Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good are Xeon X5650 and X5660?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How good are Xeon X5650 and X5660?

rchurchrchurch Member

I have been looking at some comparisons and I notice that although Xeon X56xx series servers are much older and cheap they still offer a great deal of performance for their price, compared with even the latest E5s.

I am thinking of getting a cheap servers or workstations based on them. Any ideas?

Comments

• Depends what you use them for, I used to have a Xeon 3430 for a cPanel server a while back and it was totally fine for a small server.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Pretty good, I would challenge anyone to notice the difference in real world performance.

Really depends on what specifically you want to do with them.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • What are the prices for servers built with them? How much would a server matching a new E5 with 16 or 32GB of ram, with 2xTB SATA RAID, but probably second-hand cost?

• @rchurch said:
    What are the prices for servers built with them? How much would a server matching a new E5 with 16 or 32GB of ram, with 2xTB SATA RAID, but probably second-hand cost?

Even with dual cpus you can't realistically expect to match the number of cores/threads

• jnelson3149jnelson3149 Member
    edited July 2014

Fast I/O makes more of a difference in most cases. The 55 56 series all are all at least quad core with 8 threads. A dual processor server will have a minimum of 16 threads. Most of the time the CPU power will not be the bottleneck. The 2xTB sata drives, probably in raid 1, will NOT give you much performance however. Those processors are workhorses, just get a good fast RAID and you will have great performance.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited July 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    Pretty good, I would challenge anyone to notice the difference in real world performance.

Really depends on what specifically you want to do with them.

I will be using them mainly for development. Compiling build systems, libraries, GUI and 3D stuff, libraries, building websites etc.