Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install Squid3 as Caching Proxy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ashiqueashique Member
edited July 2014 in Tutorials

Most of all have used Squid3 as Regular Proxy Server. But try "Squid3" as Cache Server.

Highly effective if people browsing same site or accessing same data in same network.

=============

http://itsmegeek.com/install-squid3-caching-proxy/

=============

My Config is set for 128MB Cache with 5GB Disk Space. Make the changes as per your need.

Recommended :

512MB Cache with 10GB Disk Space

Comments

• I use it for youtube on my local network. works great :D

Thanked by 1ashique
  • Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited July 2014

said: Most of all have used Squid3 as Regular Proxy Server. But try "Squid3" as Cache Server.

I don't understand what do you mean with "Regular Proxy Server". Normal use of squid is as a caching proxy (maybe as a reverse proxy but isn't the main usage).

To install squid as a caching proxy (on debian) you just need to do

apt-get install squid

or

apt-get install squid3

and maybe a minimal tuning.

Your guide is a guide to create a public proxy (public, no autenthication). It doesn't greatly speed up your navigation (squid, for example, doesn't s gzip data before sending it to clients) , for that purpose you should try putting zipproxy behind squid.

VPS as a public service, even only in your country area, is quite risky. Is quite easily to get it abused.

Also the configuration file that you propose seems to have a cache of 10gb (not 5gb as you reported) and few less than 512mb of ram.

Thanked by 1rm_