn then you're done forever).

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited July 2014

Nice tutorials you have there on your site @Raymii. Although for better security you may want to consider adding -o eth+ before --jump MASQUERADE in the IPTables command.

To the OP - you can also see my blog article here for an IPsec/L2TP VPN auto setup script.

Thanked by 1catalystium
  • ChuckChuck Member

Any auto setup script for OpenVZ VPS?

• thesuppOrtGuy2 said: OpenVPN I'm using this with Digit Ocean Droplet and it is working fine free version includes only two clients though

Your droplet only have openvpn? I know it is none of my business but you can get a cheaper vps for that or even a lowendspirit for $3 a year.

• StrongSwan for best crypto

• cassacassa Member

I'm using Softether, very easy to set up and manage

• @hwdsl2 said:

Started using your script here recently, been working nicely! Many thanks for writing it.

• @catalystium said:

You're welcome. If you have any question let me know.

• souensouen Member

Question for StrongSwan and SoftEther users: is there any reason you prefer either?

I got OpenVPN installed (and apparently SoftEther supports OpenVPN protocol), just wondering if there's a noticeable speed difference with StrongSwan or SoftEther, is there stronger crypto with IPSec? Is memory usage about the same? Thanks!

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@hwdsl2 in the later tutorials I changed MASQUERADE to SNAT with the right interface.

• smansman Member

I hate OpenVPN. I think SoftEther is on the right track.

• souensouen Member

@sman said: I hate OpenVPN. I think SoftEther is on the right track.

Care to expand on that comment, please? :) Looking into SoftEther and someone suggested StrongSwan, which protocol do you use with SoftEther?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Just use OpenVPN its the best ;)

• smansman Member
    edited July 2014

@souen said:

OpenVPN is kind of a pain to set up on both ends and is proprietary. SoftEther can use the OpenVPN protocol (so you can continue to use the OpenVPN client) or standard protocols built into the OS that are easier to set up.

The people behind SoftEther are not a corporation motivated by trying to sell you a commercial proprietary solution like OpenVPN. There are diagrams and charts on their website which explain it better than I can.

https://www.softether.org/

Thanked by 1souen
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@sman said:

Try using OpenVPN AS script from regolithmedia, NO PAIN

• souensouen Member

@sman: thanks for that, I was curious to hear users' experience with it, e.g. speed or other advantage over OpenVPN. I'll put SoftEther on a spare vps and see how it goes.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2014

@souen said:
    sman: thanks for that, I was curious to hear users' experience with it, e.g. speed or other advantage over OpenVPN. I'll put SoftEther on a spare vps and see how it goes.

Please let us know how it goes.

• TunnelBear :)