Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Announcement] FTNHosting.net acquires VMPort & its assets - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Announcement] FTNHosting.net acquires VMPort & its assets

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

Very interesting read, I wish @VMPort luck with their new project. :)

• @miTgiB said: If it wasn't for us colonials you'd be speaking German today.

If it wasn't for us, you'd be speaking Sioux :p.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: If it wasn't for us colonials you'd be speaking German today.

Of course, if it wasn't for the French, we'd all be speaking...um...well, still English.

@FTN_Kevin said: At an event today,

What, did you rent the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum Conference Facilities?

• a Bland Rapids escapee
    Thanked by 1DimeCadmium
  • beardbeard Member

For the folks on here who are starting up their companies, take notice of what @Ashley said happened leading up to the acquisition.

@beard said: For the folks on here who are starting up their companies, take notice of what @Ashley said happened leading up to the acquisition.

...he turned 18?

"I recently lost a good support worker that has been with me since the start who has moved on to his next goal, university. I feel i am doing some what of the same."

• fanovpnfanovpn Member

@raindog308 said: Of course, if it wasn't for the French, we'd all be speaking...um...well, still English.

If it wasn't for the Normans, speaking English would be pretty much the same thing as speaking German anyway. Or at least Frisian, butter bread and green cheese and all that.

• Congrats to Chris and gang. Best of luck with the new company.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Congrats and here's to hoping half the clients don't jump ship before they give you a chance ;)

I guess I get the mindset there but for the prices of these things I think giving someone a shot is of pretty low risk.

• JacobJacob Member

I didn't expect to wake up and see this.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Interesting,

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited May 2012

"I recently lost a good support worker that has been with me since the start who has moved on to his next goal, university. I feel i am doing some what of the same."

So Ashley from VMport was 18 or under too?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NateN34 said: So Ashley from VMport was 18 or under too?

I thought he was in his late 20's, early 30's?

Francisco

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I think the comment "I feel i am doing some what of the same" regarding going (back) to the university isn't directly related to the personal age. Sometime even I at 46 think about this :-)

• Im not quite sure where the age 18 comment came from. If it is regarding the university comment i meant that i am also moving on to bigger things.

Im 22 with a 1 year old son, university is well and truly off the cards for me :P

Anyway, another thread successfully derailed <3

• DanielMDanielM Member

I can confirm i have sent an email and snail mail to the ICO.

• JacobJacob Member

So anyone going to share the financial stuff and how much FTN paid?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I cant believe I did not get first dibs!

/me rage quits VMPort services!

• @Jacob said: So anyone going to share the financial stuff and how much FTN paid?

Due to an NDA that information is not going to be released to the public.

• vedranvedran Veteran

oh, wow

This is completely unexpected.

• I have to respect VMPort's decision here.

They noticed that some products may become loss leading - stuck it out for the customers and found them a suitable home.

Good luck for the future.

Thanked by 1beard
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited May 2012

Received this email:
    Attention all VMPort Customers,
    Per our email sent out yesterday we are going to be migrating VMPort customers into our fully owned equipment.
    You will have the option to migrate to one of the following facilities:
    US Available Location Choices:

• Los Angeles, CA (west coast)
    • Kansas City, MO (midwest)
    • Dallas, TX (central coast)
    • New York City, NY (east coast)

Europe Location:

• Steinsel, Luxembourg
      Please submit a support ticket with your desired location choice, upon opening your ticket please state if you require us to migrate your data or not. We can migrate your files at no cost, however if you do not require any data migrated you would be online on the new infrastructure much quicker, data transfer time depends on many different factors as you know. If you wish to migrate data yourself please let us know and we will create you a new VPS in the location of your choice and keep your old VPS online for a limited period of time for you to perform the migration.
      XEN/HVM Customers will be migrated onto our OpenVZ platform.
      For customers who currently have a Germany or UK based VPS with us, we understand that latency is important and you would likely want your VPS to be located in Europe as well. Please note that our Europe location, Luxembourg is about 100 miles away from Germany and about 300 miles away from the UK.
      Please see the following screenshots courtesy of Google Maps:
      London, UK to Steinsel, Luxembourg: 360.70 miles - Click here for screenshot
      Dusseldorf, Germany to Steinsel, Luxembourg: 152.10 miles - Click here for screenshot

As you can see Luxembourg is a central location in Europe, not far from Germany or UK at all so if you are concerned about latency this shouldn't be a problem at all, and our hardware and excellent network will be able to compensate for the slight difference.
    Moving forward, please submit a ticket to support with your desired choice of location in one of our locations in the USA or our Luxembourg location. If we do not hear back from you within 48 hours, we will automatically migrate your VPS to a location of our choice based on availability.
    Thank you for your cooperation - we are confident that you will enjoy our hardware and improved performance as we use RAID protected drives and Intel Sandybridge processors. As we fully own our servers and equipment we have better control over the hardware and will be able to provide you with better support as well.
    We look forward to hearing back from you.
    Regards,
    VMPort Support

Wow, this is dirty, closing the UK/Germany locations and forcing Xen/HVM customers onto OpenVZ? I don't think you will be retaining many customers if you go through with this.

• They aren't buying/leasing the hardware but just taking all of the customers. So what other "assets" did VMPort have?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2012

I respect the decision, however this strategy will not end well imo, it now just sounds like an outright client sale, I now assume by "Assets" you were referring to customers not equipment.

A tad misleading

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • tuxtux Member
    edited May 2012

XEN/HVM Customers will be migrated onto our OpenVZ platform.

Bad move. Why you do this?

• FTNEthanFTNEthan Member
    edited May 2012

Actually a majority of the customers are OpenVZ. We will not be going into details with exact figures however the majority of the client base are on OVZ plans, and it makes sense for us to do this.

Yes, the company has been promoting KVM lately and it has been trying to be its main focus, however even if all the KVM/XEN customers canceled, it wouldn't make or break anything, as the majority of the client base are on the OVZ platform.

Regards, Ethan

• camargcamarg Member
    edited May 2012

@FTNEthan this is only for HVM or for PV also?

• @camarg -

XEN (PV and HVM) & KVM plans are being moved to OVZ platforms.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I haven't even received this eMail. And I surely do not plan to leave the UK location. Again, this all sucks big time.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

There is also major data protection issues with this depending on if the customer info was stored within an EU location and is now going to be taken outside of the EU.

It would actually be downright illegal to do so.

Thanked by 3nabo tux gsrdgrdghd